So it's the road that's dangerous, not the users ?!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beardy

Re: So it's the road that's dangerous, not the users ?!!

Post by beardy »

The road doesnt look dangerous, it was only after he left it that his bike got damaged. :lol:

PS: There should be a warning about videos like that, it bought back buried memories.
jezer

Post by jezer »

How can a road be dangerous? It's a static object, only people who use roads can be dangerous :shock:
Power to the pedals
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The silly idea that a road can be dangerous reminds me of a friend who slid off a narrow lane on loose gravel but was lucky enough to hit only the grass bank. He turned to me and said, "that wasn't fair". I laughed at him.
There is the road, its your job to drive on it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

"his motorbike crossed the white line"
jezer

Post by jezer »

I'm reminded of a TV interview with a police traffic officer a while ago who said there was no such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous drivers. How true that is :?
Power to the pedals
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Police are investigating, hope they prosecute, I also hope his insurance doesn't pay out.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

:evil: :evil:
Show a video of someone doing something stupid, then claim the road is dangerous!?!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
beardy

Post by beardy »

Postboxer wrote:Police are investigating, hope they prosecute, I also hope his insurance doesn't pay out.

Well the insurance has to pay out, you insure yourself by paying money to them so that when you do something wrong they have to pay the bill. He did not deliberately ride the bike off the road, he just rode very poorly.

On the other hand they can decide to charge him a VERY large amount for future insurance to recoup money and because he is such a bad risk.
If he has, or gets a car, they can hit him there too.

If he has any sense he may not have claimed on this anyway.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

beardy wrote:If he has any sense he may not have claimed on this anyway.

Can't exactly leave the "motor vehicle accident in the last few years" box unticked now though. :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Some years ago I was at the Inquiry into the proposed "improvement" of the Crimea Pass road. A young woman gave evidence claiming that the present road was dsangerous. She had driven off the road twice at the same place!
Last edited by Mike Sales on 3 Apr 2014, 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

You see behaviour like that every day, just usually doesn't result in any damage. I think the truth is it's a rare rider/driver that hasn't overcooked or come close to overcooking it on a bend, particularly when young and inexperienced. Fortunately most such incidents result in nothing than a panic brake and a long slow exhale...

I don't think he'd have had any problem getting around that bend but I think he saw the car, panicked and touched the front brake, this would have stood the bike up and made it impossible to continue around it.

If nothing else I bet he's a lot better rider now than he was.

(Don't really understand why he released the footage)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Complete idiot. So he 'lived to tell the tale' did he? More accurate would be to put it 'lived so that he can kill someone in future'... :evil:

I hope the police do prosecute, and that he gets a lengthy ban for dangerous driving. And an extended re-test before he's ever allowed on the road again.

As for publishing the video - that's pure bravado and might inspire copycats. The BBC were wrong to feature this story. Leave it to youtube.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:More accurate would be to put it 'lived so that he can kill someone in future'... :evil:

I doubt that's true. IME most people need a wake up call to the quality of their driving (I know I had one ;) )

It's when you drive like a pratt and manage to keep things under control, before long you start congratulating yourself on your skill and presuming that good control skills equates to safer driving. Virtually every motorist that passes you thinks like that, they're all better than average and therefore safer at 45 in a 30 than your average driver.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Who was holding the twistgrip?