Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RickH

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by RickH »

At the start of the year I was hoping to pass 3000 miles, having just failed to do so last year. Today I passed 3650 miles for the year, a figure that has been helped massively by over 2300 miles on the tandem with my visually impaired stoker* (& now good friend too). :D

We should pass 3000 on the tandem and I should easily pass 4000 rather than the 3000 I was hoping for.

Rick.

*A quick plug for this - if you ever find out about someone within travelling distance who can no longer cycle solo through sight problems and you have the time to spare, in my experience it is a mutually beneficial experience to do tandem piloting for them. :)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Well done for reaching your target and well done for assisting someone else who wouldn't normally get out.

For all those doing the challenge, I think that Tuesday is day 265 - so 100 days left. For me, I am ahead of schedule - I have under 900 miles to go. However, due to various commitments as well as a mechanical issue with the bike, I haven't been out as much as I'd like to lately. I'd go out now as it looks a nice evening for cycling but we had friends around for lunch and I may have had a bottle or two of dancing juice too many to go cycling.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I did well in the first 3 months of this year, then had 3 terrible months due to various things. I'm currently back at 9 miles a day, helped by doing half an hour on the turbo every week day morning since the start of August.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I too had a bad start with illness but I have managed to hover at 11 m/d :) That keeps me fit enough, all rides are minimum 35 - 48 max miles with no stops.............................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Hello All,

I am an intermittent cyclist. I have owned a bike throughout my adult life, and have used it from time to time for commuting, fitness and pleasure. Next year (2016) I will start part time working in April as a prelude to full time retirement at an unspecified future date. One aspiration I have is too cycle more. To help achieve this I intend accepting the Ten mile a day challenge. In my younger years I was a club runner competing in cross country, road relays etc, so I have a reasonable fitness and stamina background, however I lack cycling specific strength. In recent years my fitness has declined as running is unforgiving to the body as you age. I know the winter months will be difficult with bad weather and lack of daylight. There are then family and work commitments. So will I have sufficient time remaining to achieve an average of ten miles a day? I hope by going public with this challenge will provide me with the incentive to achieve my goal. I hope others will join me in this challenge and we can then encourage one another

Happy New Year to All

David
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I started off well this year but thanks to one thing after another I'm down to 8.6mpd which is not doing my health any favours whatsoever.
2016's new years resolution is to maintain at the least that 10mpd and hopefully exceed it. The other halfs coffee shop trips will take second place from now on. Either that or she'll be dragged out on her bike for that crap they call coffee at Costa.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I was going to manage 11 / day but a twinge in back put paid to that after a vigorous ride on the bike :( so its 10.5 whatever.
I am happy with that.
But its more about what goal you set yourself not how many miles you put in.

10 miles a day will keep most if not all people fit enough for good health.
Some goal left not done 2015 so 2016 will have to try harder.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

david7591 wrote:Hello All,

I am an intermittent cyclist. I have owned a bike throughout my adult life, and have used it from time to time for commuting, fitness and pleasure. Next year (2016) I will start part time working in April as a prelude to full time retirement at an unspecified future date. One aspiration I have is too cycle more. To help achieve this I intend accepting the Ten mile a day challenge.

David

Good luck and welcome to the forum, I'm not retired but my occasional relatively long-distance commuting keeps my distances up. Stick with it -it's satisfying to see each 1,000 knocked off.

Cheers
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

SSSSSSsssssssssso.....31st December 2015......4402 miles, approx 12 miles/day.....Chuffed to bits to be honest !!!

I have been a keen motorcyclist since I was a baby ( I'm now 58 )...Took early retirement three years ago and bought a push bike....My wife/kids/mates/parents/next door's cat laughed themselves senseless, they just KNEW that I would have one ride around the block and then 'retire' the bike to the back of the shed....

They don't laugh anymore....... :wink:

Happy New Year all..... :mrgreen:
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Tiberius wrote:SSSSSSsssssssssso.....31st December 2015......4402 miles, approx 12 miles/day.....Chuffed to bits to be honest !!!

I have been a keen motorcyclist since I was a baby ( I'm now 58 )...Took early retirement three years ago and bought a push bike....My wife/kids/mates/parents/next door's cat laughed themselves senseless, they just KNEW that I would have one ride around the block and then 'retire' the bike to the back of the shed....

They don't laugh anymore....... :wink:

Happy New Year all..... :mrgreen:

This made me smile :)
Well done!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Totaled 3818 recorded road miles this year, so 10.4 miles a day :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

I just failed to reach 3000 miles in 2014 so thought 10 miles a day would be a good target to keep things on track for 2015.

Lots of tandem piloting helped get the miles in & meant I thought I might make 5000 miles. But a drop off in mileage towards the end of the year meant I finished on 4825. It was still my best since 1996.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Over 6000 miles for me in 2015, average about 125 a week, so almost 20 miles a day.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Only managed 9.6 for 2015. also, I was hoping to hit 10,000 miles since starting cycling but missed that (by a few days) as well (even though it was a totally arbitrary target and was not even 2 years).

Consoling myself that my average since taking up cycling a few years ago is at 12.3 miles per day.

It was the miserable very windy (and wet) autumn that destroyed my average and targets. Still, new year, "do better next time".

Ian
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

I was behind the curve for most of the year, then I started cycle commuting to/from my new job. The miles soon clocked up.

Finished the year with an average over 16 miles per day! :D