Wearing a camera

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jughead

Wearing a camera

Post by Jughead »

I think all cyclists should wear a cam easily visible to other road users. I really have noticed a huge difference in how drivers treat me. I have a cam attached to the right hand side of the handlebars so that drivers can clearly see it. It really has made a difference with less dodgy overtaking.
Grumbleweed

Re: Wearing a camera

Post by Grumbleweed »

I find wiggling my elbow about a bit makes them slow down pretty sharpish before they overtake!
gaz

Post by gaz »

If fitting a camera makes motorists think twice about close overtakes why is their so much camera footage of close overtakes? :?

If your camera makes such a difference to the behaviour of other road users why are you seeing more RLJing cyclists? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I think the judge's wig idea is better. All cyclists who don't have long blonde hair should wear a judge's wig.
Grumbleweed

Post by Grumbleweed »

patricktaylor wrote:I think the judge's wig idea is better. All cyclists who don't have long blonde hair should wear a judge's wig.

My pal has a Czech goretex jacket that says 'Polizia'on the back, seems to do the trick!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jughead wrote:I think all cyclists should wear a cam easily visible to other road users. I really have noticed a huge difference in how drivers treat me. I have a cam attached to the right hand side of the handlebars so that drivers can clearly see it. It really has made a difference with less dodgy overtaking.

Would most drivers even know what it is (if they even noticed something relatively small attached to your handlebars. Some cameras look similar to front lights (the "tube" style light). Until I started cycling again (recently) I was not even aware that there were cameras that cyclists could "wear" and certainly not aware cyclists used them. So even if I noticed something on a handlebar (unlikely) I would not have known what it was. I suspect many non-cyclist drivers would be in the same position.

Ian
Grumbleweed

Post by Grumbleweed »

There is a whole You Tube subculture devoted to helmet sites bike cams.
downfader

Post by downfader »

gaz wrote:If fitting a camera makes motorists think twice about close overtakes why is their so much camera footage of close overtakes? :?

If your camera makes such a difference to the behaviour of other road users why are you seeing more RLJing cyclists? :wink:

As someone who uses cameras I agree. The camera is too small to be noticed by a driver who is already inattentive. However it has had its uses in a "calm down, mate, you're on camera" way a couple of times.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

....or when you know the guy revving in the outside lane is going to left hook.

Just smile, tap camera and the problem is solved
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

The police jacket is by far the best idea. Unfortunately a court order prevents me from impersonating an officer ever again. It wasn't my fault i lost the keys to the cuffs :D
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

I've been considering getting a camera for a while after a series of near misses. However I've decided against it. I think I would be subconsciously on the lookout for incidents to justify the expense! Having a camera on hat or bars would be constant reminder of the fact that I'm at a (tiny, and over-exaggerated) risk of being wiped out by an idiot.

I'd rather just enjoy my riding!
mjr

Post by mjr »

If (and that's a big IF) I've understood it correctly, our local police seem to be of the view that timestamped handlebar camera footage would be useful for road rage or the various T-bone incidents, but not that much use for close passes or many other near-misses because most cameras aren't aimed sideways in a way that would capture where the bike ended and where the car was while passing, so it would be difficult to explain to magistrates and juries that what looked borderline was actually far too close.

I have one mainly because a coward got out of his car, shouted threats and ran after me when there were no witnesses around. Next time... but of course, that was one in *mumble* years...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
downfader

Post by downfader »

Rob Archer wrote:I've been considering getting a camera for a while after a series of near misses. However I've decided against it. I think I would be subconsciously on the lookout for incidents to justify the expense! Having a camera on hat or bars would be constant reminder of the fact that I'm at a (tiny, and over-exaggerated) risk of being wiped out by an idiot.

I'd rather just enjoy my riding!

People dont just use cameras for "insurance". Theres lots of riders on youtube using them to document routes and rides.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I don't expect drivers to register anything much beyond "duh, bike, maybe better not hit um, maybe scratch um car". They certainly don't see mirrors: I can be staring at them in the mirror and they'll still honk.

Hopefully all over their laps.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Graham

Post by Graham »

If I could get hold of a hi-vis vest printed, on the back, with
"Camera Running"
or
"Camera On"

I would certainly wear it. . . . . even though I don't carry a cam when riding !