Another cyclist killed by lorry in London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Geriatrix

Another cyclist killed by lorry in London

Post by Geriatrix »

RIP, My sympathies to his family.

BBC report on the incident http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23312059

LCC organising another protest ride on the 16th

Lorry driver has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Vorpal

Re: Another cyclist killed by lorry in London

Post by Vorpal »

:( My sympathies to friends and family.

So sad to read about yet another waste of life on the roads.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

BBC report on this (video). A comment of concern is that cyclist's were being fined for using bus lanes near to the incident.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Oh, and Leon Daniels comment "lets not have a kneejerk reaction". 3 cyclists in 3 weeks! Lorries have been the biggest killer of cyclists for some time now.
This guy must have the slowest knee in the universe. How does he ever get from A to B?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Geriatrix wrote:This guy must have the slowest knee in the universe. How does he ever get from A to B?

He drives there.
:evil:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another needless tragedy - another family torn apart... :(

It does seem to be lorry - lorry - lorry. Car-cyclist impacts are more often than not survivable. Not lorry-cyclist. Short of banning all lorries from the metropolis, full stop, I don't know the answer.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PRL

Post by PRL »

Mark1978 wrote:And the answer isn't any crazy all glass lorry cabs as that will never happen. The answer is not bringing cyclists into conflict with lorries in the first place.

All glass lorry cabs would be quicker to introduce than total segregation. (Everywhere ?)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

A few weeks ago police were out ticketing cyclists on the Vernon Place "bus only" bus lane removing about the only alternative to High Holborn and forcing cyclists to use High Holborn where the accident happened. I wonder whether this had anything to do with it? But I guess there aren't enough motorists speeding, jumping red lights and talking on their phones to keep the police busy so they have to find something else to do with their time.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

My sympathies to the family.

I've started another thread about bus lanes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I just realised, looking at the pictures: the site of this latest tragedy is only a few yards from the restaurant My Old Dutch - where I and a number of fellow-cyclists often used to congregate for pancakes after a Critical Mass ride (in the early days when I still used to do CM). So I know that area really well. Brings it all home to one! Sympathies to the victim's family and friends.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
jochta

Post by jochta »

This is the bus lane which is causing consternation...

http://goo.gl/maps/2Xds8

It's on a contraflow and is clearly signed No Cycling. Community officers were fining cyclists last week for using it and telling them to turn left and use High Holborn where there is no segregation and that's where the cyclist was killed this week. It seems it would make sense to allow cyclists to use the 200m long bus lane where buses can't realistically overtake cyclists as there is at least one more set of traffic lights.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Yep, I can't see bicycles causing too many issues there. In fact that's just the sort of thing cycling needs to make it work, little cut throughs etc not available to the rest of the traffic.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

LCC has just posted that female cyclist is in shock after being knocked over by ANOTHER CONSTRUCTION VEHICLE! Her front wheel was trapped under the vehicle.
Thank goodness she's OK.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The discussions about campaigning, banning lorries, and construction vehicles has been moved to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77834

Please reserve this thread for discussions about the incidents posted here and sympathies for those involved.

Thanks.
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

The driver behind this crash has been charged.

Given that it's almost a year since the killing i'm guessing he's been charged because the CPS beleive there is enough evidence to secure a conviction which is a good thing but I wonder already how laughably lenient his sentence will be.

They should throw the book at him just on the fact he was driving without insurance and some action should be taken against the company that was employing him because that's disgusting for an HGV to be driven under those circumstances. Would be interested to know what the 'licence offence' is, does that mean he didn't have a licence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27993540