Lovely ride today!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Benethi

Re: Lovely ride today!

Post by Benethi »

This weekend I cycled down to Birmingham to see Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel live (with full orchestra and choir), which was absolutely fantastic...

The cycling...on Saturday started off great and then it started to get very wet. And then it got wetter.
Arrived very soggy, but really enjoyed most of the ride anyway, had a great route.

Sunday...the weather was great all through the day. Still got very soggy though, courtesy of some very flooded roads. About 2 feet deep at one point...at which point Sparky got its first puncture (incidentally, my mountain bike got its first puncture last week, which is of course always fairly expected on a mountain bike, but still, it must be a good couple of years since I last had one on any bike, so just waiting for the third on Bike 1 now I guess). Back to the ride, it felt like an adventure and was great fun. I got to the other side, leant Sparky on the Road Closed sign, took off my soggy shoes and socks and put in a spare tube.

Meanwhile, spoke to a few people in cars and on bikes who came down the road and were contemplating trying to get through.

Top marks to my 4 year old Altura panniers which, even after being dragged through a river, still refused to let a drop of water inside. Who needs Ortliebs? :twisted:

Then onto Burton upon Trent where I stopped for lunch and considered getting the train home, but not seeing the station on route through just carried on cycling, which, due to my interesting route selection, led to a fair bit of mountain biking in the dark, on a fully loaded touring bike. Got home around 8pm. Cup of Tea. Pizza.

Fantastic weekend. Total of ~173 miles. It's been a while since I've done any serious riding, so it was good to find out I still could...

Some photos from Burton:
Hmm, which way?
Hmm, which way?

Burton2.jpg

I found their idea of just how wide a cyclist was compared to a walker quite amusing...
I found their idea of just how wide a cyclist was compared to a walker quite amusing...
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Great photo's Benethi and what a weekend for a long ride!

Mine's pretty small beer by comparison -
Last weekend my partner Ruth and I were in the flat lands of Lincolnshire (arranged so that we could visit Dave Yates on the Sunday and order a new frame for Ruth) and rode to the coast (Chapel St Leonards) on Bromptons on Saturday 17 November.

Very chilly day but the autumn colours were fantastic, the trees being a wonderful golden brown. Had a cake and a cuppa and rode back. On the way Ruth spotted a barn owl about 20 feet away just sitting in the empty window of a brick barn next to the road. We stopped and watched as it flew silently across the field and landed on a fence post.

Further on we rode past a smallholding with what appeared to be an Emu in a fenced enclosure (no sign of Rod Hull though
:-) ) As we neared the end of the ride the sun was setting and the sky turned a tremendous golden yellow and red. A beautiful end to a 23 mile ride.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Well done Benethi.
Sunday was a good day if a little cold.
The swans on top of the sign seem apt. :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
sbesley

Post by sbesley »

I'll add to this...

Dinner invite tonight. Only a few miles away, so I decided to ride. Nice route along the 'low road', meadows flooded to one side, moon reflecting in the still water, no traffic, no noise just the slick of my tyres. Beautiful.

Even better on the way back after a couple of glasses of wine.
hondated

Post by hondated »

As someone who seems to spend a lot of time on this forum or CGOAB I must admit to like looking at any photos posted so today I thought I would take a few photos on my ride.

These few photos were taken on my circular ride from Willingdon to Eastbourne Pier.Whilst it was cold thankfully it was dry so it was an enjoyable ride.

However it was hardly traffic free as every time I stopped to take a photo cars appeared.

I would be interested in seeing photos of your rides if you have the time and inclination to post them as well.

EBR 1.jpg

EBR 2.jpg

EBR 3.jpg

EBR 4.jpg

EBR 5.jpg

5 more photos to come.
hondated

Post by hondated »

My ride today final 5 photos.

EBR 5.jpg

EBR 6.jpg

EBR 7.jpg

EBR 9.jpg

EBR 10.jpg

That is it then. Apologies that I never took them in the Summer as they would have looked far more beautiful.Still that is something I can do next year
Just heard the weather forecast for tomorrow so I am off to batten down the hatches.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

-2C when we got up. 0C going out and +2C arriving home. Blue sky but the sun gives problems with shade from the hedges not melting the frost.
Short ride of 34 miles and didn't even get a sweat on. A few dodgy places with frost and ice but O.K. with care.
Image0297 (Large).jpg

On the bridge.
On the bridge.

From the bridge.
From the bridge.

(click on the photo's to enlarge and then click again to expand some more)

Nice to get home for a warm shower and a cuppa. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Got comfortably warm on my to Preston this am at -1, but that descent into the Ribble Valley..... brrrrrrrr I swear that river sucks warmth from you!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ted! That looks like a Roberts, have you forgiven it?
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hondated

Post by hondated »

al_yrpal wrote:Ted! That looks like a Roberts, have you forgiven it?
Al

I have Al but only because it cost so much. I know I am guilty of telling you this before but you definitely got it right when you built your bike. And through my experience I would advise anyone considering getting a bike specifically made for them to think very carefully before they do it.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I was out for a nice ride yesterday afternoon, as I finished work at lunch.

Then did loads of little trips around town today that would have taken me ages in the car.
I'm loving this 'new' Viscount Sport. It handles very well, and I have so much faith in it.

Here's a a pic.
IMG_2775 by Sooper 8, on Flickr

BTW Benethi, do you live in Burton or just passing through ?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

First longish ride on my new Salsa Vaya today. I wanted to do some road and some off road too as these bikes are supposed to be 'crossover' type machines so I set off into the Chilterns shod with 40mm Schwalbe Land Cruisers and nice Tortek mudguards. After a mile or two I stopped for a few minutes to make some adjustments to clear the annoying squeaks from the disc brakes. Just proves you can't adjust things perfectly on a bike stand although I thought I had.
The riding position seemed brilliant. Measuring things, from the saddle nose to the headset is actually 4" shorter than on my Subway tourer although the distance to the bars is practically the same.
I soon reached Britains worse road surface and was pleased when the Vaya practically floated over it. It definately has the feel of steel! Up in the direction of the ridge its a slow gentle climb. The middle ring was fine and tacked some small steep gradients too.
Then, I reached the off road bit, a gravel bridleway, heavily rutted, covered in debris and deep puddles. No problem... Then onto a downhill section of slippery chalk and flint with many lumps bumps and drops. Again, no problem but fairly uncomfortable compared with a full susser MTB.

Salsa Vaya by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Stopped at the pub, but no wallet !

Salsa Vaya by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Carried on to eventually climb back up the ridge on a long stinker. Managed ok on the 24" bottom gear but I can see that the gearing will have to be lowered for fully loaded touring.
The back across Oxfordshires muddy potholes roads towards home. Encountered a couple of fit looking MTBers and rode with them for a short while finally engaging the top ring and gear of 130" and streaking off . Must have been amazing to be left for dust by Father Christmas !
All in all the Vaya is comfortable bike, very stable, quite quick and OK for a bit of off road on non challenging surfaces, but not a replacement for a MTB. It's a very worthy addition to my stable and I think it will make a good tourer. The Velo cheapo saddle is surprisingly comfortable and the wide cowhorn bars are just right although the drop parts are superfluous IMO.
A very enjoyable 25 miles in beautiful South Oxfordshire.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »