And another fatality in Cambs this morning

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

And another fatality in Cambs this morning

Post by Tonyf33 »

Unfortunately some poor teen has being killed in the early hours on the A10, apparently the driver left the scene of the accident from the report.
Annoyingly the BBC have managed to imply that the cyclist was in collision with the car from its main headline whilst the local news clearly indicates the other way round.
Obviously no idea if the cyclist had lights or not or who was at fault but no excuse for the driver to leave the scene of an accident (which implies guilt IMHO)

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Te ... rbeach.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-12201871
gilesjuk

Re: And another fatality in Cambs this morning

Post by gilesjuk »

I saw this on the news this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12201876

'Were the horses wearing high vis or lights' will probably be the reaction from motorists.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

RIP
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's not as if a horse is small object to see, especially not two of them!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gilesjuk wrote:I saw this on the news this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12201876

'Were the horses wearing high vis or lights' will probably be the reaction from motorists.

i
Horses tend to get a wider berth as they damage your car more!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:It's not as if a horse is small object to see, especially not two of them!

Exactly and to have killed the horse and rider at the scene it must have been a horrendous impact, what annoys me as does it others is how the case is considered to be careless driving and not dangerous :twisted: Something that endangers another by their action or inaction is exactly that, dangerous. There is nothing careless about injuring or killing another sentient being even if the intention wasn't to do so.

A charge of careless driving just trivialises these incidents and lessens the sentence that can be given.
Is it possible/worthwhile for the CTC to throw some weight to backing dangerous as the preferred mode where injury/death has occured, especially given the amount of incidents where drivers are getting off with impossibly light sentences which acts as no deterrant whatsoever.
Rant over!
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I see no one has dared to comment on the news website about unlit cyclists or helmets. Usually someone does on C.E.N.
In a later report, Luke the 17 year old, a young Dad too, was said to be pushing his bike when he was hit by the BMW.
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.
peggy

Post by peggy »

Sports cyclist killed by van driver in Stroud

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... ticle.html
meic

Post by meic »

The person who posted comments about the incident DID change his mind when spoken to reasonably.
Possibly a lesson to be learnt there, possibly not.

This one is a bit close to home in that I didnt know her but many of the others riding with her were friends of mine.
Yma o Hyd
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The person who posted comments about the incident DID change his mind when spoken to reasonably.

2 very impressive replies that caused a change of mind

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Sports-cyclist-dies-collision-long-distance-ride/article-3106711-detail/article.html
peggy

Post by peggy »

Has the time now come for a massive campaign to make motorists more aware of cyclists and to educate the Judges who hand down such ridiculous sentences to those who kill cyclists. Feeling strongly about it more so today because I was at the funeral yesterday of a 44 year old cyclist killed by a taxi driver on New Years Day.
peggy

Re: And another fatality a38

Post by peggy »

enigmatic

Re: And another fatality a38

Post by enigmatic »

Pat Kenny. RTTC, RRA and MRRA Record Breaker on two and three wheels, 300000 miler, 2nd to Chris Davies in all-time mileage claims, Timekeeper and Committee stalwart. Long-time friend and encourager of many, including myself. Leaves wife and three adult children. R.I.P. :(
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Seems to be a lot of vans that are involved in accidents. Isn't it about time the larger transit style vans were considered a light goods vehicle and require additional training?

A little unfair on the sensible van drivers, but there seems to be a bunch of people who are very casual in their driving, not really paying attention, hand holding the mobile etc.