Hit a cat

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
drossall

Re: Hit a cat

Post by drossall »

I remember (I think on an Audax) being warned to slow down because a herd of deer(?) were running on an angled course across the neighbouring field, and weren't about to worry about the Highway Code when they reached the road. They just ploughed straight on wherever they were going. Good job none of us was in the way.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

sjs wrote:
drossall wrote:
Guy951 wrote:... down the hill between Upper Gravenhurst and Campton...

OK that's near here, so next time I go that way I'll watch out for a bat that's as blind as a ...

Near here too. So a local bat can blame its bruises on the recent closure of Upper Gravenhurst's pub.

Nah. The one time I went in the Green Dragon, some years ago, it was such a filthy pest-hole I had to wipe my feet on the way out :shock:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
sjs

Post by sjs »

Guy951 wrote:Nah. The one time I went in the Green Dragon, some years ago, it was such a filthy pest-hole I had to wipe my feet on the way out :shock:

That seems a bit harsh. I called in a few times on family cycling trips and they were perfectly friendly. No gastro-pub, but OK for beer and crisps.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

sjs wrote:
Guy951 wrote:Nah. The one time I went in the Green Dragon, some years ago, it was such a filthy pest-hole I had to wipe my feet on the way out :shock:

That seems a bit harsh. I called in a few times on family cycling trips and they were perfectly friendly. No gastro-pub, but OK for beer and crisps.

It was 15+ years ago. I found the White Hart in Campton and decided to stick with that one. There's loads of different rides to get there, and being a mile from home it's only about a 15 minute walk back if I decide to stay and have a few.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

I've nearly had a rat been taken up by my front wheel and goodness only knows how many bats, owls and other fauna - including one which did not look like any other animAL i'VE SEEN

Odd gloves
MDC

Post by MDC »

A kitten crossed in front of me some years ago, I could not avoid it and ended up falling off and breaking my collarbone. I have had no sympathy for them ever since.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I've run over a cat. I had no chance as it came out from under a car. It was not pleasant for either of us. I also ran over a squirrel. It feigned to go one way so I bought the dummy, then it cut in front of my wheel. Have to say felt pretty bad on both occasions. The worse was a frozen dead rabbit, like hitting a brick and very nearly came off!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I've run over a juvenile rabbit. It seemed transfixed by the bike and I took a wide berth, as I just passed it it ran between the wheels and the back wheel went squarely over it. Some creatures do seem to have a death wish.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Tandouri cat....yummy :twisted:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:I remember (I think on an Audax) being warned to slow down because a herd of deer(?) were running on an angled course across the neighbouring field, and weren't about to worry about the Highway Code when they reached the road. They just ploughed straight on wherever they were going. Good job none of us was in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-yq2jlnnc
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

The best way to avoid livestock, especially prey animals, is to ride straight at it. Nature has supplied them all with instictive behaviour to escape - it's trying to avoid them that they don't understand and can't cope with.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mmmmmmm.....I did that but them pesky dog walkers just freeze :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

:D Only works for animals. Human dog walkers tend to havd neither sense nor instinct! Having said that on several occasions it's worked for me on several occasions when confronted with groups of aggresive yobs deliberately blocking the road - pick the apparent leader and ride straight at them as hard an fast as possible. The instint to get out of the way kicks in and you're past before they have time to think about it.
Barstaff

Post by Barstaff »

Worst thing happened to us was on the way to theYork rally.

About 1am out of the pitch darkness we hear 'watch out for the bull on the road'

It was a slow five miles into Knaresborough!!!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

MartinC wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

:D Only works for animals. Human dog walkers tend to havd neither sense nor instinct! Having said that on several occasions it's worked for me on several occasions when confronted with groups of aggresive yobs deliberately blocking the road - pick the apparent leader and ride straight at them as hard an fast as possible. The instint to get out of the way kicks in and you're past before they have time to think about it.

Be careful you may well end up in court . http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds ... 496757.stm
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker