An end to CYCLISTS DISMOUNT?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
snibgo

An end to CYCLISTS DISMOUNT?

Post by snibgo »

Great news. I can hardly contain my excitement.

TSRGD 2002 defines sign 966 meaning "Pedal cyclists to dismount at the end of, or at a break in, a cycle lane, track or route", bearing the infamous legend "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT". It is advisory, and most of us cheerfully ignore it.

Here's the good news. Under the 2nd 2011 amendment of TSRGD, the meaning is changing to "Pedal cyclists to rejoin main carriageway at the end of, or at a break in, a cycle track or route". They are not asking us to dismount anymore! Hoorah! And the legend is changing to "CYCLISTS REJOIN CARRIAGEWAY". Wonderful. It is still advisory, as far as I can see.
crc.png
crc.png (5.29 KiB) Viewed 8391 times

The first person to post a photo of this new sign will win a prize of, um, a free ride on their very own bike.

There is one slight catch. There had to be, natch. In the legend, the words "REJOIN CARRIAGEWAY" may be varied to "DISMOUNT".

Ah, well. I enjoyed the excitement while it lasted.
iviehoff

Re: An end to CYCLISTS DISMOUNT?

Post by iviehoff »

A Cyclists Dismount sign was removed on my commute this week. The cycle lane has been closed for a number of weeks due to an assortment of road works in the area. It is a location where it is easy to rejoin the carriageway - in fact I routinely rejoin the carriageway at that point so as to avoid the pointless and much ignored button-controlled cyclists' red light I would otherwise encounter (and which I think they are in the process of removing) when the main carriageway has a green light. The blue "Cyclists dismount" sign was taken away and replaced with a red "Cycle lane closed" sign.
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

This is good news. Let's hope it gets used.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Previously they COULD sign "Cyclists Rejoin Carriageway " but had to get special permission - extra paperwork - so they put up "Cyclists Dismount" which was less work. Now that the sensible sign is equally easy to install let us hope that they use it. :D
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

There's a cyclicsts dismount sign on a track through a local park. It is where the track dips under a bridge by a shallow pond thing.
I think it is because most cyclists might otherwise bang their heads on the bridge- though a 'low brige' sign might be more helpful to the tall.
Being small, the bridge height is no problem for me. So it's the only sign I routinely ignore, though I would dismount (and by that I mean, not pedal, just roll with feet on ground) if there were any pedestrians or other cyclists on the path under the bridge, just in case.

On cycle paths by roads I find the dismount sign infuriating. Nobody expects me to get out of my car and push the thing at evey junction, so why the bike? And what do they mean, dismount? Actually get off and push it, or simply stop? If it means stop, why not say so? There is a perfectly good sign meaning stop already in the highway code.....
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I regard "cyclists dismount" as an entertainment. I have to figure out why I am being requested to dismount. They are often combined with other signs, presumably with the intention of clarifying the request, but usually adding to the confusion.
dismount.JPG

This is clearly the start of a shared use path, and cyclists need no longer be dismounted.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

snibgo wrote: ...This is clearly the start of a shared use path, and cyclists need no longer be dismounted.

I presume it's meant to indicate the end of a cycle track and the start of a shared use footpath: remember, Nelson had Lieutenant Pascoe to help him sort out his signals highwaymen have to work out their own.

In the meantime, had I known how to import the "Transport" font into MS Paint, I should by now have posted my own suggestion for a sign to be displayed directly outse the highways dept saying "On your bike." :twisted:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Can't resist liking to this in Harlow http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... er2007.htm

I now work just behind the bush at the end of the picture and I can confirm that all of the signs have now gone! What amuses me is that they never tell you when you can remount!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
porky

Post by porky »

I know I am very silly, but when riding with my daughter we take great delight in shouting "NO" every time we pass a "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" sign :)
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
meic

Post by meic »

I have had hassle from a pedestrian for failing to obey a cyclist dismount sign. Her friend almost walked into me while I was stationary, waiting for them to pass.
After I pointed out it wasnt obligatory, it was a cycle path and I was happily stood patiently waiting for them to pass me, she said I should get off my bike because it was good manners and I was being very rude!

I suspect she was a headmistress. :lol:

Which links into our childish delight in refusing to "obey" stupid "orders".
Yma o Hyd
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Flinders wrote:There's a cyclicsts dismount sign on a track through a local park. It is where the track dips under a bridge by a shallow pond thing.
I think it is because most cyclists might otherwise bang their heads on the bridge- though a 'low brige' sign might be more helpful to the tall.
Being small, the bridge height is no problem for me.

... but could you manage this one ...
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.u ... ry2012.htm
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

gaz

Post by gaz »

A facility for two-wheeler 'bents only?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The local highways chief stands on the dais to the left with a couple of ticket-wielding flunkeys in attendance, and unmounted cyclists pass under the yoke in front in front of him, genuflecting and touching their forelocks in gratitude for such a farcility.
gaz

Post by gaz »

HPIM0768.JPG

I came across this one about a month back when the sign read, "Cyclists dismount and use the footpath". How anyone could do that with all the bridge's ironwork in the way I really don't know.

But above all else why can't the sign say "Cyclists join main carriageway"? :roll:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade