Kenilworth Greenway ripped up in the Spectator

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: Kenilworth Greenway ripped up in the Spectator

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:I'd agree with that.........

.........IT workers are the devil incarnate :mrgreen:

Just remember that IT workers have no more knowledge or skill than you -simply bigger words for describing the problem
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Cunobelin wrote:Just remember that IT workers have no more knowledge or skill than you -simply bigger words for describing the problem

Oi!
That's not true! We can't remember the big words so we use acronyms. The original being FRED.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
honesty

Post by honesty »

Geriatrix wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Just remember that IT workers have no more knowledge or skill than you -simply bigger words for describing the problem

Oi!
That's not true! We can't remember the big words so we use acronyms. The original being FRED.

Plus we know one very useful skill, how to use search engines to find the answer for problems!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

honesty wrote:Plus we know one very useful skill, how to use search engines to find the answer for problems!

Usually finding only one person with the same problem who then replies to themselves saying: "It's ok, figured it out" which makes you want to scream - "What was it!?"...
karlt

Post by karlt »

Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

One acronym IT geeks have never heard of.

GIFT.

Got It First Time.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Mr. Viking wrote:Tarmac does make it more useable for wheelchair users. I have never seen a wheelchair user on a similar path I have to admit, but I rarely see anyone in a wheelchair anyway, it doesn't mean they aren't there. As for horses not being able to canter, a horse cantering will be more of a disruption than a cyclist at any speed. It would also, in my experience, be under less control.

Horses shouldn't be cantering on tarmac, their shoes don't give enough grip on it. I've had the task of assisting ambulance staff to lift a rider into an ambulance due to a horse slipping on tarmac ( a pure accident). It went over, landing on her. A cracked pelvis for the rider was the result, and it could have been even worse.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

My problems on our local offroad routes are mostly dogs. The are running loose and I have no idea where they will go as I pass. Or they are on long leads and shoot across in front of me, leaving a lead right across the path. I've always managed so far, but one day........
I always unclip in case, and slow down, and make a point of thanking dog owners who call their dogs to them as I pass, but dogs shouldn't be roaming off a short lead on a cycle track unless they will come when called and stay at heel. The daftest people are those who wait until you're darn near between them and the dog and then call it across in front of you....
Horses shouldn't be cantering on shared paths, tarmac or not. It they are not tarmac, it will damage the surface. I'm saying this as a rider.

I was asked when passing some friendly people (who I had warned by saying Good Morning from a little way behind) wouldn't a bell be easier? But I explained as I passed (slowly) that some people find it aggressive, so I prefer the voice. (and a horse might jump at a bell, not being used to it)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Flinders wrote:My problems on our local offroad routes are mostly dogs. The are running loose and I have no idea where they will go as I pass. Or they are on long leads and shoot across in front of me, leaving a lead right across the path. I've always managed so far, but one day........
I always unclip in case, and slow down, and make a point of thanking dog owners who call their dogs to them as I pass, but dogs shouldn't be roaming off a short lead on a cycle track unless they will come when called and stay at heel. The daftest people are those who wait until you're darn near between them and the dog and then call it across in front of you....
Horses shouldn't be cantering on shared paths, tarmac or not. It they are not tarmac, it will damage the surface. I'm saying this as a rider.

I was asked when passing some friendly people (who I had warned by saying Good Morning from a little way behind) wouldn't a bell be easier? But I explained as I passed (slowly) that some people find it aggressive, so I prefer the voice. (and a horse might jump at a bell, not being used to it)

Much like weekend before last, two people walking side by side with a dog. "Good Morning" ......... "GOOD MORNING!!!", by this time I'm almost stopped they move to opposite sides of the path, I start to move off and the dog darts from one side to the other, cue emergency braking. I go to move off again, the dog darts back in front of me, cue emergency braking, again. The owners thought this was very amusing.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

(I love the cartoons, BTW...............I frequently spend half hours at a time 'helping' family with their computers, even though I'm no IT person, and they are on operating systems I've never had using programmes I hate - the flowchart system describes what I have to do to a T. It must work, as things usually gets sorted out, and they continue to ring me up when they get stuck.)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

honesty wrote:Image

Exactly, and that's how I know how to do 99.9% of things in my life... You try something, see if it works.
Yet, you still get people saying "I don't know how to do XYZ simple thing", well if you'd spent any time actually looking at it, you would figure it out without anyone's help.