Cylist killed on the A 38

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CyberKnight

Cylist killed on the A 38

Post by CyberKnight »

Cyclist killed very near to me yesterday riding on the A 38, i feel very sorry for those involved and my sympathies go to his family.

I know that stretch of road and it is very dicey i would not cycle on it, i am not sure if it is a m class road

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Cyclist-killed-in-crash-on-A38.htm
link to sign below....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stretton+derbyshire&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Stretton,+Alfreton,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=53.146874,-1.414348&spn=0.018277,0.038238&z=14&layer=c&cbll=52.836298,-1.612796&panoid=Nl3TbrPxvkIEdCA4X7VqjQ&cbp=12,348.97,,0,5&source=embed
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Trigger

Re: Cylist killed on the A 38

Post by Trigger »

There's no way I'd bike on any section of A38 dual carriageway. I too live in Derbyshire and have to go between places linked via the A38, but I'd not consider it for a second and that's coming from a confident road rider with very good road craft both on and off the bike.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

another RIP
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

That section of the A38 is effectively a two lane motorway.

I would never cycle down it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CyberKnight wrote: ....link to sign below....

Thanks for the streetview link. I generally find these really useful. Apart from the fact that it's a 'Cyclists' warning sign, I'm not clear if it has some extra significance in connection with this collision.

From a bit of a local tour based on your link, I see that there are cycle "facilities" at the junction.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

To describe the A38 from Lichfield to Derby as a two-lane motorway is flattering it. Motorways do at least have some design standards. The A38, however, is a horrible, dangerous road full of unsafe T-junctions and heavy HGV traffic. I drive up and down it once a week (between Lichfield and Burton) and seriously wish I didn't.

Yes, there are some fairly basic cycle facilities at the junction, but (if the Burton Mail report is accurate) the fatality wasn't near any of them. There are three crossings at the top of the south-side sliproads, where traffic should be stopped or going slowly anyway, and then a rudimentary cycle path along the pavement of the northbound carriageway. I've never understood why that red triangle sign (linked to by CyberKnight) is there - it doesn't appear to relate to any of them.

To be honest, the facilities might be rudimentary but I'm very glad they're there: otherwise the only way to cycle north from Burton in any degree of safety would be to take the hilly roads via Newton Solney or Rolleston, or the muddy canal towpath. But Burton is a nasty, bike-hostile town in general.

Richard (I cycle in Burton four days a week)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Malpas

Post by Malpas »

This was Pat Kenny twice LEJOG record holder and someone who had cycled over 900,000 miles so hardly a novice.
RIP Pat, so sad you did n't get to a million.
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

IIRC, the A38 between Burton and Alrewas was the K16 time trial course (25). I rode this in the 1970s and 1980s and it was pretty crowded back then; virtually a motorway in all but name. RIP.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Malpas wrote:This was Pat Kenny twice LEJOG record holder and someone who had cycled over 900,000 miles

Shocking news. Are you able to confirm that it was Pat Kenny? I can't find anything via Google, or on the YACF or AUK forums. I rode many a mile with Pat back in the 80's and 90's - a really nice man. It's awful to recall that Fliss Beard, another tricyclist and AUK stalwart, was run down and killed on the A38 over 20 years ago.

Rest in peace

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks. That's terrible. After this news, going out on the bike tomorrow will be that bit more difficult.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:To describe the A38 from Lichfield to Derby as a two-lane motorway is flattering it.

I meant that in the sense of the ferocity of the traffic. People drive way in excess of the speed limit and the design of the road allows for that. It is a dual carriageway and there are no inline traffic islands, they are raised above the road.

Sure, the road has many turnings off it, but if it was to be made safer for cyclists they would have to drop the speed limit to 50MPH and have speed cameras along it.
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

RIP, Pat this is sad news coming on top of the fatalities we have had so far this year.

Yes this is the road used as the K16 time trial course. Back in the 80's we time trialled on it regularly, then there was a fatality by Bassets' pole (cyclist crossed the road prior to the start of a 50), then sadly Fliss Beard (trike record breaker) was killed on the main stretch that was regularly used for the shorter events.
After this the course was no longer used. It has been re-instated of recent years as since the opening/redesigning of the A50 the A38 is a much quieter road.
Having raced on it several times in the past 3-4 seasons I could not describe it as a 2 lane motorway, there is often very little traffic on it. Having said that I believe this is more dangerous than a busy road. I believe there is an attitude that it is quiet so no need to take as much care....!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Isn't there a footpath on the west side of the road that cyclists use - or is that further south?

Personally I wouldn't cycle on the A38, its a busy road and from experience on it as a car driver the standard of driving is no better than on any other road ie poor.

Condolences to the family.