get off your phone!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: get off your phone!!

Post by reohn2 »

Edwards wrote:The solution is very simple when the device is moving above walking pace it switches off.

You're forgetting peoples human rights :wink:
Have individuals become that important they need to be contacted all the time?

Oh! didn't you know?Haven't you heard?
I'm so important that I need 24/7 access to Twitter,Facebook and the wibbly wobbly way,IT'S MY HUMAN RIGHT! :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Wouldn't work when you're using your phone as a sat nav though.

Easy, if you're caught, you lose your phone!

And your licence!

And your car!

There's just no excuse, not usually anyway.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

There is an article just on the BBC website about how to get people to stop using their phones while driving.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-28325532
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

So long as hands free systems are allowed they can do whatever they like to curb handling a mobile/media device (this should includes sat nav as well), and trying to make a comparison between a hands free chat and saying it is no different is garbage, I've even seen the test they did (to one serial mobile phone user) and it isn't anything like a normal discussion/chat on the phone hands free or otherwise..
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Just make the penalty greater and catch more people, if it meant losing your car, then for a couple of months the press was full of endless stories of people losing their cars, people would stop, it wouldn't be worth it.

More people would cycle too!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Postboxer wrote:Just make the penalty greater and catch more people, if it meant losing your car, then for a couple of months the press was full of endless stories of people losing their cars, people would stop, it wouldn't be worth it.

More people would cycle too!

Complete agreement!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mjr

Post by mjr »

I saw a new one today: a bus driver appeared to be reading a book while driving. Discussion with the Stagecoach brand responsible is at https://mobile.twitter.com/Norfolkgreen ... 6821367808
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
binsted

Post by binsted »

Its bloody tractors around here now and I am getting fed up with it. Wish the police would target them.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I suspect the reason some people don;t use hands-free is that they are actually texting, not talking. Which is, if possible, even worse.
At one point a while back, just after the penalties went up, it seemed that people were driving and using phones rather less. Now, presumably, the fear has worn off and people realise they're unlikely ever to get caught or punished if caught, it's getting even worse than it ever was IMHO.
SoloRider

Post by SoloRider »

No, I think that the hand-held bit is really bad. I can spot a mobile phone user when I am behind them as they are drifting uncontrollably about, especially when they are dialling the number - a point which is often overlooked and is just as bad with hands-free of course.

Texting? More like tweeting etc. I often look in my mirror to see people slowing down to take photos on their phones, presumably to tweet. I am convinced that all the queues caused by rubber-necking at accidents on the other carriageway of motorways is largely a result of people taking pics to tweet/fb. Sad or what?

I would say about half to two thirds of drivers suddenly start looking at their laps when slowing down in queues - presumably playing with their damn phones. Another aspect that is bad is that devices are all touch-screen now so there is no alternative other than to look directly at them to operate them (no tactile feedback as you would get from real keyboards).

Something needs to be done as I reckon this is the major cause of all the shunts and smidsys we see today; I doubt anything will/can be done though, sadly. :|
mjr

Post by mjr »

To operate a touchscreen phone without looking, use voice control or a Morse code keyboard. It's still a distraction, so I only do it while walking, not driving or riding. It's better than all the phone zombies you see walking around...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

SoloRider wrote:
Texting? More like tweeting etc. I often look in my mirror to see people slowing down to take photos on their phones, presumably to tweet. I am convinced that all the queues caused by rubber-necking at accidents on the other carriageway of motorways is largely a result of people taking pics to tweet/fb. Sad or what?

Something needs to be done as I reckon this is the major cause of all the shunts and smidsys we see today; I doubt anything will/can be done though, sadly. :|

Rubbernecking was, sadly, common well before mobile phones. But I'm willing to believe they may have made it worse.