The War on Britain's Roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BigFoz

Re: The War on Britain's Roads

Post by BigFoz »

And how many of those drivers whining about RLJs park their cars and walk across the road to get to the shop without waiting for the green man?

If you included pedestrians walking across roads without using crossings, I suspect the RLJ population of the UK would be very close to the total population of the UK.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BigFoz wrote:And how many of those drivers whining about RLJs park their cars and walk across the road to get to the shop without waiting for the green man?

If you included pedestrians walking across roads without using crossings, I suspect the RLJ population of the UK would be very close to the total population of the UK.

But they are not comitting an offence, they are ignoring advice.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
BigFoz wrote:And how many of those drivers whining about RLJs park their cars and walk across the road to get to the shop without waiting for the green man?

But they are not comitting an offence, they are ignoring advice.

'Like'
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Ok, I've had a response to my complaint about this programme.

You might recall that I complained about the programme distorting the relationship between road users, characterising it as a war, when in fact the relationship is overwhelmingly cooperative and collaborative (the full text is somewhere further up this thread). Specifically, I complained about the editing of a video of an altercation between a cyclist and a motorcyclist, where the second half of the clip (when the two parties came together in a conciliatory fashion) was edited out, distorting the true nature of the incident.

Anyhows, here's the response:

" Dear Mr xxx
Reference CAS-xxx
Thanks for contacting us regarding BBC One’s The War on Britain's Roads on 5 December.

"Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. We know our correspondents appreciate a quick response and are sorry you've had to wait on this occasion.

"We’re sorry to note you had concerns about the way a clip of cyclist having a near-miss with a motorcyclist was used in this programme.

"This clip was used in a sequence alongside other footage, introduced by the following commentary:

""With the arrival of the helmet camera, cyclists have found a way to highlight what they see as the bad behaviour of motorists."

"Our research suggests that drawing attention to the bad behaviour of motorists is a key reason for commuter cyclists to use helmet cameras, whether this behaviour is deliberate or the result of failing to look out for cyclists properly. The full version of the clip demonstrates that, by agreement between the two people involved, the incident was determined to be the fault of the motorcyclist, so the clip is an example of a road user making a mistake that could have led to a collision with a cyclist. The documentary does not suggest that road users never apologise for their behaviour, indeed there are other examples in our film where road users do express regret for their actions.

"Nevertheless, I'd like to assure you that we've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback we compile daily for programme makers and senior management within the BBC. The audience logs are important documents that can help shape future decisions and they ensure that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available to BBC staff across the Corporation.

"Thanks again for contacting us.

"Kind Regards"

I need to have a further think on this - not sure there's any point in persisting, although I guess the BBC has simply regurgitated the programme makers' response, rather than making a separate, reasoned judgement themselves.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Is this thread still battling on???? :D

The difference that programme made was equal to one minus one.

Sound the 'Last post' and forget it.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Ayesha wrote:Is this thread still battling on???? :D

The difference that programme made was equal to one minus one.

Sound the 'Last post' and forget it.

Why? If people want to post they can. Anyway I dont think we've heard the last of this at all.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Ayesha, I was specifically asked to update this thread when I got a response to my complaint. That's what i did.
If you're not interested, you don't have to read it. There's lots of threads I don't read.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

PaulCumbria wrote:

Ayesha, I was specifically asked to update this thread when I got a response to my complaint. That's what i did.
And thanks for doing so, although the
"Nevertheless, I'd like to assure you that we've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback we compile daily for programme makers and senior management within the BBC. The audience logs are important documents that can help shape future decisions and they ensure that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available to BBC staff across the Corporation."
bit was very familiar :roll:
"42"
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

:D
Should have included "( pun intended)" twice. Humour,, Ha Ha,,
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Ayesha wrote::D Humour,, Ha Ha,,

Fair enough - it's a shame the subtleties of conversation have to be sledgehammered home on forums, but there you go.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

So I've had time to ruminate on the response I received from the BBC, and to my mind it clearly fails to answer my complaint (that the narrative of an incident was misrepresented to further the makers' spurious claim that there's a 'war' going on out there).

Having trawled the Web to see what other complaints have been made, I came across Roger Geffen's excellent advice from immediately post-transmission:

"My advice is: it's not worth complaining about whatever made you angry... We need to remember that the BBC's complaints department is very accustomed to shrugging off criticism..."

So that was a total waste of my time, wasn't it? :roll:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

PaulCumbria wrote:So I've had time to ruminate on the response I received from the BBC, and to my mind it clearly fails to answer my complaint (that the narrative of an incident was misrepresented to further the makers' spurious claim that there's a 'war' going on out there).

Having trawled the Web to see what other complaints have been made, I came across Roger Geffen's excellent advice from immediately post-transmission:

"My advice is: it's not worth complaining about whatever made you angry... We need to remember that the BBC's complaints department is very accustomed to shrugging off criticism..."

So that was a total waste of my time, wasn't it? :roll:

I dont think so. There must have been others who did as you did. The BBC are not going to put their hands up (who would). But like the things you say to others as a criticism and appear to be rejected some of it sticks.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

I hope you're right, UKD, I hope you're right...