Lazy drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Hobbs1951

Re: Lazy drivers

Post by Hobbs1951 »

[/quote]Kinda like this perhaps?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... sted=0&v=y

Surprised nobody else has linked to it before. Maybe I missed the thread somewhere.[/quote]

Just like that except I was the bike (in my Volvo) and the van was the bike - if that makes sense?

Jon.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

ian s wrote:Yes, that style of driving has increased. I am not sure that it is laziness, though that probably is at least part of it. The attitude for some these days seems to simply be that "I am more important than you, and I don't give a damn about you". This is typified by passing parked cars their own side of the road even when there is oncoming traffic (possibly a bicycle that can be ignored completely), passing cycles and causing oncoming traffic to take avoiding action, pulling part way out of side roads so obstructing traffic from the right, etc, etc. Is it because of a lack of policing, I am not sure that it is, though that may be part of it.

Very much agree with this and would add the opening car doors into the road . I was always taught to check the road for traffic before doing this . Now many see it as their right to do it and then leave the door open. Usually the bigger the car the worse the offending
Magicman

Post by Magicman »

Trigger wrote:It also seems as though around where I live nobody knows that when the obstruction is on their side of the road then they should be giving way, instead they just keep coming and expect me to take evasive action, on bike or in car.

Same here. I can be just 30 meters from my house and there'll be a parked car on the other side of the road, and the car coming the other way will swing right out and come straight at me - the road is not wide enough for 2 buses to pass each other, so a car doing such a foolish move leaves me with about 1ft wobble room if that. I have a 135DB airhorn fitted to my bike, which gets sounded at such circumstances - some drivers looks absolutely astounded (whether that be because they weren't expecting such a loud noise, or that a cyclist 'has the audacity to blast a horn at them' I don't know), others completely nonchalant, and yet others blast their horn back at me! I've even had one that was waiting behind a parked car because there was a car a few meters in front of me going in the same direction as myself, the waiting car let that car go and then put on his full beam headlights and pulled around the parked car and came straight at me. Whether you call that lazy driving, or something entirely different is up to you!