Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
HowardW

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by HowardW »

I caught up with a nice 52 mile day, going for 20 tomorrow :D
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

64 yesterday and 26 today. Up to 21.09.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

49 miles today. The last 15 were spoilt by rush hour greedy lunatics and a bugger of a headwind. Set off at 10am and got home 4.30pm. Looooooooooong day.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
pingpong

Post by pingpong »

Chemotherapy patient on my third cycle of treatment I have done 400 plus miles in 6 weeks albeit majority on a turbo trainer but still enjoying it .I feel it is doing me good regarding my treatment so that's my motivation, only wish I could get out more,
Just enjoy it
nez

Post by nez »

Well done ping pong. You're an inspiration
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent!
Good luck with your treatment, and keep up the mileage. :D

Get well soon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I find motivating myself very difficult, the thought of biking the same few roads in/out of my area just fills me with boredom before I've even got my shoes on. I'm not the sort of person who sets goals and sticks to them, I'm the sort who does things for no reason other than wanting to and spur of the moment, which doesn't sit well with longer distance cycling because you need to be out regular to keep the fitness up.

What's worse is that I'm very stubborn, so if I don't feel like it then I definitely won't try and motivate myself into doing it, rather the opposite, I'll talk myself out of it.

Am trying to find some motivation for getting back on the bike this year, but I've been saying that since the beginning of the year and still haven't been anywhere...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Trigger wrote:Am trying to find some motivation for getting back on the bike this year, but I've been saying that since the beginning of the year and still haven't been anywhere...
That was why I started 10mpd last year.

I needed a reason to get out, and giving myself a task sorta diddit.

I also am trying to ride all the roads in Cornwall. It'll take me years to do, but each time I go out, I try to find another one to ride. Trouble is, I've done 'em all locally, and I need a long ride 70miles or more to get the next one.

Last year, I put the bike in the back of the car a few times, and once took the train ..... each trip was to get further down west.

Perhaps if you're bored with riding the same roads, you could let the train take the strain and find pastures new for a few hours, then get the train back home in time for tea. Believe me, this idea works. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Trigger, my spur to action recently was to see regular cycling as a component part of a diet to loose weight. I became tired of always being a couple of stones over a healthy weight, always wheezing when I tied my laces, a fat belly (where all excess weight seems to immediately go on me), even though I just do small daily distances it has got me out on the bike practically every day that the weather permits. Mick is absolutely correct, to motivate yourself and get something done you have to have a MISSION. Perhaps if you can identify A MISSION that will incentivise you to get on the bike, it will get you going. A few years ago I had a mission to visit all the Roman ruins within daily riding distance, that got me going.

Ak
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

When I started cycling more seriously a few years back my goal (which at the time seemed impossible, but which I now know is nothing special) was to do a 100 mile ride within a reasonable amount of time and comfort so that I wasn't crippled for a week afterwards, you know, I didn't want it to be a one of those massive effort rides that most fit people could pull off for a charity ride or something with some days of recovery.

I managed that much quicker than I anticipated so after that I struggled to keep going, I really really don't get on with bikes+trains, I've done it a few times now and they were all horrible.

I will try to do some bike camping this year, but before that I need to rebuild some bike fitness, and even though I know this I just can't get into it. All the roads around here are crap and to get anywhere decent is already a good ride which I'm probably not capable of at the minute, I just keep looking outside and saying "Tomorrow or another day, not today".

One thing that keeps putting me off is that I know how far away I am from where I used to be and how much effort it will take to get back there, I've loads of miles to do and I just don't think I can stick with it.
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

On a personal note, I also struggle to motivate myself to ride when I don't need to.
That's why commuting every day works for me.
It is a bit boring cycling the same road every day, but at least it gets me out.
I am trying to get out at weekends and during holidays, but there is always something else to do which gets in the way.
In the past, having a target such as a charity ride also helps me get out and training.
So, my suggestion is to commit to an event or include cycling as part of your daily activities.
Good luck
Mark
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Trigger wrote:I will try to do some bike camping this year, but before that I need to rebuild some bike fitness, and even though I know this I just can't get into it. All the roads around here are crap and to get anywhere decent is already a good ride which I'm probably not capable of at the minute, I just keep looking outside and saying "Tomorrow or another day, not today".

