Tacks on the cycle path in Swansea

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hamish

Tacks on the cycle path in Swansea

Post by hamish »

Watch out for tacks/drawing pins on the cycle path in Swansea around Blackpill on Route 4

Two of us punctured this morning and other people I know had problems yesterday.

Nobody knows who is doing it and why but it is irritating.
pwa

Re: Tacks on the cycle path in Swansea

Post by pwa »

hamish wrote:Watch out for tacks/drawing pins on the cycle path in Swansea around Blackpill on Route 4

Two of us punctured this morning and other people I know had problems yesterday.

Thanks for the warning. They'll get bored after a while, and maybe grow out of it.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Glass all over the Beaconside cycle path in Stafford, no accident, I'd say, from what I could see as I drove past (a very long, broad and even line of small fragments of glass, catching the sunlight). I've seen what was clearly deliberately placed glass in a cycle road crossing near Newport too- that was nasty big curly shards from several broken bottles.

Drives ask why we don't use them, well, that's one reason amongst many.
VanDriver

Post by VanDriver »

hamish wrote:Nobody knows who is doing it

Local mouthbreathers.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

An Australian tourist?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:
hamish wrote:Watch out for tacks/drawing pins on the cycle path in Swansea around Blackpill on Route 4

Thanks for the warning. They'll get bored after a while, and maybe grow out of it.

I have been shocked how some people who act with some mad grievance can continue acting and keep the grievance fresh in their mind for many years. I hope those responsible get caught (or give up) quickly but don't not report it or not investigate in the hope they will "grow out of it" as they might not.

There seems to be various anti-cycling incidents - reported on here recently was barbed wire across a cycle path at the height to catch a cyclist (i.e. the person rather than the bike).

Ian
theclaud

Post by theclaud »

Were you one of the tandemists repairing between Blackpill and the university?

They are at it again. I was nailed (well... pinned) near West Cross yesterday. http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-cycle-path-drawing-pin-menace-widened-net/story-29032901-detail/story.html
hamish

Post by hamish »

theclaud wrote:
Were you one of the tandemists repairing between Blackpill and the university?

They are at it again. I was nailed (well... pinned) near West Cross yesterday. http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-cycle-path-drawing-pin-menace-widened-net/story-29032901-detail/story.html

Not me. I was riding a Surly on my way to work. Annoying they are at it again.... Sorry to hear they got you.
HoratioWondersocks

Post by HoratioWondersocks »

Hello
Another culprit in the campaign to puncture our tyres ,certainly in my area are the bin men, why they can't get the glass into the bin lorry is beyond me .Have complained to council ,but it still goes on.
The shear amount of glass in the road means this not a Johny thicko, Friday night drunk ,lets get anti social thing, and I've actually seen the bin lorries in the area ,after I have come across ,and fortunately avoided the spilt glass (so far).
There appears to be no obligation on there part to clear up the spillage THEY leave.
I don't know how car tyres would be affected by this problem(some of the broken bits are large and very sharp), but I assume that most of the bin men are drivers ,so its a bit dumb to spread broken glass everywhere.

Cheers Andy
pwa

Post by pwa »

HoratioWondersocks wrote:Hello
Another culprit in the campaign to puncture our tyres ,certainly in my area are the bin men, why they can't get the glass into the bin lorry is beyond me .Have complained to council ,but it still goes on.
The shear amount of glass in the road means this not a Johny thicko, Friday night drunk ,lets get anti social thing, and I've actually seen the bin lorries in the area ,after I have come across ,and fortunately avoided the spilt glass (so far).
There appears to be no obligation on there part to clear up the spillage THEY leave.
I don't know how car tyres would be affected by this problem(some of the broken bits are large and very sharp), but I assume that most of the bin men are drivers ,so its a bit dumb to spread broken glass everywhere.

Cheers Andy

I think that's what you get when you work people so hard that they can't spare the time to clean up as they go. I think they call it efficiency. I call it false economy.