Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
SleepyJoe

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by SleepyJoe »

Total mileage this year is only 3,329- I've failed this year but will try harder next year! :oops:
My downfall are the school holidays when I miss my 7 mile commute.
Well done to everyone who hit their targets & especially those who hit 10k miles
Happy new year
Mark
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I only started cycling in May this year after a very long break of approx 15 years. I am only averaging 5 miles a day but it's better than nothing, so that's 1145 miles so far this year, mainly done on 20 ish mile rides.
I will do better next year as the distance is becoming easier to do now.

Well done to all those of you who manage such high mileages as those posted above.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

So that's my year of cycling done! (actually it was done a few days ago)

After completing the Rapha Festive 500 Challenge my mileage total for the year is set at 4462 miles. That's over 1000 miles more than last year and well above my target for the year so I'm pretty stoked about that. All were "leisure" miles as I don't cycle commute to work. I don't think I'll exceed that number next year due to different goals, but I'll probably aim for 10 miles a day again anyway.

Rounded out the year averaging 12.2 miles per day!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:By the way, I've just started a new spreadsheet including feet per mile per day.
I'm aiming for 1,300 feet per day for 2014.

1,263ft so far.
I need even more hills. :D
Didn't manage it. :oops:

I finished my cycling year at 4,516.86miles and climbed a total of 427,465ft.
That's an average of 12.37miles per day, and 1,171ft per day.

Mind you, I had 140 bike rides, so I've averaged 32.26miles per ride and climbed 3,053ft per ride.
That sounds a lot better! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Looks like is going to be 22.15 miles/day for 2014.

A guy at AUK, Steve Abrahams I think his name is, is having an attempt to break Tommy Godwin's year record.

His target is 75,066 miles in 2015.
A1anP

Post by A1anP »

Mrs P and I both took up the challenge this year, and we both made it :D
My total for the year is 4114 miles; 206 736 feet, in 381.7 hours over 168 outings.

Lots of ways you can break that down...

11.3 miles/day
566 feet per day
50.2 feet per mile (I.e flat compared to Cornwall!)
24.5 miles per ride average
1230 feet per ride
10.8 mph average :oops:
7.3 hours per week of moderate exercise

Not bad given that I was a complete couch potato a few years ago. Going to work on my E-number next year and hopefully do a 100 mile ride...

Cheers,
Alan
Going upwards at 45 degrees...
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My 10 miles a day ended up as 17.26 miles per day, which equates as:

Ride Time 415:09:46 h:m:s
Distance 6303.65 miles
Average Speed 14.94 mph
PF Visit 450.2 miles ave.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

SleepyJoe wrote:Total mileage this year is only 3,329- I've failed this year but will try harder next year! :oops:
My downfall are the school holidays when I miss my 7 mile commute.
Well done to everyone who hit their targets & especially those who hit 10k miles
Happy new year
Mark
Even so that's more than me at 3293 - just 9 miles/day. Interestingly the doctors' checkups aren't interested in mileage, but hours, so anyone who's travelled say 5000 miles scores the same as someone who's travelled 2500 miles at half the speed. :?.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MikeF wrote:Interestingly the doctors' checkups aren't interested in mileage, but hours, so anyone who's travelled say 5000 miles scores the same as someone who's travelled 2500 miles at half the speed. :?.

I had one of these "you've reached a certain age so get periodic check-ups ..." check-up last autumn and they weren't even interested in hours. Only if I did more than e.g. 3 hrs activity a week (I can't remember the actual number of hours but it was not many and I was way way above it). They seemed only interested in ticking the box more or less than their number. So I scored the same despite being way more active (score used in calculating your risk of suffering cardiac problems relative to the population average - which it seemed was all the check-up was about; and I would not have bothered going had I known more about it before hand).

(And feeling a bit proud of myself even though I am way of what several people have achieved. 6000 miles; nothing to E41 and respectably more miles on bike than in the car).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MikeF wrote: Interestingly the doctors' checkups aren't interested in mileage, but hours, so anyone who's travelled say 5000 miles scores the same as someone who's travelled 2500 miles at half the speed. :?.
I've told this story before .....

Mrs Mick F used to be the lollipop lady in the village. She did the job for ten years. At the time, we lived at the top of Gunnislake Hill and she'd walk down the 1in12 (and 1in8 in places) hill the threequarters of a mile to the crossing for her duty, then walk all the way back up. She did the return journey twice a day.

Cornwall Council sent out fitness/activity surveys to all the employees and the blurb that accompanied it said that they needed to do 20mins continuous exercise a day.

Mrs Mick F did the walk each way in 15mins, so all her speedwalking was of no consequence. Had she done it slowly, she would have passed. She wasn't best pleased and refused to fill in the form. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Looking at doing the ten miles a day challenge but it seems that everything is against me. Didn't manage to cycle to work on Thursday/Friday last week for some reason - can't remember why. Saturday and Sunday I was on-call so couldn't get out. Monday I managed to have a ride and then commute to and from work. Tuesday I woke up and couldn't move my thumb - extremely sore too so no cycling then. Wednesday managed to do a commute but could only change gear up - had to use the back of my hand to change down gear which wasn't ideal. Had a decent ride before work yesterday but now don't feel that I can go out today as it is just a tad windy. That said, used the time today to give the drivetrain a clean.

Anyhow, 70 miles in nine days so a bit behind schedule. On nights next week so getting a ride in then is often difficult - that said, I still commute and it's just over ten miles - just need to catch up on the shortfall.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Your getting old.................like the rest of us, I'm only on 70 too.
In the last twenty days I have only slept for three hours continuously any night (except one), 18 days off the bike and BP is still up.
Funny thing is that when I ride the bike I feel no pain at all in the arm that's keeping me awake, meds aren't working any more so I grin and bare it.

Even Steve Abraham is only doing 160 a day and plans to ramp up to 280? a day in the summer, those will be long days on his 14 mph average :?:

Edited - Got that wrong he's on 183 miles a day :) Today.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 9 Jan 2015, 11:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm aiming to do more than my brother, but not telling him, he did 1766 miles last year according to mapmyride, so I'll try to hit 5 miles a day. He often commutes and often goes the scenic route, but when he's really busy on the farm he'll not cycle or just do the direct route. So he does lots of 20mileish rides, I'll try to do longer rides, hopefully I can get doing 35 mile or longer rides at least once a week and see how it goes. I've also set lots of distance targets of varying length on mapmyride to give me lots of goals to aim for.
Bowak

Post by Bowak »

I managed 2,424 (+10 miles or so on Boris bikes) which comes out at only 6.6 miles/day. I lost out badly at the end of the year due to having to travel a lot for my new job, but now that's died down a bit I'm left with a daily round trip commute of 14 miles as opposed to 10 miles so I expect to hit the target this year.

Whilst I didn't make it, just having the target definitely pushed me to do a few extra rides to help limit how far behind I was falling and I found some new routes so it was worth the effort of keeping count.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Well it's the 15th day of this year and I'm at 15 miles per day so far :)
227.13 miles as of tonight :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.