Police Thugs

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Police Thugs

Post by thirdcrank »

I've already said that I know my other thread is hardly scientific, but I think the context of this incident is important. At that time, after a well-publicised series of deaths of cyclists the police were under some pressure to do something. The result was a road safety campaign, where the authorities were keen to show that they were being somehow even-handed between the HGV's and the cyclists. I presumed - as I've posted - that this incident was one of many, but in this case aggravated by the rider being floored to stop them. In fact, one of the few other recent "road safety advice" incidents I've been unable to track down has involved the same rider.

If there's going to be some policy to tackle something, it's handy to know what's happening and how frequently it's happening. The slogan in the common knuckle tattoo, ACAB may well be true but let's be a bit more specific.

(Edited to make clear that I intended to say that this incident was aggravated by the way the rider was stopped. My original wording was ambiguous.)
Last edited by thirdcrank on 17 Dec 2014, 7:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:The less than worthy police officers are worthy of scrutiny, and where necessary action, but there are also hard working, honest and even brave officers who are worthy of our support.

And how do we tell the two groups apart? They don't wear badges and until they do then given the effect they can have on your life it seems logical to treat them all with upmost suspicion.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
nickbutler80

Post by nickbutler80 »

I am suffering from a muscular upper arm issue caused (2 months ago) when I was forced by pedestrians on a narrow footpath who blocked my way too close to a brick wall. They didn't see my high viz or my helmet! If you were grabbed and held you should report it. Nick bass cyclist.
nickbutler80

Post by nickbutler80 »

I should have added it the path i referred to is a dual use path! You were absolutely right to pick up on that element of my account.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Although it's not mentioned by name in this thread, I think the discussion here was mainly about "Operation Safeway."

I've already linked to the following item on the CTC www in another context but I don't think anybody has mentioned this bit:-

During the recent Operation Safeway, cyclists were issued with over 4,000 fines, while drivers received more than 9,000 fines for offences including driving without insurance and driving without a seatbelt.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/margaretanne ... 0%99s-bike

AFAIK, Operation Safeway was the police response to the deaths of a number of cyclists where a common feature was large tipper trucks. The link doesn't specify which offences were enforced against cyclists - some pavement cycling in there, I fancy - but I'm bemused about the connection between motorists without seatbelts and cyclists being crushed under tipper trucks. :?

It's a pity there's no national organisation campaigning on behalf of cyclists to establish what went on in greater detail and raise a fuss.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I note in that article that CTC back up the HC instructing cyclists to single out on a narrow road or a bend, then contradicts that by suggesting riding in the middle of a narrow road (should be bend too) to avoid dangerous overtakes... :roll: