Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by Psamathe »

Having only started cycling again recently (again being last time was a University and I'm 57 now !!), I'm still building up the milage. And when my legs are tired after "yesterday" I say I'll go out but only for a short ride today ... and once out legs are not as bad as I thought, and being outside (not in rain) is so great that I just ride and end-up going a lot further than originally intended (and next day legs feel bad).

I can't see myself managing 10 miles per day. So far this year I am at marginally over 10 miles per day. But I guess a lot depends on what happens over the summer. Nice to have a "target" to motivate you on those days when weather/muscles/etc. are not so encouraging.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My point right at the beginning of this thread was that I needed a target.

10 miles a day is a tough target to be honest, and although I exceeded the 10 miles, it wasn't easy finding the time. It was late May before I got on top of the target - that's five months of being in deficit.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Seeing things like this gives me the kick to go out and do it again tomorrow,
P1040946 (640x480).jpg
, stopped and had the last of my flask watching this.
Nu-Fogey
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe we should start a target 2014 thread? Not sure what my target will be, but hopefully I'll get out on my bike a lot more this year, as my daughter is now going to playgroup for 4 hours twice a week.
My name, 'postboxer' is because after London 2012 I thought the gold postboxes gold medallists were rewarded with would be a good spread of targets to ride or walk to, but haven't really got around to it so hopefully I can tick off some more this year, as I think I've only done 3 so far, 2 of which I walked to, the third was a contingency plan as I didn't quite make it to Wiggo's.
Being in Eccles I have a good choice to aim for - http://www.goldpostboxes.com/ and as I do more and more, they'll get further away. I have a few self imposed rules, I must start from home, travel under my own power, so walking or cycling, and can only tick off one per journey, otherwise I'd cycle a big loop, tick off all the close ones and have none left to aim for, I don't have to get home under my own power, this is mainly so I can cycle further in one direction, towards my family or in-laws to get some of the further away ones.
Don't suppose I'll get anywhere near 10 miles a day though!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Mick F wrote:My point right at the beginning of this thread was that I needed a target.

10 miles a day is a tough target to be honest, and although I exceeded the 10 miles, it wasn't easy finding the time. It was late May before I got on top of the target - that's five months of being in deficit.

Just forget the 'deficit' and enjoy your rides.
nez

Post by nez »

My sympathy Tigger. Ive just comppeted 20 miles for the first time in 6 months. I used to do 20 miles as a spin but after a layoff with a frozen shoulder had t o start from scratch. 10 miles a day will be my aim for the rrst of this year, though I may be doing most in june july august. At the moment im knackered - I swear a pigeon walked past me uphill
nez

Post by nez »

Psamathe wrote:Having only started cycling again recently (again being last time was a University and I'm 57 now !!), I'm still building up the milage. And when my legs are tired after "yesterday" I say I'll go out but only for a short ride today ... and once out legs are not as bad as I thought, and being outside (not in rain) is so great that I just ride and end-up going a lot further than originally intended (and next day legs feel bad).

I can't see myself managing 10 miles per day. So far this year I am at marginally over 10 miles per day. But I guess a lot depends on what happens over the summer. Nice to have a "target" to motivate you on those days when weather/muscles/etc. are not so encouraging.

Ian

I can stand rain. Its wind I cant take.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I’ve decided this year to include the 35 kCals per mile turbo riding during the bad weather.

So far, averaging 19.47 miles per day.
Bowak

Post by Bowak »

I'm giving this a go this year too. I should get just under 2,000 miles in from commuting so making up the rest is a good target as it'll be a bit of a stretch to actually achieve, but without being stupidly ambitious.

I'm not particularly worried about being in deficit and I plan to get some of the extra miles needed in by trying out some different routes home from work to fully explore the areas around Durham I've not made it to yet.
Terry_Duck

Post by Terry_Duck »

There are some good ideas in here, I think I can see retirement being a happy place.
At the moment distance isn't a problem, but the need to get up and put in a few miles as often as possible will no longer be fuelled by the evil commute. A mileage target might work for me, but I would still need somewhere to actually go to and then return from later in the day. There are only so many gold post boxes.
I did once try my hand at Geocaching, but I never found any of the thingies. This put me off further experiments in that direction.
Perhaps I could create an on-line catalogue of tea shops which I have been to and rated for tea quality and cycle-friendliness? I could really enjoy that. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had many a thread on here about getting up and out cycling.

One I started was the Alphabetical Photographs thread.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20446

We had to get our bike photographed next to a sign for a village/town/city etc in alphabetical order. First one to post the next letter got it, so if you were late, you lost the game, so had to go out again for the next letter.

I really can't take the credit for the idea though, it was mentioned to me in the pub one evening by a motorcyclist and his club had done it.

Q was difficult, but I got one.
Quethiock.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

People in Somerset are uniquely well placed for this. From Essex it might be quicker to go to Belgium.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick F,did you have a 'quiet hock ' in the village local in celebration ?
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They haven't got a pub in Quethiock. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

That should be me blushing for being too quick on the 'count - downish' anagram, have to check street view next time !
Nu-Fogey