This morning...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: This morning...

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
He's made several attempts to contact me today (phone reception in my office is shocking) and wants to know how much it will cost. I have no real doubt that he will man up.

Hope you're right,let us know how you get on.
It's not like he damaged anything stupid like mudguards which are ridiculously expensive...

People who don't cycle have no idea whatsoever of the cost of quality kit.
I was once approached by a chap who was admiring our Cannondale tandem,he nudged my arm and said "I'll bet you wouldn't have much change out of three or four hundred quid for that",he got the shock of his life when I told him to add a nought.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

karlt wrote:Bob's right - an insurer would make a deduction for betterment - you're replacing a chain/cassette with for the sake of argument 2000 miles left in it for one with 6000 (numbers made up for illustration); you're out of pocket now but will recoup that in 2000 miles time when you haven't got to replace them.

People do sometimes struggle with this one. If it helps, consider the extreme case - a cassette and chain which were already skipping and which in fact you have already bought replacements for and which you're planning to replace that evening. In that case, your loss on the old items is in fact virtually zero because they'd have been in the bin by the end of the day.

When I got rear ended by a bus, wrecking the rear wheel & mudguard I bought a better wheel (that matched the front I'd replaced when I'd put a hub dynamo on the bike). I also put on a new tyre and inner tube (even though they were OK) then I contacted the insurers, gave them the receipts with the rider that if they paid promptly I would be happy to call it a day. A week later a cheque arrived with no questions...

Insurers don't want court cases and lawyers, I think if you simply hand them the cost they'd much sooner pay it and wipe their brow.
In the case of the damage here no sensible motorist would put it through their insurers anyway.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

kwackers wrote:In the case of the damage here no sensible motorist would put it through their insurers anyway.
He still needs his car repaired. Those gouges(?) look expensive to me.

However, if the car has many dents and damages already, it may not be worth it.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:
kwackers wrote:In the case of the damage here no sensible motorist would put it through their insurers anyway.
He still needs his car repaired. Those gouges(?) look expensive to me.

However, if the car has many dents and damages already, it may not be worth it.

Looks like an old model Fiesta(?) to me. If so then personally I'd live with them. (Might not be fully comp insured)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Needs a new spider, so we'll see what ICE say. Of course that needs a new chain as well (and the chain probably has a serious weak point now, which will need a new cassette...
The bottom bracket will have taken a big transient load too - check out the boom clamps while you're at it.
Glad you're OK. Hope the driver was insured - have you checked? ;)
"42"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

karlt wrote:Bob's right - an insurer would make a deduction for betterment - you're replacing a chain/cassette with for the sake of argument 2000 miles left in it for one with 6000 (numbers made up for illustration); you're out of pocket now but will recoup that in 2000 miles time when you haven't got to replace them.

People do sometimes struggle with this one. If it helps, consider the extreme case - a cassette and chain which were already skipping and which in fact you have already bought replacements for and which you're planning to replace that evening. In that case, your loss on the old items is in fact virtually zero because they'd have been in the bin by the end of the day.

I recall an curious experience of mine - somewhat analogous to this - but it's nothing to do with cycling! I'd just bought a new car, and was driving the old one to the garage for the last time, for trade-in. A few hundred yards from the garage, another motorist rear-ended me at traffic lights. The damage to me - a few dents in the rear bodywork and a crumpled exhaust - was minor. The other motorist was very contrite and offered to pay up in full. I let him out of his misery by revealing to him that I was actually taking the old car for trade-in. So I explained that, unless the garage varied the price they'd already offered me on the old car (which was rather rusty, and they weren't giving me much) - he'd have no claim to answer to. As it happens, the garage paid up their original offer without argument.

So my erring motorist got away with it! But I hope his conscience made him become a better motorist ...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Needs a new spider, so we'll see what ICE say. Of course that needs a new chain as well (and the chain probably has a serious weak point now, which will need a new cassette...
The bottom bracket will have taken a big transient load too - check out the boom clamps while you're at it.
Glad you're OK. Hope the driver was insured - have you checked? ;)

I'll check the clamps and alignment - it doesn't look off, but it's worth checking.

The load wasn't really transient/spiky - it was all very gentle (if forceful)

The gouges are fairly dramatic - the car however is old, and somewhat larger than a fiesta (yes I have a decent photo of the car and plate). I don't think I'd do more than polish and maybe add some touchup paint.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

You have a duty to sting him for as much as you can so he is more careful in future.

Ring a claims lawyer. Don't forget all the mental stress you suffered.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

blackbike wrote:You have a duty to sting him for as much as you can so he is more careful in future.

I refuse to stoop to that level
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
JimL

Post by JimL »

Equally don't leave yourself out of pocket.

If a new chain and cassette are required as a consequence of the the accident then an insurance company would have paid without quibble .

Glad you are ok.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
blackbike wrote:You have a duty to sting him for as much as you can so he is more careful in future.

You're entitled to claim for loss, damage and expense. It isn't stooping to claim, it's the way the system works. In an ideal world the law would give cyclists better protection but right now it's how it is - careless motoring is accepted and compensated for with cash.

A note of caution - you were moving from a minor road into a major road, which could be used by the motorist to put the blame on to you. Its quite common for a motorist to claim for whiplash injuries as well as loss and expense in those circumstances, which can include loss of earnings while their car is being repaired. I wouldn't dare settle it personally with the current motor claims culture.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The "stoop" comment was regarding 'Don't forget all the mental stress you suffered'.

As yet I don't need a lawyer... I would be happy to pay the fair share of usage on the existing chain/sprockets - they are consumables after all, it just changes the timing of the replacement.

Just had a call to say that he has paid ICE for the parts and shipping (in full, despite me suggesting a compromise as above), but that he had missed the cutoff time for today's post.
Yet to have confirmation from ICE, but that sounds like a good result to me...

You're entitled to claim for loss, damage and expense. It isn't stooping to claim, it's the way the system works.

Loss: 5 minutes of time, I call that natural variance on a journey.
Damage: He's paid in full for all parts required - despite some being worn, and 'indicated' parts, rather than obvious damage.
Expense: It's cost me 3 emails and one SMS.

I suppose I will take some time to fit the shiny parts, but I'm not paying him for that benefit ;)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob, your too honest.
Do what I do,
Get a quote from shop.
Show him and then adjust the price to do work yourself, perfectly legal.
If he quibbles, get the shop to do the work and ask for the old parts back.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Well said Bob.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And I have now had confirmation from ICE - the bill is indeed paid in full.