Tragic news

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
karlt

Re: Tragic news

Post by karlt »

BBC Version:

The cyclist was on the A621 from Sheffield to Baslow near Car Top when he collided with a motorcyclist going in the opposite direction.

Who do we complain to, remind me? The above doesn't match with the eyewitness report given in the OP.

Edit: Found it. Have complained. Is it not enough that a man dies that he also has to have the implication that he was at fault when there is no evidence that he was?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Having posted a link to this thread on the time trialling forum the following observation was made regarding av speed cameras on Cat and Fiddle.

While on the Cat a motorcyclist was observed just sitting astride his bike not going anywhere, apparently this is common practise once past the first of the speed cameras, this way they lower their 'av speed' then can go like bats out of Hell thru the rest of the route.
So there are still ways around these cameras!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

karlt wrote:BBC Version:
The cyclist was on the A621 from Sheffield to Baslow near Car Top when he collided with a motorcyclist going in the opposite direction.

Who do we complain to, remind me? The above doesn't match with the eyewitness report given in the OP.
Edit: Found it. Have complained. Is it not enough that a man dies that he also has to have the implication that he was at fault when there is no evidence that he was?

Where you read this about the BBC ? I want to complain too !

Cheers.
Ian.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Sadly it seems that cyclist had not been identified, last I heard.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
karlt

Post by karlt »

Ian Raleigh wrote:
karlt wrote:BBC Version:

Where you read this about the BBC ? I want to complain too !

Cheers.
Ian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-15057452
alicej

Post by alicej »

And this is where to make a complaint https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/ ... =267014674
sharpy

Post by sharpy »

As the original poster of this accident I am appalled at the reporting of this incident by the BBC and would urge all forum members to complain.
Best Wishes
Paul
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

I have made a complaint. The media in general are too ready to use words which imply that the cyclist is to blame in any accident. Perhaps if we do not receive a satisfactory response from the BBC then we should complain to OFCOM.
N
alicej

Post by alicej »

Done. Copied here in case it helps other people write their own:

The article states that "The cyclist [...] collided with a motorcyclist going in the opposite direction." In fact, according to eye witness reports, it was the motorcyclist who collided with the cyclist after having overtaken several cars at a high speed.

This inaccuracy is offensive as it implies that fault was with the cyclist rather than the motorcyclist.

The distinction is particularly important since motor vehicles are very much more likely to cause injury or death to cyclists than vice versa, and it is important that people are aware of this when driving. Articles stating that "The cyclist collided with..." imply that cyclists are a danger to others, rather than, as should be obvious, that motor vehicles are more often a danger to cyclists.

Please correct the article and issue an apology.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

Well written and succinct. I hope that an apology is forthcoming quickly.
N
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

How many times have we seen the BBC news site reporting traggic accidents in this way. The more of that complain the better IMO.
PW

Post by PW »

If that's the section from Owler Bar to the Golden Gate roundabout at Chatsworth I'm sorry to say I'm not surprised. The whole section is a motorbike racetrack and has been for years. Fortunately (and no I won't retract that!) most of the casualties are the culprits.
A few years back two of us were heading up there en route to a pub in Holmesfield after an evenings stone circle hunting on Big Moor. I was 100 yards behind for some reason. On the Z bends by the entrance to Barbrook Reservoir my mate sent a warning shout back, 2 seconds later some loony on a motorbike came around the bend on the white line, banked over doing something close to the ton. His helmet passed between my shoulder and right ear. I was nowhere near the centreline. I can still remember the "CRACK!" as it missed me by inches. That is one of many, and I don't claim to have seen them all, by a very long way.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

My thoughts go out to the families of BOTH parties and hope anyone injured makes a full recovery.

Personally, I had a very very near miss earlier this year when a high powered bike sped past me at easily over 50mph on a 30mph blind bend uphill section in Letchworth. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Letchwo ... 3,,0,-0.24 They (there were two of them) were so close to hitting my bars it was the draft he created that struck me, luckily I'd heard him from a way back so was bracing for it. I just didn't think he'd come so bleeding close :twisted: :twisted:
Minute number plate & his speed meant no chance of me getting his number.

It doesn't surprise me that motorcyclists have a relatively high fatality rate but once again this shows that the cyclist bashing that we get from all quarters is complete & utter nonsence.
When are the 'charity' going to start making waves in government to keep the likes of Surrey police et al off our case & focus more on the real nuisanses/killers with the combustion engines :evil:

I've also given the BBC a piece of my mind over their shoddy and downright offensive (& not for the first time) reporting.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Unfortunately this type of wording has been used for as a long as I have been aware of cycists and motor vehicles colliding (I started cycling in 1978). The cycling community has always been outraged and continually complained about this wording. The only explanation i have heard that it is more 'neutral' than stating the motorcyclist (etc) collided with the cyclist where police investigations into the cause of the accident are ongoing.
peter99

Post by peter99 »

But saying a cycle collided with a motorcyclist isn't neutral, it infers the cyclist did the colliding.
Saying a cyclist and a motorcyclist collided and investigations are ongoing is neutral however and that is how it should be worded IMHO.