Bonnet surfing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
redfacedbaldfatman

Re: Bonnet surfing

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

meic wrote:
You'd be surprised at the fuel economy though, driven gently mine manages 32MPG (cruise set at 50), even though it can also do 0-62 in 4.1 seconds.

Economy was okay, if you were gentle with it, I've seen 30MPG from it, on a trip to Cardiff!!

I would like to think that you were both joking here but I fear you were serious. My car gives 60mpg in real life with a load of timber and often when carrying more people than fit in a Porsche 911.

Not joking, for the performance, the economy can be quite good!
I have another large estate car which could carry a couple of dogs, bikes, camping gear etc, but unfortunately it can only manage 16MPG. Absolutely shocking I know but that's what a 500BHP V8 twin turbo does. Monumental overtaking power. The instantaneous MPG display shows "6" when the throttle is pinned. Not using it much these days, the bike is much cheaper to run. I am planning on using the bike for more practical purposes than just exploring the countryside: shopping runs. Even though my first attempt (with ortliebs) was unsuccessful - not because of the ortliebs but because the self checkout in Morrisons kept complaining about the weight of my Theakston's Old Peculier and the grumpy checkout assistant had to deal with 12 checkouts. So I walked out in a completely unnoticed mini protest.

Got a new topeak super tourist DX rack and MTX DXP trunkbag to fit this evening, so here's hoping the next shopping trip yields better results if they haven't banned me from Morrisons.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Sainsbury's self-checkout can't cope with me taking my own plastic carrier bags (for re-use). It gets all stroppy whatever I do.
I have to pile everything up on the weighing plate beyond the checkout, and when I've paid, get my bags out and pack. :evil:

Bonkers, but the machine won't either recognise my bags if I press the 'using own bags' thing, or ignore them completely, so I have no choice.

Maybe you could try that with your panniers?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a go at the self checkout thingy in Morrisons recently.

I put my hessian bag on the scale thing and pressed the right buttons and scanned my shopping and put the stuff in the bag and all was well until they wanted my money.

Where was my wallet?

In the bag! :lol:

I rooted through and pulled it out and the computer threw a wobbler coz the bag was too light!

I gave up, carried the shopping the a "real checkout" and went through far more easily.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Flinders wrote:Bonkers, but the machine won't either recognise my bags if I press the 'using own bags' thing, or ignore them completely, so I have no choice.

Yes, there's a choice: use a human-driven checkout. ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think the self checkout should come with a discount for doing their job for them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I come back to this thread after a short absence only to find we've gone from Bob getting knocked off his trike to self service checkouts.................I thinking of buying a pet snake.....................
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

Last time I used the self checkouts in Tesco I was made employee of the month. :)
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

reohn2 wrote:I come back to this thread after a short absence only to find we've gone from Bob getting knocked off his trike to self service checkouts.................I thinking of buying a pet snake.....................

from a self service checkout?
I`m def too old for this!
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

reohn2 wrote:I come back to this thread after a short absence only to find we've gone from Bob getting knocked off his trike to self service checkouts.................I thinking of buying a pet snake.....................

http://www.bristolreptileemporium.co.uk/ looks like a [place to start :D
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

AlaninWales wrote:

Is that the shop of the guy who got blasted on the bike forums recently for some aggressive driving or something? Hit'n run? Can't remember.

Methinks R2 is teasing.

Any updates Bob?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mrjemm wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:

Is that the shop of the guy who got blasted on the bike forums recently for some aggressive driving or something? Hit'n run? Can't remember.

Methinks R2 is teasing.

Any updates Bob?

Errr - is it :oops: ? I just googled Snake Emporium UK and it seemed suitable :wink:

Do you think so :shock: :?: :lol:

Yes - back to topic would be good if there are updates :)
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Sorry, wasn't that one. Just googled to see.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/road-e ... cks/014718

Was one in Birmingham. I'd guessed that you may've posted it for that reason, sorry.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just had a call with the case officer.

NIP isn't needed (the gent in question was talked to at the time), and there are Witness questionnaires in the post - assuming there is a decent body of evidence then the gent will be interviewed under caution.

So it's progressing...

(Interestingly she let slip the gent's name - I might go googling)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
(Interestingly she let slip the gent's name - I might go googling)

As much as I'd like to hear about it, don't post any details here as it may prejudice the case.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

[XAP]Bob wrote:(Interestingly she let slip the gent's name - I might go googling)

Surely you're entitled to know this? After all, this is part of the information that he should have given you at the time