One thing that keeps putting me off is that I know how far away I am from where I used to be and how much effort it will take to get back there, I've loads of miles to do and I just don't think I can stick with it.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Why did you start cycling in the first place? Is there some motivation there? Do you need a new target?

Otherwise, different people find different things motivate them. If commuting doesn't work, how about a regular errand? Weekly shopping? Think of a way to include a bike ride in something else, then do it that way each time. Or join a club and go for a regular ride with the club. Or make a weekly appointment with a friend to go for a ride.

Personally, I love the feeling of freedom and independence the bicycle gives me. I also don't like the way I feel when I don't get some exercise for a few days. That alone drives me to do something, even if it's just go for a walk. Invariably, what get me going though, is knowing that a bike ride always improves my outlook, and sometimes by quite a lot.

I was off the bike for about two months because of a broken rib. When I started again, I felt impossibly unfit. And to make it worse, other personal issues made it harder to get out on the bike. I'm now commuting once a week by bike, and hope to increase that to two times per week in a couple of weeks. I am nowhere near my previous level of fitness, but I'm hoping to recover it before the best cycling weather gets here.

I arrange things to make it as easy as possible to commute (leave my laptop & a change of clothes at work), decide on a day to do it, then keep that commitment. I know that if I cop out one day, it will be that much harder the next time.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Vorpal wrote:
Trigger wrote:I will try to do some bike camping this year, but before that I need to rebuild some bike fitness, and even though I know this I just can't get into it. All the roads around here are crap and to get anywhere decent is already a good ride which I'm probably not capable of at the minute, I just keep looking outside and saying "Tomorrow or another day, not today".

I'm sorry to hear that.

Why did you start cycling in the first place? Is there some motivation there? Do you need a new target?

Otherwise, different people find different things motivate them. If commuting doesn't work, how about a regular errand? Weekly shooping? Think of a way to include a bike ride in something else, then do it that way each time. Or join a club and go for a regular ride with the club. Or make a weekly appointment with a friend to go for a ride.

Personally, I love the feeling of freedom and independence the bicycle gives me. I also don't like the way I feel when I don't get some exercise for a few days. That alone drives me to do something, even if it's just go for a walk. Invariably, what get me going though, is knowing that a bike ride always improves my outlook, and sometimes by quite a lot.

I was off the bike for about two months because of a broken rib. When I started again, I felt impossibly unfit. And to make it worse, other personal issues made it harder to get out on the bike. I'm now commuting once a week by bike, and hope to increase that to two times per week in a couple of weeks. I am nowhere near my previous level of fitness, but I'm hoping to recover it before the best cycling weather gets here.

I arrange things to make it as easy as possible to commute (leave my laptop & a change of clothes at work), decide on a day to do it, then keep that commitment. I know that if I cop out one day, it will be that much harder the next time.

I don't have a car so I do cycle quite often, but only short trips to visit relatives and do shopping, this probably only adds to my indifference to it as cycling has now become a chore rather than an activity to enjoy.

I was in a club, this one to be precise, but I found it all a bit too cliquey for my liking so I didn't renew after my 12 months, I'm very much a solitary person that enjoys cycling alone.

I was going to go out today but I saw it was going to rain around 1-3pm so didn't fancy it, another day I've talked myself out of it :lol:

I've always just assumed I would start again when I felt ready and not to force it, but I've been waiting the best part of 2 years now and that feeling hasn't arrived yet.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
117 miles last week, so I am up to 8.25 miles a day, need to do nearer 140 a week.
Reading this post eggs me on.
Edited -
Its sometimes difficult to motivate yourself when you are cycling alone.
If you cant do it then you need to join a group or find some goal.
I actually got back on the road after ten years off the bike by going camping and then decided to cycle all dartmoors rideable paths / tracks etc.
I still used the turbo trainer in my dark times :)
I have spent most of my outside activities on my own so its probably easier for me.
I like to go at my own pace so have no intention of joining up with a group, its also leaves me free to go out when I want.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Rode to IKEA on Friday. Club run on Sunday and work today.
That puts it up to 21.23