Misleading hill signage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
westofsouth

Misleading hill signage

Post by westofsouth »

I can't ride up a 1:3, but I rode up this one on Exmoor - on a lightly loaded LHT.
Anyone else been misled?
[it wasn't easy :roll: ]
Attachments
1in3.jpg
meic

Re: Misleading hill signage

Post by meic »

It only needs a certain length of road to qualify for the steepness warning.
Possibly the other 1:3s that you have ridden maintained it for a greater length.
Yma o Hyd
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Um, so... did you whizz back down to take a pic of the sign? Or take a pic of the sign before you started? But then again it looks like you might be taller than the sign, so what were you standing on?! Sorry, I need these things expaining :wink:

There's no way I'd stop to take the pic cos I'd be looking for all the momentum I could get :shock:
gaz

Post by gaz »

There's a 9% slope near me, frankly I can't see the point in signing it*, I'm certainly not going to dignify it by calling it a hill.

What we need of course is some kind of reliable system that's easy for cyclists to understand. I wonder who could do something like that? :wink:

* not least because it's only an access road to a private golf course, never mind the fact that you can see the bottom from the top.

Edit: Fixed link
Last edited by gaz on 1 Jun 2016, 8:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

Picture courtesy of Google Streetview. The long steep bit is around the bend at the top...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 95.07,,0,0
rjb

Post by rjb »

A lot of the old signs on exmoor have been "upgraded" to comply with current legislation. A lot of the old ones have disappeared - i quite liked the original sign at Challacombe which said "No Charabangs" now replaced with a blue sign about heavy good vehicles. Even the "cyclist advised to dismount and walk" signs coming down countisbury hill into lynmouth have gone and been replaced by blue advisory "cyclists dismount" signs :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

westofsouth wrote:Picture courtesy of Google Streetview

Aha, that explains things! Doesn't look like 1:3 - long but not as steep as the short (ungraded) hill I rode today, which nearly killed me! - tho hard to tell from Streetview.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There is a hill with an undefined slope I have to climb to get home, ie vertical. Over the years I've managed to get up it on my bike though most of the time I still walk up it.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Rode the Dartmoor Classic last month and told one of the locals that we had to cycle up Holne, she said bloody hell, you need first gear in the car for that one. As it happened we didn't have to go up that way due to a fallen tree blocking the road. I live in Cornwall which I thought is hilly but Dartmoor is something else.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

...just an afterthought - has anyone else seen a 1:3 road sign lately?
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Blue Hills, St Agnes, down here in Cornwall has parts marked 33% which I believe is 1in3
'Kernow bys Vyken'
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

westofsouth wrote:...just an afterthought - has anyone else seen a 1:3 road sign lately?

Here's a link to a post of a pic with Mick F standing in front of one. I don't know if he turned round and saw the sign - he-d just ridden up the hill it refers to. I certainly saw the sign (I took the pictute.) There's another shot of him by the sign at the bottom so he must have seen that one as well. I know he had also seen another earlier on that day's ride from Whitby.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64201&p=548320&hilit=rosedale#p548320
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks TC.
Yeah, good hill that Rosedale Chimney!

Here's a 33% hill - Egton Hill in N Yorks. I went down that, but at the bottom, the road bends and climbs up an equally steep hill the other side.
Egton Hill.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

westofsouth wrote:...just an afterthought - has anyone else seen a 1:3 road sign lately?

No but here's a 1 in 4 not too far from you. I think you may find this one more of a challenge.

http://goo.gl/maps/jWOr

:twisted: :twisted:

Who's next for the 1 in 5 :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

...know the area reasonably well. Not cycled up it, but walked up a footpath nearby on a Nether Stowey to Crowcombe (and back) hill walk - usually after a big meal at the Carew Arms :wink: