Retorts

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Retorts

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:I just ignore it. Or at least, I tried not to let it bother me. I've let people yelling stupid stuff ruin my ride in the past. I try not to let it get to me, now.
+1

I've had standup arguments before.
I really can't be bothered now.
Just ignore.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

jezer wrote:Perhaps a little ironic wave as they go past, although I don't expect many drivers actually use their mirrors to see what is going on around them :?

Yeah, I often wave. I can't tell what they're saying and it's possible it's a friend driving past. Happened to us on a day trip this weekend: car very patiently waiting behind us, amazingly patiently, then honks and something's shouted as it turns off behind us. It was the partner of one of the day-trippers. :lol:

If I do hear what they're saying and it's in the "get off the road" style or telling me to do something else debatably dangerous, I may shout back "learn the highway code" but that in itself could be said to be breaking highway code rule 147. :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Mick F wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I just ignore it. Or at least, I tried not to let it bother me. I've let people yelling stupid stuff ruin my ride in the past. I try not to let it get to me, now.
+1

I've had standup arguments before.
I really can't be bothered now.
Just ignore.

+1 to both the above. I try (but don't always succeed) not to sink to the 'street yob' level.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
hercule

Post by hercule »

It's remarkable, but since I moved over to recumbents, especially trikes, such issues have become a memory. Almost everyone moves over to the opposite lane to pass, only once in 7 years have I heard abuse shouted from a car window. When I ride my uprights I'm quite shocked by the much closer passing distances. I'm a bit slower on the trike - by surprisingly little - but the response from other road users more than compensates. Most other recumbent riders will describe the same phenomenon.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The idiots think a recumbent is a wheelchair user's bike, don't they? Even they're not into abusing people using mobility aids yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
kwackers wrote:If you're an idiot you shout stuff out of your car window, that's what idiots do. I get it all the time when out jogging let alone cycling. Water off a ducks back, I barely notices it these days plus I very rarely hear what it is they've shouted.

When I was running regularly, almost every training run which was almost solely on pavements up to five days a week would get some verbal abuse from car drivers, they would even throw half empty cans at me :evil:

Even peds would verbally abuse me.......
1) I was on my own
2) young men / boys....drunk........
3) Its actually what they wish they were doing but took the easy option, so they bash you with their inferiority complex ( bullying).
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

It just shows their intelligence if they're shouting at you out of the window. The only thing you'll hear is the "Wwwwaa...". So for all you know they could be air-guitaring and just enjoying their drive!! :roll:
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I rarely get any issues when I'm riding by myself, apart from close passes and the likes of course.

But when I'm riding with others, we will be guaranteed to get at least one car beeping at us, often people leaning out of windows shouting etc. I don't know if there's changed mindset between seeing a single cyclist and a group, that the group is less human somehow?
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

To be honest, it shouldn't make a difference if it's a single rider or two abreast, as the car STILL should give at LEAST a car's width, and thus be overtaking in the other lane.

Yeah, I know. I'm living in a dreamworld... :roll:
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mark1978 wrote:I rarely get any issues when I'm riding by myself, apart from close passes and the likes of course.

But when I'm riding with others, we will be guaranteed to get at least one car beeping at us, often people leaning out of windows shouting etc. I don't know if there's changed mindset between seeing a single cyclist and a group, that the group is less human somehow?

I've found it's the 2 abreast that winds people up. Many drivers seem to think you shouldn't ever ride 2 abreast, even though it's perfectly legal and the Highway code says you can.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I did a straw poll at work on the issue of riding two abreast.

Incredibly, the vast majority of those questioned firmly believed that riding two abreast was illegal and were shocked to learn that it wasn't.

Where on earth did they get that idea?????
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Stradageek wrote:I did a straw poll at work on the issue of riding two abreast.

Incredibly, the vast majority of those questioned firmly believed that riding two abreast was illegal and were shocked to learn that it wasn't.

Where on earth did they get that idea?????

From being in a car - where they are three abreast, even when on their own.

Oh hang on that makes as much sense as their assertion.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can we mind our language please?
One or two posts now edited.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Highway code states "Never cycle more than 2 abreast", but many people seem to think it says "Never cycle 2 abreast".

Perhaps a suitable retort would be "Read the Highway Code" or "Rule 66".
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Or a T-shirt with 'Morons shout out of car windows' on the back.