Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by honesty »

I've done approximately 3000 miles this year (won't know the exact figure until I go into work and look at the spreadsheet). So not 10 miles a day, but an improvement on last year (2500) and the year before (2000) so I'm happy. And I didn't do any cycle touring this year to contribute to the mileage whereas I did previously.

Started off the year really well, and then for a number of reasons my mileage fell off a cliff for 3 months. Getting a turbo in August helped, December did not.

Goal this year is to continue the last 3 years milage trend and actually get 10 miles a day. We will see!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've managed only just over 2800 miles this year, so not even 8 miles a day and about 450 miles fewer than last year. I don't commute but use the bike for some short journeys instead of the car, as well as cycling further afield.
Have to see what happens this year. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I clocked up just over 2,500 miles this year, thanks to more commuting (1,400 miles) and Audax, 600 miles. Next year's aim is more commuting and more cycling with Mrs M_W to get up to 3,000 miles
david7591

Post by david7591 »

End of January and 196.2 miles completed, a daily average of 6.3, so somewhat short of the ten miles a day! I blame the weather and elderly parent caring duties. However I suppose a neutral observer would point to my lack of resolve in the face of wet, cold and dark conditions.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

david7591 wrote:End of January and 196.2 miles completed, a daily average of 6.3, so somewhat short of the ten miles a day! I blame the weather and elderly parent caring duties. However I suppose a neutral observer would point to my lack of resolve in the face of wet, cold and dark conditions.

I am a 'neutral observer'.....Could I please point out your lack of resolve in the face of wet, cold and dark conditions... :mrgreen:
KFT

Post by KFT »

After only doing a total of 1355 in total last year, I've managed 314 in January, mainly as a result of extending my daily commute and trying to also get out at lunchtimes, so I've had a good start to the year. This is despite losing 4 days to a heavy cold and some weekend commitments that have stopped me getting out. We have been lucky here though with the weather, missing out on the worst of the wind and rain that some areas of the UK have had to endure.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My Christmas present, 3651.13 miles this year :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Im 53 and had stents fitted a few years ago..Remembering being told i might die there and then and writing my potentially goodbye text motivates me to go out and make some new memories and keep the blood pumping!...Just saying...
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

This'd work better if it was a minimum of 10 miles a day but not an average. So if you cycle 50 miles today, that only counts as hitting your 10 miles for today. The aim being to get you out more regularly and throughout the year. So mega efforts on particular days then nothing for a while count for less. Regularly getting out each day to cover a distance achievable for all. The max mileage under this being 3650 miles but only if you ride every day and at least 10 miles on those days.
drossall

Post by drossall »

One cough, one cold or one busy day and you're out?
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

drossall wrote:One cough, one cold or one busy day and you're out?

Nope you are just 10 miles down.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I should manage it this year. Doing 138 miles a week commuting :)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I know I did a lot of miles in 2016 although not much the last 3 months! Certainly in excess of 5k and maybe as much as 10k but I haven't kept a record of distance covered since the 80's! (for several months Spring/Summer I was doing 150/200 a week training - sometimes more).

An average is more sensible than actual day allowance - there are days when outside stuff will prevent riding and commuters will have a big advantage - i've gone from riding 6 days a week to no more than 4 after stopping commuting (distance covered has increased!) Total divided by days ridden is perhaps not telling the whole story but it would be quite interesting as a comparison to the year average day express it as Yav/Dav bit like BP - the closer to equal the more impressive.

Maybe I should actually keep a proper record in 2017, my 41st year of 'serious' riding?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have kept records since 2000.
It helps with comparing to see how you are doing, I also write a brief note, pain in leg, windy, fading.
This is only useful if you are training for something, just riding commuting or pleasure there is little point.

I agree that if you are seriously training then riding 3 - 4 days a week is ideal.
As for mileage Its only important if you are training and recording actual effort.

In my youth I would ride 200 - 300 miles a week all at 20 mph.
At 58 I cant find the time and it hurts to keep fit, just plod on looking for a rainbow :)

Good luck for 2017.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I note kilometres per day/month and number of days cycled in the year. 1974 : 365 days, 2008 : 41days. The average km per day ridden fluctuates a lot: 61 when I walked to work and only cycled at weekends, 14 when I had a short ride to work.

As one gets older, one may switch to km instead of miles to keep the figures looking good.

Does anyone here not record miles/km ridden? If not, why not?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies