From Pogies to woolly knickers, tips for staying snug when c

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Farawayvisions

From Pogies to woolly knickers, tips for staying snug when c

Post by Farawayvisions »

A few years ago, when I took up cycling, I braved the winter weather a couple of times and got so cold, my snot froze. But as time went on, I learnt how to dress for the conditions and found that my weakest spots were my hands and feet.

http://www.farawayvisions.com/how-to-stay-warm-when-cycling/
Flite

Re: From Pogies to woolly knickers, tips for staying snug wh

Post by Flite »

Definitely second the recommendation of Hot Pogs.
I've had mine two winters now, and they are the only thing that makes biking in winter possible for me

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93565&p=864306&hilit=hotpogs#p864306

Never mind what they look like - you'd be surprised how many tough young folks look at them enviously
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Best idea ever and I couldn't care how daft they look.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

leg warmers useful also. use them outside around the ankles like putties, I think they are called? (WW1 ankle things?)
hamster

Post by hamster »

Puttees 8)

Overshoes have been a revelation to me, it's amazing the difference they make.
The other thing is to keep your wrists warm. Cold receptors there cut off blood to the hands - a gap between sleeve and glove gives cold hands. I learned that racing sailing dinghies in the winter.
beardy

Post by beardy »

mercalia wrote:leg warmers useful also. use them outside around the ankles like putties, I think they are called? (WW1 ankle things?)

Puttees were used when I joined up, though a shorter version than in WW1.
They were "sold" as being for support and protection rather than warmth, we wore them in summer too.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Yes i remember puttees well too , 2 little buckles on the outside if i remember rightly , these days a good pair of walking gaitors does the trick .
beardy

Post by beardy »

That is gaiters which you are remembering (I am not that old! :lol: ).
Puttees were just a length of woolen? cloth that you wrapped around ending with a tape that you wrap around itself to hold things in place.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Oops you caught me out :D :D yes I remember now , wrapped them round and round and tucked the end in .
millimole

Post by millimole »

hamster wrote:Overshoes have been a revelation to me, it's amazing the difference they make.

Another vote for overshoes - even my thinnest ones are amazing. The cheaper ones seem to have zips made of cheese though
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agreed, Velcro closures are better especially for removal when clogged with mud.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Shorts underneath Roubaix tights have saved me. I know a chap who swears by women's tights underneath his tights , but that's another story!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I wear gaiters at work purely for laundry reasons. Green splatter from a brush cutter is a pain. I'm dressed before the school run which I do on the bike and I've got to say I am much warmer, drier, cleaner and there's no oil on my trouser leg.

I've just got a pair of Rainlegs which I like. I'm not convinced by pogies yet. I wear LF summer gloves even in the winter. My hands don't feel the cold...b
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Being brought up many years ago on country estates I remember putees and gaiters. Putees think Bertie Wooster and I think were mostly leather or cotton ankle length and a fashion item at that time.Often white or certainly light coloured.Gaiters were nearly knee length brown leather and worn by grooms and chauffeurs who wore breeches. Strangely they were also worn by the officer class in WW1 at least. ( I do not remember that far back being not born then). :D