Bonnet surfing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Re: Bonnet surfing

Postby reohn2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 am

Bob
IMO this scum got off light,very light,bearing in mind that his actions when requested for his details(which are a legal requirement after a collision)were deliberate and wilful which could have caused untold injuries and was only luck that they didn't.
TBH I think the penalty is a disgrace,though I'm not surprised by it in the least :twisted: .
The drying leaves begin to speak of summers end,
in preparation for golden days
All too soon the swallows will turn south for warmer climes
and another phase of endlessness begins......
reohn2

Postby Vorpal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 am

reohn2 wrote:I think the penalty is a disgrace,though I'm not surprised by it in the least :twisted: .

+1
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Postby kwackers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 am

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think the penalty is a disgrace,though I'm not surprised by it in the least :twisted: .

+1

On the other hand, people have killed and got away with less. So in that respect it's a good outcome.
kwackers

Postby Vorpal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:47 am

kwackers wrote:On the other hand, people have killed and got away with less. So in that respect it's a good outcome.

Yes, but they usually have some excuse, like not being able to see or something. Whereas
[XAP]Bob wrote:I was deliberately run over, from a standing start, whilst standing asking to exchange insurance details.

Shouild have gotten jail time. It would have if the driver had done something more blatant :roll: such as punch him.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Postby reohn2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:01 am

kwackers wrote:On the other hand, people have killed and got away with less. So in that respect it's a good outcome.

There can be no mitigating circumstances for deliberately running down someone who is asking for insurance details after a collision.
So the perp is guilty,without doubt.
The penalty is extremely lenient for assault with a deadly weapon IMO
A month or two in jail(preferably with hard labour),confiscation of the weapon,12month driving ban with driving retest,anger management course and adequate compensation to the victim would make scumboy think again next time.
reohn2

Postby karlt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 am

reohn2 wrote:

There can be no mitigating circumstances for deliberately running down someone who is asking for insurance details after a collision.
A month or two in jail(preferably with hard labour),confiscation of the weapon,12month driving ban with driving retest,anger management course and adequate compensation to the victim would make scumboy think again next time.

It would be, but the guy wasn't charged with assault, or indeed any offence involving intent, so the lenient penalty is to be expected. Is there an explanation of why the charge was only Careless Driving, Bob, given that there was apparently intent? Lack of evidence?
karlt

Postby [XAP]Bob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 am

karlt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It would be, but the guy wasn't charged with assault, or indeed any offence involving intent, so the lenient penalty is to be expected. Is there an explanation of why the charge was only Careless Driving, Bob, given that there was apparently intent? Lack of evidence?

No idea, I was never consulted by the CPS, nor the magistrate.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

[XAP]Bob

Postby Postboxer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I agree with many of the above posts, I think it's far too lenient for the offence but at the same time it's good that were was a conviction, given the all too many stories of people getting away with worse.

It's a bit depressing to be happy with it just because it's better than nothing. I think most of the people on here would agree there needs to be more convictions for driving offences and that the penalties should be more severe.
Postboxer

Postby Vantage » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:50 am

Postboxer wrote:I think most of the people on here would agree there needs to be more convictions for driving offences and that the penalties should be more severe.

For this sort of act, I'm all for bringing back public stoning.
I'm glad the lunatic got something though.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Lost the will to ride :(
Vantage

Postby reohn2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Vantage wrote:For this sort of act, I'm all for bringing back public stoning.......

Bricks have sharper corners :D
reohn2

Postby Vantage » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 pm

I like the way you think reohn2 :D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Lost the will to ride :(
Vantage

Previous

Return to On the road