I Hate Sportives........(Riders)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

I Hate Sportives........(Riders)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I posted the other day that my local cycle path has been swept and the last time in a year was when the VIP's turned out with the press.
Now on the 2nd april there is a Haldon Heroic Sportive (Exeter Race Course - Newton Abbot) arriving and that despite the fact that they stress that a road bike is not recommended.
Some one has seen fit to also put up a national cycle route numbered sign :?
All this flurry for MTB's and Xcrossers.
They have even removed a speed hump at beginning of path.
It took several months to put wood on a galvanised barrier next to a staggered gate, which I thought was dangerous, carefully passing it.
When they gritted the tarmac on path all the roadies used the road, and the majority of users are dog walkers.

Tuesday and Thursday I have been inundated with many extra road going bikes (maybe Xcross drop bike's or there is another event soon?), going in the opposite direction, tue I could of head butted three oldies in succession busy nattering to there mates in the gangs two abreast like you do, only my alertness and braking avoided head on collisions :evil:
Another blind corner two abreast cyclist, the outer one had to swerve to avoid me on a road which is a rat run for vans and twits on their morning route to the A38, a road / lane which was adorned with "Silent Lane" signs then they miraculously disapeared :? Probably because its a rat run.
Then today after the gangs had passed I spied an App toting cyclist busy punching on his devise winding all over the path, to which I had to shout as he was looking down for several seconds :twisted:
Its more than a coincidence that all this flurry prior to the event, which shows that the way the planners work is to be seen to serving a sport and not the tax payer, the daily commuter or old fart like me can be dammed :(
I would like to know who paid for the sweeping of path, sportive run / sponsored by forestry commission.

Is it me or has the cycling sportive fraternity been invaded by total morons :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ellieb

Re: I Hate Sportives........(Riders)

Post by Ellieb »

Not sure I understand. Has the sportive actually happened yet?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
No but there is a flurry of activity on the cycle path for the 50 milers, finishing off signs, like they need them, and chain gangs.
MTB's and Xcross need only apply because there will be tree routes and rocks etc, but the cycle paths are smooth already so why sweep them?
The rough stuff is in Haldon forest, no where near the cycle paths around Newton abbot.
Its not a road sportive but an off road one with some roads and paths to build up mileage.

My main gripe is that they don't need the paths sweeping at all, they were already like motorways compared with haldon forest.
A the paths have leaves and swigs and flood through winter, cyclist don't use them, partly because of this.
But bring on the he-men and they are given the red carpet.
They are obviously training on the course.

There is a very dangerous element on this course, I think that they are going the other way (need to check) so it might no affect them at all.
There is a sign post where the stover cycle path crosses Exeter road between a382 and kingsteignton.
The sign to advertise a café obscures view of road at eye level, I know its there but it caught me out in the week.
I doubt that any planner / whatever has ever riden the route.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I don't know who organises the sportives in your area, but down in our neck of the woods (Sussex) they all seem pretty well-behaved and cause no trouble at all - at least, not to other cyclists like us! As far as I can tell they're mainly confined to roads and many participants turn up on road bikes. The only special preparations I've noticed are the posting of directional arrows, and the organisers are under obligation to remove those once the event is over.

My only downside is, I try to avoid being on the same road, going in the same direction as the sportive, at the same time. It's far too embarrassing being overtaken time and time again! :oops: :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

If that's how it works, I think maybe cyclists round here should encourage one, we might get the off-road paths swept and maintained a little better.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I paid and duly took part and enjoyed 3 Sportive's last year.
The Arrow, Ripon Revolution and Suffolk Spinner.
On each of them I spent time with fellow cyclists who had not paid, "I just turn up and ride the route" they all said. "after all its public roads" mmmmm
Then while at our caravan in Cornwall a family turned up, he was a head master of a primary school and had rode the London / Surrey 100 the weekend before their holiday on his gleaming Pinerello ...
He also had not paid to enter and said " why, public roads !!"

