Not all bad..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Not all bad..

Post by pwa »

I was out yesterday on a fairly relaxed hour long ride around the lanes between Llantwit Major and Bridgend and met nobody who wasn't friendly. A car followed me at a respectful distance for over a minute on a hill with no good passing spots. A school minibus did the same a little later. A horse rider smiled and said hello. And a farmer called his very well behaved sheepdog to heel as I approached and we exchanged cheery hellos as I passed. It was nice to be on the bike.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

pwa wrote:A car followed me at a respectful distance for over a minute on a hill with no good passing spots. A school minibus did the same a little later...

I would pull over and let the vehicles past in that situation, but I suppose there are different schools of thought. Still, glad you had such a nice ride. :)

pwa wrote:...And a farmer called his very well behaved sheepdog to heel as I approached and we exchanged cheery hellos as I passed. It was nice to be on the bike.

Not a sheepdog, a snowy landscape (England, not Wales!), but that put me in mind of this, by the cycling artist Frank Patterson:

Patterson Byway Riding (snow) edit (Large).jpg
pwa

Post by pwa »

Kylecycler

Nice pic. And sometimes it really is like that. Don't worry about the vehicles behind me. I let them pass as soon as practicable. Today I came up behind two horse riders on a sharp left hand bend. At the same time a Rangerover approached from the other side. The Rangerover slowed, the horses went to single file and one of the riders asked me to wait a moment. Rangerover passed slow and wide, then I did the same. One of the horse riders said thanks as I passed. Text book stuff from everyone, and nothing but smiles.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Kylecycler

Nice pic. And sometimes it really is like that. Don't worry about the vehicles behind me. I let them pass as soon as practicable. Today I came up behind two horse riders on a sharp left hand bend. At the same time a Rangerover approached from the other side. The Rangerover slowed, the horses went to single file and one of the riders asked me to wait a moment. Rangerover passed slow and wide, then I did the same. One of the horse riders said thanks as I passed. Text book stuff from everyone, and nothing but smiles.

And that's how things could be if all road users were as thoughtful,it's only when the ego takes a front seat that the troubles begin.
Today,young chap in a mat black customised Focus with a big bore exhaust came up behind me as I was approaching the crest of a hill.
I waved him past as the road was clear.
He gave me plenty of room and flashed his hazards and waved once he'd passed me.
It's all very simple if we work together and help one another :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

A couple of years ago i was shaved past by a bus.
I wrote to the company with the reg number and i got an email back apologising for the driving and that they would "take action" against the driver. not knowing what the "action" would be , and only wanting to mention it to the company so they would have a word with the driver, i replied to the email saying just that.
The following months and still to this date all buses from that company have passed me with space and respect. I sent another email praising them for the respect and space i have been receiving.

I definitely think it's important to not just send complaints but also praise when it's merited.

I wonder what has the greater effect.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I think just about every driver today gave me enough room when they were passing, for around 30 miles on the road. :) For a few hundred yards I did hold up one van driver on a narrow road, but there was nowhere I could let him pass. In one case a car gave me a wide berth although in my view he took a risk as it was on a bend. I wasn't cycling at peak time though, and I think that makes a difference to people's motoring behaviour.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

MikeF wrote:I think just about every driver today gave me enough room when they were passing, for around 30 miles on the road. :) For a few hundred yards I did hold up one van driver on a narrow road, but there was nowhere I could let him pass. In one case a car gave me a wide berth although in my view he took a risk as it was on a bend. I wasn't cycling at peak time though, and I think that makes a difference to people's motoring behaviour.

+1 for the above experience for just about ever cycle ride I have within recent memory . I also do not cycle at peak times or do a daily 'commute'.

The commute has a tendency to turn some otherwise good drivers into rash ones (and cyclists too I'm sure).

It is my observation that during peak periods, road users 'dash around' to get to work and then at the end of the day 'dash around' to get back home again. How come everyone seems so short of time?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
niggle

Post by niggle »

Here, after various issues such as low sun, rain, going home a different way, forgetting to charge camera battery, etc., is a clip of me riding through the same pinch point and over the brow of the hill as in my experience with the Westfield HGV recently:

http://youtu.be/UeSAHTWXpuM
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Some nice overtakes by cars there. Correctly using the other side of the road to give you plenty of space.
niggle

Post by niggle »

bigjim wrote:Some nice overtakes by cars there. Correctly using the other side of the road to give you plenty of space.

The first one, silver Ford, is a tad close considering I am dead centre in the lane- it is about where the Westfield was when it started passing me, but then moved towards me. The other two cars in the clip are very good as you say.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Out of interest, what camera did you use for that clip, and how do you rate it?

Where on your bike do you have it mounted.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
niggle

Post by niggle »

bikes4two wrote:Out of interest, what camera did you use for that clip, and how do you rate it?
A
Where on your bike do you have it mounted.

A cheap Chinese SJ4000 type camera mounted on the bars. It was £37 off ebay and for that price it is pretty good so far.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Addison Lee cab :shock: . Hung back for a well timed overtake with plenty of room.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

It has become habitual for me to wave in thanks if a vehicle takes time to drive past me, indicate etc. I'm not sure if it's my imagination but I'm starting to feel the love! I haven't had a close pass in yonks...b [emoji112]