Yet another road rage incident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

Yet another road rage incident

Post by hondated »

I am not sure whether given the language used whether this is permissible to post but I am sure if it isn't the mods will take it down.
The purpose of posting is that its a warning to everyone that it just is not worth getting into any form of confrontation out there on the road.
Whilst the driver seemed to be the aggressor in this instance he could should consider himself to have been lucky in meeting a cyclist who was not a bit " handy " with his fists.

****warning: bad language****
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oId4X6FIADE

Oh yes it also took place local to me so whilst cycling in my armoured gear next time out I will be on the look out for this car.
Bicycler

Re: Yet another road rage incident

Post by Bicycler »

From the Highway Code:
You should... not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

This wouldn't have happened if either party followed that advice
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It just illustrates how things can just 'boil over'. Luckily it doesn't seem to have ended up with injuries - or worse - apart from bruised egos.
I think we all make mistakes. From the description it looks as if the cyclist had earlier given the motorist the finger. Unwise - but I've done it too...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

You know how motorists can be more aggressive with relative safety when in their cars? They honk horns at people and rev engines with a level of aggression you would very rarely encounter if you were both pedestrians. I think cyclists sometimes feel the same way, separated from the person they are giving abuse to because the other person is in a car. Let's face it there's little chance you'd give another cyclist or a pedestrian the finger.

Anyone else remember a scene in Open All Hours with Granville pulling faces at an apparent van driver only to find it's a bloke on a bike on the other side of the van?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

My thoughts were; why would you stop? The cyclist had room to evade the man as he was on the road and could have pulled out around him.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

eileithyia wrote:My thoughts were; why would you stop? The cyclist had room to evade the man as he was on the road and could have pulled out around him.

Because the likelihood is that the bloke would come after you in his car, be even more wound up than before, and probably try to knock you off!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

He is quite obviously a ........
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It looks like the police are following this up:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11087229 ... nt/?ref=mr
Incidentally, the video on this link has been *bleep*'d so as not to offend genteel Argus readership... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:It looks like the police are following this up:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11087229 ... nt/?ref=mr
Incidentally, the video on this link has been *bleep*'d so as not to offend genteel Argus readership... :roll:

Whatever you do, don't read the comments. Someone let the DM readership loose in there.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
honesty

Post by honesty »

Some of them are shocking, to say the least.

I always find it amazing that there does seem to be quite a wide ranging acceptance that escalating to violence is ok if its been provoked. In my mind the jump from words to physical acts is never justified no matter what comes beforehand, but whenever you get cases like this you always see rather a large number of people asking what was said before.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:Whatever you do, don't read the comments. Someone let the DM readership loose in there.
I didn't read them. I'd say, let them put the boot in if that's what human nature is all about - better on that story, than have them spout their evil trash all over a cyclist's dead body - as so often happens :( . Or gloat over Mick Jagger's expression just as he was told the news of his beloved's death...
gaz

Post by gaz »

Driver...
...pleaded guilty to using threatening or abusive words or behaviour with intent to cause the victim to think violence would be used against him.

The assault charge was dropped, but during his appearance at Hastings Magistrates' Court, Baldwin was fined £505, and ordered to pay £135 costs and victim surcharge.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/ne ... ist-23000/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
beardy

Post by beardy »

He is clearly wealthy enough that he will not miss the money or be much punished by that fine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:Driver...
...pleaded guilty to using threatening or abusive words or behaviour with intent to cause the victim to think violence would be used against him.

The assault charge was dropped, but during his appearance at Hastings Magistrates' Court, Baldwin was fined £505, and ordered to pay £135 costs and victim surcharge.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/ne ... ist-23000/

...and - alas! - the usual 'crop' of vile comments thereunder.

He may be able to afford the fine, but will he need to tell his insurers? Depends whether it counts as a motoring conviction. It would be interesting to learn what his premiums get hiked up to.... :twisted:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote: ... He may be able to afford the fine, but will he need to tell his insurers? Depends whether it counts as a motoring conviction. It would be interesting to learn what his premiums get hiked up to.... :twisted:

Afaik, it's a standard condition of many / most / all (?) types of insurance that all unspent convictions have to be disclosed.