"Six powers we cyclists never knew we had"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
anothereye

"Six powers we cyclists never knew we had"

Post by anothereye »

Re: "Six powers we cyclists never knew we had"

Post by sirmy »

I did like this reply from AndrewW1 "If the experiences recounted above are correct and have all actually happened to Rosamund Urwin, she is in dire need of some cycling safety training as her cycling skills appear to be non existent. I don't mind a bit of journalistic license but this article goes too far.

Come on ES - time to start a campaign for free safety training for cyclists covering subjects such as "Do not put yourself in a position of danger", "Expect your fellow road users to do something stupid" and "It doesn't matter who caused the accident, you will be the one that gets hurt". Optional courses could include "cycling while listening to your iPod means you are unaware of what is going on around you" and "red lights mean stop" "

Obviously someone how has never sat on a bike as all of the "experiences recounted" can and do happen every day in every town and city. As for his list of suggested courses you can see where he's coming from when he suggests "It doesn't matter who caused the accident, you will be the one that gets hurt".

How about a campaign for drivers called "Don't put other road users in a position of danger", "Turn your radio down you idiot" and of "Expect your fellow road users to do something stupid" and "red lights mean stop" are already suitable titles for motorist education courses

Truly mind numbing it it's stupidity
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

sirmy wrote:time to start a campaign for free safety training for cyclists covering subjects such as "Do not put yourself in a position of danger", "Expect your fellow road users to do something stupid" and "It doesn't matter who caused the accident, you will be the one that gets hurt".

there's quite a few have taken heed of these three lessons. and ride on the path.

i try to take heed of these three lessons, yet still motorists do stupid, arrogant and dangerous things. perhaps they need further training?
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

hubgearfreak wrote:there's quite a few have taken heed of these three lessons. and ride on the path.

i try to take heed of these three lessons, yet still motorists do stupid, arrogant and dangerous things. perhaps they need further training?

+1
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

sirmy wrote:I did like this reply from AndrewW1 "If the experiences recounted above are correct and have all actually happened to Rosamund Urwin, she is in dire need of some cycling safety training as her cycling skills appear to be non existent. I don't mind a bit of journalistic license but this article goes too far.

No further than Top Gear goes in the other direction. And apparently that's popular entertainment.