Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by Redvee »

17.8 miles average for the 15 days of 2015 so far but actually only ridden on 11 of them.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Slightly behind - at 137 miles but didn't start until day five of the year.

I have found that by trying to keep/reach this goal has meant that I'm using my bike when I normally wouldn't - for example this week I would have normally driven into work in the wind and rain, but used the bike instead. Also, normally I take the easy route into work and the long way home - I've started cycling in the long way too. Adds another five miles to my daily commute, so 15 miles. The downside is that I arrive at work a bit hot and sweaty.

Got a few rest days next week so hopefully I can sneak in a few longer rides.
Lucyhan

Post by Lucyhan »

What is the best way to log your miles, using an app like strava, writing it down in a book, creating a spreadsheet? Any other ideas as my new years resolution to log my miles has already been broken and by December 2015 I really want to see how many miles I have done.
Reading all your logs is really inspiring :D :D
The fat commuter

^^

I just have a cheap cycle computer from a famous French 'sports' shop - cost under £20, may even have been under £10.

I then log every trip into an Excel spreadsheet. Keeps date, route, distance, ascent (hardly used), ave speed, running total and also a time column for if I beat a personal best on a route.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I keep a little black book for keeping records of rides (where I went, what I did and so on), maintenance rituals and odo readings. I make a note of the odo's number at the start of the year and update it every once in a while. I also use my Garmin to upload to RideWithGPS and that gives me a tally of the years mileage automatically.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I use a spreadsheet. Which I enjoy as I can do all sorts of other stuff calculated in the sheet (like projected milage for the year, E number, average speed, comparisons with car milage, etc.).

I tend to record tracks for most of my rides but not all. But I do use my cycle computer for all rides. I guess for something like the online services you must pretty well always record (and upload) your tracks (can you manually enter a ride details ?).

Ian
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

I have a basic garmin gps unit which records all my rides and uploads them to the garmin website.
The website will then give a track on a map and mileage & time and allows me to track different goals.
I occassionally forget to switch it on or start recording and the website allows me to enter a manual activity (just mileage and time, no track).
This saves me keeping a spreadsheet. Other tracking websites and gps units are available!
Mark
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My mileage is recorded on two spreadsheets, one is for target purposes as I couldn't work it out myself and I got it from here. The other spreadsheet is of my own doing which records daily distances set up for the commute to and from work.

Each sheet is per month consisting of columns for

Date, Time, Distance, Ave Speed, Max Speed, Ave Cadence, Max Cadence, Garmin Route (hyperlink), Bike Ridden. These are totaled at the bottom of the sheet and added to a sheet for the year with each line for a week, also at the bottom of each month sheet is the total for each bike using a SUMIF formula and again this is repeated on the annual sheet. Each bikes' distance is added to a Service History sheet for components, tyres, brake blocks etc, this sheet also is used to note PF visits.
The fat commuter

I thought that today was going to be the day that I caught up and got to an average of ten miles. At the end of yesterday I was at 185 miles - had a nice 25 mile ride planned for today - nothing else planned for today.

Just looking out of the window and we now have three to four inches of snow and more falling. Whilst that may just be doable, the traffic on the main road is nose to tail and not moving. Also, the kids' school is shut so I'm having to look after them - even though they're old enough to look after themselves.

This ten mile challenge is great though. I didn't really have time yesterday for a ride and wouldn't have normally - but forced myself and thoroughly enjoyed it.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Thought Id give this a go this year (though from September onwards when my daughter starts school my evening rides are going to be severely curtailed).

As of today I have cycled 214 miles in 21 days - so 10.197 miles a day. So far on track.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Despite the awful weather (we've got snow again today!) i'm still ahead of the game. 275 miles in 21 days so far this year.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
honesty

Post by honesty »

So January is over and I managed to squeeze in 296.25 miles - so 9.56 a day. Having to do a large desk move for work meant that I couldn't get out on Saturday and top it up annoyingly.Hopefully February will be better with a few longer Saturday rides planned.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Done 470 miles and its day 33, so still ahead of the game.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

I'm just like Steve Abraham. :)
Doing smaller mileages during the bad weather, with the intention of building up the mileages when the better weather comes.

In all other respects I'm not like him at all. :(
But managed 11 miles per day during January.
The fat commuter

Just ahead of the game with 338 miles in January. I'm hoping that the weather's going to pick up so that I can get out a bit more. That said, there's snow planned here tomorrow again.