Retorts

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Retorts

Post by TrevA »

The Great British Motoring Public were out in force on our group ride today, with their close passes, hoots and comments shouted from windows.

We had both "get on the cycle path" and "get in single file" in quick succession. It's all to easy to give them the V sign back or tell them to "go forth and multiply", but does anyone have any quick, witty (or otherwise) and preferably non-sweary retorts to use in these situations?

PS the cycle path was a 100 yard affair next to the other carriageway - hardly worth bothering with. The "Single File" was on a wide, 2 lane road, otherwise deserted apart from 4 of us and the very small car.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
661-Pete

Re: Retorts

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, for starters, "We are on the cycle path". All carriageways (apart from motorways etc) are rights-of-way for cyclists.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I just ignore it. Or at least, I tried not to let it bother me. I've let people yelling stupid stuff ruin my ride in the past. I try not to let it get to me, now.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

I guess if you told them they'd be best to judge if your bum looks big on that bike, it'll at least stun them for a moment.

Am with Vorpal on this: don't let it ruin your ride.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

You get on the cycle path!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Think about what you want to achieve with any reply. I suspect that however clever a case you put in the few words they might hear, they will not be changing their attitudes. You might manage to annoy them (maybe making them more anti-cyclist). You might relieve your own frustration/irritation at such stupidity but they will still be convinced they are "right".

And not responding, by completely ignoring them you are in effect responding, basically saying that they are beneath your contempt, not worth the trouble of even acknowledging.

Ian
jezer

Post by jezer »

Perhaps a little ironic wave as they go past, although I don't expect many drivers actually use their mirrors to see what is going on around them :?
Power to the pedals
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:And not responding, by completely ignoring them you are in effect responding, basically saying that they are beneath your contempt, not worth the trouble of even acknowledging.
I'd like to be convinced of that, but with respect, I'm not always sure it works that way. The offender may be thinking, in what's left of his brain cells, "I've really needled that cyclist, he's afraid even to react..."

I have in the past been on the receiving end of some pretty unpleasant stuff, nothing to do with road incidents I should emphasise. How I dealt with it is my own affair, but once again, well meaning folk, trying to 'help', gave me the advice "try to put it out of your mind Pete". In the end I resorted to more professional advice, somewhat different, and more to the point...

I'm not suggesting that cyclists who've had a nasty encounter on the road should automatically flee shrieking to the shrink, but we have had at least one thread recently where the poster says they have lost the motivation to go out cycling altogether after a couple of crashes.
Last edited by 661-Pete on 17 Mar 2014, 9:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There is very little constructive dialogue to be had in these situations.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Thank them for paying road tax?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If you're an idiot you shout stuff out of your car window, that's what idiots do. I get it all the time when out jogging let alone cycling. Water off a ducks back, I barely notices it these days plus I very rarely hear what it is they've shouted.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Always difficult to decide what to do. Not sure if there should be different responses to different situations. Maybe it's me, and perhaps I should not admit it, but, I find a string of expletives works very well, 'clears the air' and then I can get on and enjoy my ride!
As an afterthought had a perfect example today, riding over a bridge, double white lines, in primary - small car just managed to squeeze past, almost touching my elbow. Was actually able, with no effort, to bang on the roof. He then accelerated off leaving some choice language and a royal wave in his wake. Best part was the next car that didn't push past turned out to be a copper, who pulled me over and said that I shouldn't be using threatening language and gestures like that! Not bothered that the buttock could have taken me out, give me strength!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
ian s

Post by ian s »

Sadly, Phil, that is the sort of idiotic attitude that is all that the police seem to be capable of these days. They don't punish the wrong doer, because it is easier for them to lecture/remonstrate/blame with the victim. Very often the victim presents themselves, (reporting the crime), so have a go at them; it saves searching out the culprit.
hamster

Post by hamster »

There is a great Far side cartoon...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Perhaps I was being over sensistive. We've just returned from a week's cycling in Fuerteventura (Canaries) where the drivers could not have been more courteous and considerate. They have the 1.5m minimum pass rule there and people were pulling onto the opposite carraigeway to overtake, even on desereted country roads. Then we come back home and you're lucky if you get 15cm clearance!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com