Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Finally got above 6 Miles a day, on 7.25 at the mo.
Training rides 37 - 42 miles which include 8 miles off road on railway tracks and farm lanes averaging 13.3 - 14 mph , today was pulling wheelies in 1st gear and had to dismount off road on a 650' / mile farm track a 5th of a mile long. Evil training tool weighs in at 22 kgs :(
Two years a go I did three rides taking 3.5 days totalling 775 miles, and am intending to pack some long days in this year.
Hope to get up to 20 miles / day, this is what I used to do in my youth when I cycled almost every day for seven years 20 miles a day at 20 MPH, mostly short commutes, but could still manage 20 MPH over 25 miles in the dark, I was still on five speed block and started on a single chain wheel.
The 20 MPH is now a distant memory, but 18 MPH over 43 miles is still obtainable on the tourer but you have to pick main roads, my road Koga Miyata I hope will be on the road soon and it will be interesting to a ride a road bike after 20 years off it :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

When today is done, I will be on 20.766 miles per day for 2014.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

3.38 miles a day this year :(
I met my girlfriend last year and between spending time with her, the legs falling off, doc appointments, and spending time with my two girls, I never seem to get a chance to get the bike out.
I've convinced my better half to get a bike though :D and hopefully the mileage will start increasing soon. Trying to get a loan to replace the kids bikes too so if that works out even better :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Day 77 today.

Although I'm up on this time last year .............. 434m / 5.6mpd for 2013 vs 496m / 6.4mpd .............. it's not much. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

I've just read the first five pages of this thread before I realised it started in 2013! But here is my motivation.

Over the last few years I have only cycled a few hundred miles a year - mainly to the shops and maybe once a year a trip to see the London to Brighton bike ride. Then back in August I was standing on Wimbledon Hill with some friends watching the Prudential Ride 100. That is the last hill and about 92 miles into the ride. I just happened to see Boris Johnson struggling up the hill and said that if he could do it so could I. My friends decided to hold me to that statement and I entered the ballot for the 2014 ride.

In October I started going out every Wednesday with my local CTC group to start the training. I have since heard I have not been successful in the Pru ballot but in January I signed up for a LEJOG in May and now that is what I am aiming for. I'm now doing CTC Sunday rides as well. The length of the rides are increasing and now I've just got to get used to riding day after day.

Mileage this year is now 1200 so about 15 mile a day average.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Blimey, I am ahead of Mick! He has been ill though, and so have I. 5 days a week, mostly 11 miles a day, sometimes 15. All in aid of my cycling diet - on about 1250 calories per day its hard for me to do more than 15 , I end up nackered if I do and can't ride the next day. On non cycling days I walk, sometimes a hilly 2 hours, sometimes just a brisk 40 minutes. Half the weight of my panniers has gone since Jan 6th , 16 lbs. 14lbs to go..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Blimey, I am ahead of Mick!
Ok, you keep up with me throughout the year then eh? :lol:
I'm off Up North on May 10th, and will have done the equivalent of an End2End by the time I get back a fortnight later.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Ayesha wrote:When today is done, I will be on 20.766 miles per day for 2014.

Yeh yeh yeh..................."Ayesha"'s a vertual being, one of many dreamt up by some spotty nerd in outer mongolia............am I bovered................ :? ......must do more miles.........mutter....mutter..........pump up them tyres.............no add some slicks.............take the rack and mudgaurds off.. :) .....maybe the saddle too........... :) ...............ouch.. :o
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Blimey, I am ahead of Mick!
Ok, you keep up with me throughout the year then eh? :lol:
I'm off Up North on May 10th, and will have done the equivalent of an End2End by the time I get back a fortnight later.

Hmmm. I am planning to put in some milage in early May for week, but, it won't be 800 miles, more likely about 350. :(

But, hare and tortoise :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

I am broadly on target broke 750 miles on the 16th exactly on target

Have been away for two days so need to catch those up but won't take !long.
In my defence I spent ages in a not so local bike shop getting measured and speccing the new bike
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

When today is done, average daily milage will become 20.846.

The maths minded will sus out my daily commute mileage from this and yesterday’s figure.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Ayesha wrote:When today is done, I will be on 20.766 miles per day for 2014.

Yeh yeh yeh..................."Ayesha"'s a vertual being, one of many dreamt up by some spotty nerd in outer mongolia............am I bovered................ :? ......must do more miles.........mutter....mutter..........pump up them tyres.............no add some slicks.............take the rack and mudgaurds off.. :) .....maybe the saddle too........... :) ...............ouch.. :o

Nope.

I'm a virtual being.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Today is day No. 77

( 77 x 20.846 ) – ( 76 x 20.766 ) = 27

Which isn’t a lot really.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My maintainence milage is two road training trips a week of 37 to 43 miles, last night a Turbo ride of 19 M (2% 60 Mins) normally 20 + but a planned ride today so took it easy :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

45miles done today.
Home in time for lunch.
Mick F. Cornwall