Priority?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ellieb

Priority?

Post by Ellieb »

This may sound a stupid question, but what exactly does it mean when the HC says one road user has priority over another ? Does it mean that t 'A' will have have to give way to 'B' no matter what the latter does, or does it imply that 'B' also needs to behave in a certain (reasonable) way. So can 'B' deliberately obstruct 'A' if he wants to? No particular instance just a general thought
gilesjuk

Re: Priority?

Post by gilesjuk »

Unless there's a road traffic act number referenced then it's just a suggestion or an ideal set of behaviour guidelines. If someone doesn't abide by these suggestions then do whatever is safe for yourself and legal.
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

As earlier poster, but bear in mind priority doesn't mean 'legal right'.

They are a set of behaviours, but don't expect everyone to abide by them
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I thought that 99% of the time when people talk about "right of way" they actually mean "priority".

My understanding is that "right of way" means "has permission to be there", whereas "priority" means "A before B" and is what actually defines the rules of the road.

So for example, the vehicle on the roundabout has priority over vehicles wanting to enter the roundabout.
irc

Post by irc »

Sometimes the priority is signposted for example for traffic in one direction to have priority. In that case failing to give priority will be Con RTA 1988 Sec 36.-

giveway-to-opp.gif
giveway-to-opp.gif (1.91 KiB) Viewed 2190 times

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/36
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Priority is the lubricant that lets our roads run at speed...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that the road traffic legislation deals with this by specifically saying what the driver without priority must do. The main situations are STOP signs, GIVE WAY signs, and GIVE WAY lines without the signs, at some junctions and at roundabouts with a normal layout. In addition to stopping for the STOP sign, giving way is defined in Reg 16 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, usually abbreviated to TSRGD.

no vehicle shall cross the transverse line ... or, if that line is not clearly visible, enter the major road in respect of which the (STOP or GIVE WAY) sign has been provided, so as to be likely to endanger the driver of or any passenger in any other vehicle or to cause that driver to change the speed or course of his vehicle in order to avoid an accident

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 ... on/16/made

If there are other types of priority I've not thought of, somebody will have to point to an example.

As to the duties of the driver with priority, I'd suggest they must drive normally. If they want to clown about, the various "bad driving" offences come to mind: eg dangerous, careless or inconsiderate driving. In an extreme case I suppose it would be some form of obstruction.

I'm not confident I've fully answered this because I'm not sure if I've completely understood the question.

Afaik, to give priority means "to allow to go first." Without phoning a friend, the only place where I can think of priority specifially being mentioned in legislation is in relation to the various forms of pedestrian crossing. I think the courts have always used the literal meaning so a driver who passes very close behind a pedestrian on a crossing is not in contraventuon of the regulations (but would probably commit a "bad driving" offence.)
==================================================================
PS As usual, the above is based on my understanding of the criminal law - things which may lead to prosecution and punishment. Afaik, the civil law - compo - is less clear-cut, in that even where a driver has priority, they must keep a good look out and act accordingly. So, for example if they can see that another's bad driving is likely to lead to a collision, then they must take what steps they can to avoid it, rather than bashing on regardless and enforcing their priority.
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

thirdcrank wrote:Afaik, to give priority means "to allow to go first." Without phoning a friend, the only place where I can think of priority specifially being mentioned in legislation is in relation to the various forms of pedestrian crossing. I think the courts have always used the literal meaning so a driver who passes very close behind a pedestrian on a crossing is not in contraventuon of the regulations

It's called "failing to give precedence to pedestrians on the crossing" and is covered by various Pedestrian Crossing Regulations.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Even less mention of priority, then, although I think precedence means pretty much the same thing.

The underlying theme is that although onbe driver may required to allow another to go first, that doesn't excuse bad driving be the other.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Top 'priority' on the road. The Queen.

Others,,, Give priority to pedestrians.
Give priority to equestrians.
Give priority to vehicles aproaching from the right in the UK.
Give priority to vehicles with an unobstructed carriageway.
Give priority at junctions to vehicles who are nearer their intended exit than you are to yours.
Give priority to vehicles ascending a hill.
Give priority on single track lanes to vehicles who are 'further down the lane', ie furthest from a passing place.
Give priority to vehicles that are capable of achieving the speed limit if you are not.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was walking past one of the "Give way to oncoming vehicles" mess-ups this afternoon, when a JCB was approaching at full tilt (30+mph) on the side which was supposed to give way. It was clear that the driver had no intention of giving way to anything smaller than a main battle tank. The driver "with priority" acted pragmatically and stopped sharply. So I'd add to the list "Give way to an oaf driving a JCB who shows no intention of stopping."
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

When talking about right of way, one of our old time club members says "right gives way to might"
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Take whatever action is required to avoid a collision.

Don't ride you bike in front of a 30 tonne Artic' just because you have legal priority.
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

Much the same in sailing circles. Nevermind the ColRegs, fibreglass gives way to wood, which gives way to steel.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

This touches a sore note for me, with regards individuals interpretation of 'Priority', especially with regards to traffic chicanes. When the priority is in my favour, it is just common courtesy to allow the vehicle that is there to clear the space. However, only this week I discovered that this only applies in car v car situations, not car v bike. The priority was the other way and I was already in between the two opposing 'blockers'. Approaching car just roars straight at me, horn blaring, shoving me up against the kerb :evil: Perhaps I should have anticipated the speed of this cars approach and in future I'll err more on the caution side. But then I don't believe that 'priority' means that you can go and mow down anyone that happens to be there.