This year I think I will join them ...£25 to ride on public roads around Lincolnshire .... possibly not ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

That's a tough one. One might say the same of every charity ride - "why should I pay when I can cycle the same road for free?"

Thing is, on a sportive, people will be able to see you haven't coughed up, because you won't be wearing a number - assuming that (a) the sportive issues numbers, and (b) you haven't faked one! So if the genuine participants want to regard you as rude and crass - well, that's their choice.

Personally I wouldn't gatecrash an organised event. I might find myself riding part of the route by chance, but it would be by coincidence.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Pete ... who mentioned charity rides, non of the Sportive's I entered and paid for last year was for charity.
They where simple business deals.
I am riding a charity sportive on the 11th April and have paid and raised funds through work sponsorship.
When I wrote about my first sportive on here last year I received a lot of negative comment about being stupid enough to pay to ride on the public roads.
Now I'm criticised for not paying........
Don't you just love this site :D :D :D
Be more Mike.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Couple of years ago I was based in Rosemarkie and was cycling in the Black Isle area NE of the Tore roundabout off the A9. Lots of people gave me friendly waves and some motorists flashed their headlights and waved. I was getting seriously worried till I discovered there had been a charity ride the previous day and they all thought I was still going :P
Si

Post by Si »

I'm intrigued (well, it's a slow day)....these people who'd not paid for the sportive....did they help themselves to the refreshments too? Pretty bad show if they did.

My impression of sportives is that, on public roads open to all traffic, you pay for the timing gubbins, the certificate/medal, the T shirt, and the food.

I have encountered people who did an audax without paying....saved themselves £4, cost them a lot of stress as they made the mistake of following someone else who they assumed was on the audax and knew the route...ended up quite a lot further from the start than they bargained for :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

landsurfer wrote:Pete ... who mentioned charity rides, non of the Sportive's I entered and paid for last year was for charity.
No slight intended, sorry. I was simply elaborating on the point made by you and others, by saying "one" - by which I mean, someone else with fewer compunctions - might play a similar stunt on a charity ride. I didn't mean to imply that anyone on this forum, would....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

And I would never take anything from the organisers ... technically theft I believe ..... no offence taken Pete , you make some good points ..
Be more Mike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
On Sportives, I don't follow the advertising of such so I have often found myself cycling along a road where an event is going on, my timing that day is lead by my program of fitness etc, lone cyclist so particular to me.

Cycled the Abbots Way from Buckfast to Prince Town (Tavistock) and as I arrived along a very well used bridle path I had to go under all the flags / stuff that was laid on for some event / whatever, I initially felt a bit stupid but why just because I use a well worn public path like I had started walking some 43 years earlier.
I see no problem with using public spaces at any time, ruling is that the organisation on such does NOT interfere with other users in any way.
Such events on datrmoor, not all as some are hardcore aimed at experienced people, are fun events and I can tell by the expression of the competitors faces it is fun, you are unlikely to view me that way that way ever :mrgreen:
Sportive is a modern craze that has a charity flavour to it, like it or hate it.

My original gripe is that it takes such paid events to buck up the authorities to do what then planned and have money for, and I am sure that after the event it will return to normal.
The chain gangs that ride at me are no different from groups of peds going the opposite way on any pavement anywhere, know the feeling.

I must move quick and check direction of sportive and that flipping dangerous sign so there is not a problem if I only knew who to contact.
The speed hump removal is also another silly dangerous situation as it slows the traffic just before the exit of cycle path on to highway :?
Just like :? cycle paths that exit off pavement at 90 degrees onto a main road, how do you tackle that problem on your bike?

No one is taking all this seriously but they are still paid to pretend to, more politicks and less common sense...............
pwa

Post by pwa »

I can understand a local authority putting a bit of time, effort and money into an event that happens in their area. And I don't see sportive cyclists as a different breed. I've known people who do them, and also tour and commute by bike, and do audaxes. Some people do sportives as a highlight of their cycling year, to break up the monotony of regular life. Live and let live.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Some people are enjoying cycling differently than how I enjoy cycling. HOW DARE THEY!!!11!!1