Hit a cat

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Hit a cat

Post by thirdcrank »

I once gave a hare a surprise. I was on my Birdy in Norfolk, on the road between Burnham Market and Ringstead. This is largely single lane, and mainly lined with hedgerows. I was scooting along at some speed - there's something about a Birdy that encourages this - when I came across a hare sitting in the road. It was off like a flash but it stayed on the road. I should have thought it could have heard the tyre noise, especially on those gravelly roads, but it lolloped along for a bit then stopped to check my progress. I was right on its (w)heel :lol: and the surprised leap was quite spectacular.

That road forms part of the NCN 1 so there must be at least an occasional cyclist. Probably the first BOF on a Birdy. :D
Dr.Doo

Post by Dr.Doo »

It's over 25yrs ago but I vividly remember running over a dog that ran out of its garden and inbetween some parked cars, I and it didn't stand a chance. It was just round the corner from home and I'd just set off for an interview. I was distraught at hitting and causing minor injury to the dog but the owner had to accept liability as he'd left his garden gate open and didn't have the dog under control. Thankfully the interview was rescheduled.

As a cat potty cat owner I don't let my cat out of the front of the house. Consequently she hates roads and traffic.
Gazza

Post by Gazza »

I ran over a fox's tail once in the middle of the night commuting home through a dark lane.
Didn't see it until it jumped out of the bush right infront of my wheel.
Gary K
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

A friend of mine hit a cat that ran out right in front of him. I don't know what happened to the cat but he broke his collar bone. :(
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Les Reay

Post by Les Reay »

Nothing to do with cats, but I had a remarkable experience with an owl.

I was on a favorite route along the top of the Lanchester valley in County Durham, which gives views over Durham Cathedral.
As I cycled round a bend, I found an owl flying about three feet in front of me, and we continued thus for about two minutes along the road. When we reached some trees, the owl landed on a branch and I stopped about six feet away. The owl settled itself for a few seconds before it noticed this grinning cyclist next to it, and nearly fell off its perch.

It looked at me with an expression which said as clear as day: 'where the hell did you come from?', then flew off into the trees behind.

A priceless moment!
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

About seven o'clock last night I was freewheeling down the hill between Upper Gravenhurst and Campton when there was a THWAPSQUEAK as something bounced off my arm and landed on my shorts. I looked down and saw a bat clinging on for dear life! I had to stop and let it compose itself and fly away before carrying on to the pub.

I've been flied and mothed often enough, had a wasp down my jersey :shock: , even heroned on one memorable occasion, but this is the first time I've been batted.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Si

Post by Si »

Guy951 wrote:I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

About seven o'clock last night I was freewheeling down the hill between Upper Gravenhurst and Campton when there was a THWAPSQUEAK as something bounced off my arm and landed on my shorts. I looked down and saw a bat clinging on for dear life! I had to stop and let it compose itself and fly away before carrying on to the pub.

So neither the sensors on temporary traffic lights nor bat's radar can detect bicycles!
skicat

Post by skicat »

I might be able to claim the record for 'size of animal in collision with cyclist' here.

When I was about 14 I had a weekend job. It was half way across Newcastle, and the route to/from was a choice between crossing Nuns Moor or going the long way around the moor through a rough housing estate. Mostly the moor won. I often came home in the dark, my Raleigh Esquire equipped only with hub dynamo lights. You can't go very fast over the moor - its rough, the paths are just mown grass and there are some big holes. The combination of dim lights and probably being very tired after a 12 hour shift was never going to end well. Did I mention that there was a herd of cows on the moor? Well yes, and I caught a glimpse of one of them about 4 feet before I hit it broadside on. I don't know who was more surprised but I don't recall either of us sustaining any injuries.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Si wrote:So neither the sensors on temporary traffic lights nor bat's radar can detect bicycles!

Maybe it was a motorist bat. It saw me alright, just misjudged my speed :lol:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Cheltcyclist

Post by Cheltcyclist »

Hit a rabbit on my paper round as a boy.

More recently I had a duck jump out in front of my car go under both wheels leaving a cloud of feathers in my wake - one of the really unfortunate parts of the story was that it was in the car park of the Slimbridge wild fowl trust .... !
drossall

Post by drossall »

Guy951 wrote:... down the hill between Upper Gravenhurst and Campton...

OK that's near here, so next time I go that way I'll watch out for a bat that's as blind as a ...
drossall

Post by drossall »

SleepyJoe wrote:And I also run into a bus passenger- he bounced off the road and walked away but my front wheel ended up bent...

I've never forgotten an experience I had when cycling home from school. A kid ran out of a driveway, and along the pavement next to me. I had a fair idea what was going to happen next, so eased up a bit. Sure enough, straight out under my front wheel.

He lay there on the ground and shouted, "You idiot!"
sjs

Post by sjs »

drossall wrote:
Guy951 wrote:... down the hill between Upper Gravenhurst and Campton...

OK that's near here, so next time I go that way I'll watch out for a bat that's as blind as a ...

Near here too. So a local bat can blame its bruises on the recent closure of Upper Gravenhurst's pub.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Only once, two years ago on one of my 24 hr unsupported rides, 8 hours of darkness down country roads so lots of wildlife, but it was light and thrashing down into minehead 40 +, must have been a squirrel as it darted across my path twice then a noticeable Bump on rear wheel :?: Dont give it much chance.

I used to cringe (heart drops in to stomach) on a motor bike when a cat / dog / anything crossed my path, but in time I dont react anymore and thus I dont jerk the bars and stamp on the brakes, same odds as doing nothing.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I once ran into an elk. It probably doesn't count because I was running rather than cycling.
I was in the woods in BC Canada and ran round this bush and collided with this elk coming the other way, don't know who was more surprised. (Fortunately it was surprised rather than angry - a good thing because elk are a tad dangerous!)