Road works

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

GeoffL

Just to come back again on the tactile paving I've had another look at the TAL The credits show they consulted The Joint Committee for the Mobility of Blind and Partially Sighted People (whose opposition to so-called shared-use 'facilties' is only surpassed by my own.) The did not consult the CTC or any other body representing cyclists. Now, if I were designing something for blind people, the CTC would not be my first port-of-call, but if I were designing something for cyclists..............

As for overhanging branches, I've done a bit of pruning myself to clear a footway but it is an obstruction of the highway and that's why we have highway authorities.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

GeoffL

If you or anybody else for that matter would like chapter and verse on tactile paving it's at

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/tipws/guidanceontheuseoftactilepav6167?page=10#1034

Chapter 5 is about segregated cycle routes

It explains that the layout was chosen because it was felt that the rumble effect of the lateral ridges would deter cyclists from entering on the wrong side. :lol: :lol: :lol: No understanding that the artificial tramlines would have exactly the opposite effect. It won't affect me because I'll be exercising my right to use the carriageway, no matter what our President thinks.

On a broader issue, this is only a small thing but it does illustrate how the Ministry of Transport, or whatever they call themselves at present, is utterly inept when it comes to planning for cyclists. :twisted:
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Hi T/C, and thanks for that.

According to the illustration in that DfT document, the ridges should be no higher than 5.5 mm. They seemed a lot higher than that on the Tamar Bridge, but that could just be my impression - I didn't actually measure them. Perhaps I'll make the effort to take a measuring tape next time I plan a ride that way and complain if it's out of spec. If it is out of spec, I'll log it on FTH as well. However, if it isn't out of spec I guess that I'll just have to live with it.

TBO, I'd rather ride across the rumble strips than along the tramlines and so I agree that DfT are utterly inept (dare I say, dangerous) at designing for cyclists. That said, I'd already formed that opinion from the rash of pinch points and other "traffic calming" measures that have sprung up in recent years.

Thanks again,

Geoff
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Re Twigs in the face:

What you should do is report this to the local Highways authority (District Council for most minor roads, or County/Highways Authority for main routes). They will send a legal Notice to the owner requiring cutting within two weeks or the council will do the work & charge the owner.

Doing it yourself is criminal damage, it is not the same as vegitation overhanging your own property where you can cut it back so long as you return the cuttings to the owner of the plant.

Then again, if you watch where you are going & don't cut corners too tight (unless you know the road well and know nothing is round that blind bend..!) you shouldn't hit low branches...
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

WRT tramline tactile paving, I cycled over to the Tamar Bridge today and had another look. The ridges are about a quarter inch high - so within spec - but the build-up of crud gives the impression of a long shadow, which makes them look taller than they actually are. That said, they're still tall enough to kick my back wheel sideways - it happened the first time I rode over them today, although I couldn't reproduce that when I tried to do it!

Geoff
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1685508.ece

An article here about

http://www.neighbourhoodfixit.com

which is supposed to be a site a bit like fillthathole but for reporting niggles like overgrown bushes. (The article in the paper was illustrated with a picture of a car that had completely sunk down a pothole - doesn't seem to be included in the online version.)