The War on Britain's Roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

The War on Britain's Roads

Post by Redvee »

TV program on Wednesday 5th December will be shown on BBC1. That Scottish cyclist has been interviewed for the program and one of my videos has been submitted also.

http://www.leopardfilms.com/news/leopar ... pm-bbc-one
[XAP]Bob

Re: The War on Britain's Roads

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Why couldn't the blurb have said 'motor vehicles' rather than declaring cycles not to be vehicles....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Admittedly, conditions aren't perfect, but to call it a war? Fuel for the fire springs to mind.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The blurb for the film suggests that conflict is a result of the sheer amount of traffic on the roads fighting for available space. I am not sure that that is correct. Conflict usually occurs IMV where two vehicles wrongly use restricted road space e.g. a car travels too fast along a narrow road where it may need to overtake on the other side. You don't need a lot of traffic for this to happen and in fact I find conditions safer in high traffic density. Higher numbers of bikes may at times slow down traffic but it is other cars that are more likely to do this. Has anyone else any views on this?

PS Note to the film makers: I think the word you were looking for is premieres.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Sensationalism is a type of editorial bias in mass media in which events and topics in news stories and pieces are over-hyped to increase viewership or readership numbers.
Some tactics include being deliberately obtuse, appealing to emotions, being controversial, intentionally omitting facts and information.

Wikipedia seems correct on this occasion.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

One of my mate's YouTube clips is being used in the trailer for this and both he and I were filmed for a cycling program that should have been aired in May this year, but got postponed as the producer wanted to interview some of the drivers involved in the disputes. Same film company as well, but I think it was for a different conclusion?

Anyway, I've got my TV recorder set for this just in case either of us are starring in it!
irc

Post by irc »

horizon wrote:T Higher numbers of bikes may at times slow down traffic but it is other cars that are more likely to do this. Has anyone else any views on this?.

I drive throughout Glasgow and central Scotland around 4 days a week. I can count on one hand the number of times I get slowed down by bikes. When I do it is for a few seconds. I get slowed by other motor vehicles - volume of traffic - every single day. The problem, if there is one, is not bicycles.

In fact my 18 miles each way commute times only increase from 30 - 45 mins between traveling in at 6am and traveling home at 6pm. During the day most journeys are not affected by traffic congestion at all. Obviously anyone whose commuting consists of driving to work in the city centre for a 9am start and driving home at 5pm will have a different experience. Those 9-5 journeys to city centres are of course exactly the type of commute where public transport or park and ride makes sense.
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...just found this...

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/bbc-he ... ber/013940

...incidently ...I recently took a day off work to cycle 50 miles around West Sussex rural roads for the day ...at a crossing on the busy A259 near Emsworth ...from a cycleway (pavement) to another cycleway (pavement) ...I was besieged by a group of blazered schoolboys with clip boards asking my opinion of the local cycleways and how this particular crossing could be improved ...I answered ...'remove the cars'

There would be no 'war' on Britain's roads between cars and cyclists if proper safe separated provision was made for cyclists/cycle routes

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
horizon

Post by horizon »

Velocio wrote:
There would be no 'war' on Britain's roads between cars and cyclists if proper safe separated provision was made for cyclists/cycle routes

That's true and married couples wouldn't argue so much if they got divorced.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

A BBC news item on 'Breakfast' this morning was The Police apealing to motorist NOT to drive after excessive alcohol consumption. Stats were mentioned of four hundred and something deaths last Christmas due to 'drink drivers'.
In all my born days, I have never witnessed a police apeal for cyclists to not ride after excessive alcohol consumption. Does it happen? Of course it does, but it does not carry th esame dramatic results as a car leaving the road and ploughing through a group of pedestrians.

The ONLY reason this TV programm exists is because some cyclists have movie cameras and post bad meetings with motorists on YouTube. Without this, a TV programm couldn't be made.
The programm producers should get themselves to a few Insurance company approved motor vehicle bodt repair shops and see how many bent cars come through their doors.
They should go to a few scrap yards and see how many 'Write offs' there are due to incompetent driving.
They should go to the crematorium and see how many ill-fated motorists go up the chimney.

The only 'war' on Brirain's road I am aware of is Subaru Imprezza WRC vs Ford Focus RS. :lol:
Its worse in the USA, I got more abuse off Ford Mustang owners while driving a Chevy Z28 Camaro than ALL the ubuse I have while riding my bicycle in a lifetime. :lol:

As I said earlier,,, Sensationalism.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Ayesha wrote:The ONLY reason this TV programm exists is because some cyclists have movie cameras and post bad meetings with motorists on YouTube. Without this, a TV programm couldn't be made.

There are motorists, car drivers, motorcyclists and lorry drivers that have cameras too on youtube. (my car driving friend wants a camera after being forced off the road by a fellow car driver who didn't stop)
You could sort of understand the mentality of picking on something smaller on the road, but people cut up lorries with cars too. It's just jaw dropping. I think there is just a general problem with attitude on the roads.
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This has now been trailed by the BBC for quite a while and the showing is still nearly a week away. I've seen the trailer several times and "I don't watch television." No doubt the compilation of footage in the trailer is all genuine material (rather than staged) and the tone of the programme itself may be different but I get the impression somebody is trying to build up a bit of controversy. :evil:

The casualty in this war may be cycling.
magnatom

Post by magnatom »

As that 'Scottish Cyclist' here are my thoughts on the programme and the approach.
http://www.magnatom.net/2012/11/war-on-britains-roads.html
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

since nobody knows, least of all Chris Peck, why not wait five days before deciding if it's any good or not? Just a suggestion.

In fairness I should point out that Her Nibs is the GM of the Argonon Group. I gave the researcher some names of people capable of making a case, so if they have fluffed it, it will be by design, not by default.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

SimonL6 - good to see you back on here! I miss your contributions.

As the only poster on this thread who has expressed doubts, I'll mention that I did say that the tone of the programme may be different from that of the trailer. (I presume you wouldn't defend the trailer on any grounds other than the freedom of the media?)

PS I did see CP's post on the locked thread.