CTC Council member critically ill after accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
uppadine

CTC Council member critically ill after accident

Post by uppadine »

John Radford, Chairman of Huddersfield CTC and a member of CTC National Council was struck by a car in New Mill, Huddersfield a few days ago. The Huddersfield Examiner reported it
http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/cyclist-injured-accident-huddersfield-road-5390477
John is critically ill in Leeds General Infirmary, in the Intensive Care Unit. A few weeks ago he was struck from behind by a woman in her 70s, waking up in hospital, and was frustrated that the police refused to prosecute the woman, their justification being that it would serve no purpose. John took the Road Justice Campaign booklet produced by the CTC and others, to Mark Burns-Williamson, the West Yorkshire Crime and Police Commissioner, on July 11th, asking that police procedures be revised. And three weeks later he is now in ICU, with (I gather) the driver and passenger arrested.
Ray

Re: CTC Council member critically ill after accident

Post by Ray »

Terrible news. This has also been reported on the YACF(orum).

John is well known and respected for his work for other cyclists, and seems to have had more than his share of misfortune on the road. We'll all be hoping he makes a quick and complete recovery.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
langsett

John Radford

Post by langsett »

Sadly i have to inform members that CTC councillor, Huddersfield DA Chairman and event organiser John Radford was hit by a car on Wednesday and is critically ill in Leeds gen Infirmary. He is in an induced coma, with head injuries

John was on a solo ride, having packed on LEL on Monday. We traveled back from Darlington together on the train!

arrests have been made and the people bailed

At this time it is wait hope and pray for John and family
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

:(

I'm sad to hear it. I wish him and his friends and family well in this stressful time. I hope he makes a full recovery.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

This is really distressing, I don't know John but I can only express my sincerest hope that he pulls through and without any lasting injuries.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

So sorry to hear this news about John, hoping he pulls thru and thoughts with all; friends and family.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

John's daughter reports on Huddersfield CTC Facebook page that John is still poorly, but now with a chest infection, still in a coma. There is a witness to say that he was driven at deliberately.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A ride has been organised...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78489
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

John remains very poorly, and after seven weeks in Leeds General Infirmary his tracheotomy had to be removed today; he is back on the High Dependency Unit, in coma. He has barely regained any signs of consciousness over this long period.
Aberdeen_lune

Post by Aberdeen_lune »

Thoughts are with him and his family. Moving from ICU to high dependency is a step in the right direction as is getting the dreaded tube out of his windpipe and breathing naturally. Hoping for a speedy recovery it's not a nice experience.
boris

Post by boris »

'''There is a witness to say that he was driven at deliberately''

err....wot?
so it's a hit then ? murder?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An update:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-29955074

(NB Although it's not clear from the rest of the thread, John Radford has died.)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

thirdcrank wrote:(NB Although it's not clear from the rest of the thread, John Radford has died.)

My deepest and sincere condolences to his family. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Condolences to family and friends RIP
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

RIP. I hope justice is done.