Shot with BB gun

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
1970DGF

Shot with BB gun

Post by 1970DGF »

Hi All,

You may or may not have allready seen this but here goes, I was shot woth a BB gun whilst out on a ride in Eversley Hampshire. One of your CTC members has asked me to put the links up, as there are quite a few cyclists around these roads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13603352

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDDLf6pqS0

Thanks
meic

Re: Shot with BB gun

Post by meic »

The number plate is clearly visible, what happened when the Police checked that out?
Yma o Hyd
1970DGF

Post by 1970DGF »

meic wrote:The number plate is clearly visible, what happened when the Police checked that out?

They traced the owner of the car, but he denies that it is him or his car, also has an aliby that can put him elsewhere, so basically saying that the car is a "ringer".

I'm having trouble finding any identifying marks on the car, so there is no proof that the police can use. I think it all hangs on someone identifying the guy doing the shooting :evil:
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I find it quite that the police arent going all out over this incident - given the amount of concern currently being expressed in some quarters about deactivated / replica firearms, toy guns etc.
I think I'm correct in saying that when injuries are caused by airguns etc the perpetrator can actually be charged with a firearms offence - a very serious charge, in other words.
Glad you're ok!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

1970DGF wrote:
meic wrote:The number plate is clearly visible, what happened when the Police checked that out?

They traced the owner of the car, but he denies that it is him or his car, also has an aliby that can put him elsewhere, so basically saying that the car is a "ringer".

I'm having trouble finding any identifying marks on the car, so there is no proof that the police can use. I think it all hangs on someone identifying the guy doing the shooting :evil:

An alibi just means some dodgy geeza he knows has vouched for him. Doesn't mean it wasn't that guy.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

A shocking incident. You have my sympathy.

One possibility would be to get an article, with photo of the "alleged" offender, in a local paper. I imagine the paper would be happy to cooperate.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A couple of suggestions from me:- The Cycling Silk AKA Martin Porter QC has posted a fair bit on his blog about the bullying of cyclists and his own problems getting the police to act on his evidence, even with headcam footage. There is an invitation on his blog for cyclists to contact him for advice. Admittedly, that's in the context of selecting a lawyer, but he might have some advice with this.

http://martinporterqc.blogspot.com/

If that link only goes to his homepage, the relevant bit is linked as the first link in the right hand margin titled: Need a lawyer? My tips here. Invitation to email him at the foot of the page.

If a car is being used in this way there is now a process whereby the police can record separate incidents with a view to the car being confiscated, even if there is insufficient evidence to proceed against the driver. (The law is on the assailant's side here. The police only have a power to require the reg keeper to provide details of the driver in allegations of certain driving offences, not assault. AFAIK, this means that even having traced the right vehicle, a suspect can only be identified by an ID parade - or the video equivalent.) Here's my understanding of the confiscation procedure

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27769#p218832
meic

Post by meic »

Yes but you cant confiscate the car from an innocent person because somebody has copied their number plate.
The Police seem satisfied with the bona-fida owner's alibi.

I remember getting a summons from the Leeds Police over an unpaid parking offence I had supposedly committed. In the end they dropped the case as I was living in Australia and the number plate was being worn by a Mercedes car, not my little Kawasaki motorcycle.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:Yes but you cant confiscate the car from an innocent person because somebody has copied their number plate.
The Police seem satisfied with the bona-fida owner's alibi.

I remember getting a summons from the Leeds Police over an unpaid parking offence I had supposedly committed. In the end they dropped the case as I was living in Australia and the number plate was being worn by a Mercedes car, not my little Kawasaki motorcycle.

I know that false number plates are used and it's unlikely that they will be used unless the driver is "up to no good." OTOH, unless they are running around in a James Bond car, with the reg plates changeable like the routes on a bus, the ringer will turn up regularly. I doubt if anybody goes to the trouble of fitting a set of false plates to their car to take a pot shot at one cyclist and then returns to being a model citizen. Obviouly, a PNC marker has to explain what's suspected of happening.

If the OP is happy that the police have cleared the genuine vehicle and its users of involvement, fair enough, although I'm sceptical about how much cloning really happens, rather than is alleged, especially with ticket issued to company vehicles. A driver who would stand a ticket in his own car, may be unable to admit to the firm that he has been many miles away from where he should have been.
meic

Post by meic »

Another point is that the country is littered with NPRS cameras, we even have one near here.

So the Police/DVLA just run that number plate and it shouldnt take long to confirm that it had or had not been in two places at once if it has been duplicated for any length of time..
Apparently they are also supposed to give a good picture of the front seat occupants.
Yma o Hyd
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

At least you got some pictures of the culprit in the process of commiting hte crime and the number plate, even if the police do not appear to be following it through... and I can't add advise on that except what has already been said.

11 of us were shot at in a TT at the end of last year in Yorks, from behind but most of just believed a stone had flicked up orsomething it was not until we were all back at the HQ and we compared stories that we realised the seriousness of the incident. Of course none had had chance to get a number, vehicle was probably passing at 50-60mph so would quickly be out of no plate range/visibility.

Police were quite keen to follow it up and had suspicions as to the culprits but with no reg number not easy.....!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Whilest you where clearly "shot with a bb gun", where you actually injured????
The Police's response will be tempered by actual injury as apposed to the alleged action...

I'm with you on this one having been nearly blinded as a child by an air rifle...

Of course "nearly blinded" means i was'nt !!!
1970DGF

Post by 1970DGF »

Not seriously injured, just a small bruise/whelt on inside of my upper arm.
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

Whilest you where clearly "shot with a bb gun", where you actually injured????
The Police's response will be tempered by actual injury as apposed to the alleged action...

So, had it been a Colt .45 and he missed ...? :?
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Surely being shot at is being shot at, irrespective of the gun/missile it is still an assault by an individual to another :?:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells