Video - Yet another cyclist a victim

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Shootist

Re: Video - Yet another cyclist a victim

Post by Shootist »

The bike seemed to stand up to it quite well. Anyone know the make? How much etc?
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Would it be unkind to wonder quite why you seem to want one?.. :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Shootist wrote:The bike seemed to stand up to it quite well. Anyone know the make? How much etc?

I thought so too. Only collision I've had was with a Claud Butler Dalesman 531. Only doing 5mph with the sun in my eyes I didn't see a metal fence, stopping children running out onto the road from a foot bridge. It stopped me dead and with DT and TT kinked, front wheel hitting the DT, the bike was a right off!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

A closer look at the video and a bit of Googling finds it to be a 'Dolan' make. No idea what model but looking at the prices I'd definitely want to ride it while looking where I was going.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

May I take this opportunity to confess that I have run into the back of a parked car. :oops:

I think it was when I was in my teens. I wasn't looking where I was going.

In nearly 60 years of cycling, that's not too bad a record! 8)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I feel quite sorry for the poor cyclist. In my opinion his own fault, but must have hurt, lapse of attention, maybe a bit tired and what was probably a good ride becomes a bad ride in no time atall.

Makes me feel a bit sad for the guy. I'm sure he had some nasty bruises and injuries to recover from and I'm sure wont be making the same mistake again. Lucky the car was not damaged. I did think that car driver was very reasonable. I could imagine quite a few drivers coming out furious claiming the entire back of their treasured car was ruined beyond repair and demanding insurance company details, etc.

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

661-Pete wrote:May I take this opportunity to confess that I have run into the back of a parked car. :oops:

So have I. I was 13 / 14 and was adjusting my front brakes at the time! :lol:
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

AlaninWales wrote:
661-Pete wrote:May I take this opportunity to confess that I have run into the back of a parked car. :oops:

So have I. I was 13 / 14 and was adjusting my front brakes at the time! :lol:

So have I (and not as a child :D ), it's probably not that uncommon. I was cycling through Windsor Great Park, having never been there before, and just enjoying the scenery, turned a corner and cycled straight into the back of a parked car.

The front forks were a bit bent and the handlebars bent inwards, but I went on to join the London to Brighton bike ride and then ride back to Bristol, so the bike couldn't have been that badly damaged.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

obviously a city banker out for a bit of exercise :lol: :lol: :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:obviously a city banker out for a bit of exercise :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep,they're used to crashes without looking ahead,then blaming someone for it :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:obviously a city banker out for a bit of exercise :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep,they're used to crashes without looking ahead,then blaming someone for it :mrgreen:

Best we have a whip-round to buy him a whole new bike or two eh?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Best we have a whip-round to buy him a whole new bike or two eh?

Well riding like that he'll definitely need one,so I'm sure as a banker(that's banker),he'll get bailed out :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

+1. I was on my paper round. Never really figured out what happened, but obviously all my fault.

Hope the car in the video was wearing an h***** :lol:
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Hope he doesn't drive like that, could do some damage.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There was a famous, but possibly-apocryphal, story of a rider on one of the old courses on the A1. He arrived late, parked in the slip road :shock: nipped round the corner to the start further down the side road, raced away from the time-keeper, took the corner head down and went straight up the back of his own bumper :shock: :lol:

So many things wrong with that.