Bonnet surfing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
redfacedbaldfatman

Re: Bonnet surfing

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

Adam S wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:(Interestingly she let slip the gent's name - I might go googling)

Surely you're entitled to know this? After all, this is part of the information that he should have given you at the time

+1, you should be entitled to his name and insurance details at the very least.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

redfacedbaldfatman wrote:
Adam S wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:(Interestingly she let slip the gent's name - I might go googling)

Surely you're entitled to know this? After all, this is part of the information that he should have given you at the time

Probably - I can probably wait to claim for the broken mudguard though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

redfacedbaldfatman wrote:
Adam S wrote:

Fotms have comethrough, I can do insurance whenever, details availableafter 28 days if he didn't give them to me at the time - which is kind of the whole point..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Had a call this morning from the Police, who came to take a better statement this afternoon.

Also learnt that there were other witnesses who have provided their statements. The gent concerned is looking at Dangerous Driving at the moment, although obviously the CPS are the ones who eventually decide what is charged.

I'm not saying anything else here for the moment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have an idea that its fashionable today for Gov and just about any publicly employed organisation to be found surfing forums and alike even monitoring for ways to improve their image...............................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Letter today inviting me to court to give evidence... in August...

Fortunately it's the day *before* I go on holiday, not the day after.

Charges are driving without due care and attention and failure to stop
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

He's changed plea to guilty... Just have to wait to see what he gets handed down.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well at least he admits to it :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote:Well at least he admits to it :) .

eventually ....
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Glad to hear you're OK Bob and that things seem to be going the right way for you. I trust that there was shiny paint on your shoe cleats? :wink: The one time I did a spot of bonnet surfing, I had a good hold onto the wiper blades :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Result - just had a call from the courts...

£400 fine, £40 victim surcharge, £200 costs
£130 compensation (which I should see)

Also 9 points on his license, so he needs to be a bit careful over the next few years...
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

A result, are you happy with the penalties?

If he doesn't pay, send the bailiffs round for his Porsche :twisted:

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Neilo wrote:A result, are you happy with the penalties?

I don't know yet. I need to think about it for a while.

Addition:
https://www.gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table
:arrow: Careless and inconsiderate driving:
£5,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification
3 to 9 points
:arrow: Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident:
6 months’ imprisonment / £5,000 fine / Discretionary disqualification
5 to 10 points

A fine of £400 out of a possible £10,000
9 points from a combined rate of 8-19
No disqualification

I think he's got off pretty lightly, but it is significantly more than the slap on the wrist we often see.
Still smiling outside court according to his F/book profile - that's the only thing that makes me think it wasn't quite enough - so I'm OK with it.

:idea: I think we (as a society) should make more use of short bans - 1 or 2 weeks would probably be enough to actually act as a deterrent, particularly if they were handed out regularly.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi
[XAP]Bob wrote: :idea: I think we (as a society) should make more use of short bans - 1 or 2 weeks would probably be enough to actually act as a deterrent, particularly if they were handed out regularly.

I always thought that bans not instead of mandatory fines / points but as well WOULD (well it would get me where it hurts, but not as much as some) have a positive effect on these ha ha people who live on the media and how bad you can behave for the biggest laugh even when its others life they are playing with.

An a ramping / toting up / of fines and short bans so third strike would mean say ten year ban plus forfeit of car etc. Then after that automatic jail for driving whilst banned instead of the usual slap on hand.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I would expect his insurance premium to jump a bit when he next renews, hitting his pocket. Assuming he tells them of the conviction of course.