Another sad accident.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Another sad accident.

Post by Grandad »

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/breaking-serious-accident-closes-a2-90921/

My impression from this report is that the cyclist was passing a parked delivery lorry when it pulled out and drove away, probably without realising he had hit her.
661-Pete

Re: Another sad accident.

Post by 661-Pete »

Another hit-and-run, so it seems (according to the report the driver was stopped by police ten miles away). Another lorry. Another female cyclist (this last - I still can't comprehend). Another deterrent likely to have the effect of putting off cyclists. And another family shattered. :(

These tragedies are still few, measured against the number of cycling trips made overall. But each death is one too many.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There is little control of parking in that stretch of road - despite some of it having yellow lines.
It has a 30mph limit which is probably too high for the conditions.
If I'm going to or from Faversham etc I use the less trafficked parallel road.
The problem with delivery drivers is the time pressure - a quick glance and very rapidly away - I suppose that could be said about a lot of drivers though.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Delivery drivers are the worst culprits for parking. Oh, a double yellow line, space for me stop. It's ok, I've got my park anywhere lights flashing :cry:
Power to the pedals
gaz

Post by gaz »

Loading/unloading is allowed on double yellow lines except where specifically prohibited, which would be indicated by additional signs and markings: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... d-markings

That doesn't make such practices safe.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

jezer wrote:Delivery drivers are the worst culprits for parking. Oh, a double yellow line, space for me stop. It's ok, I've got my park anywhere lights flashing :cry:

Delivery drivers do have to stop on yellow lines sometimes. That's a plain fact. But they also have to take the time to look in the mirrors and pull away with caution.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

pwa wrote:
jezer wrote:Delivery drivers are the worst culprits for parking. Oh, a double yellow line, space for me stop. It's ok, I've got my park anywhere lights flashing :cry:

Delivery drivers do have to stop on yellow lines sometimes. That's a plain fact. But they also have to take the time to look in the mirrors and pull away with caution.

A lot of delivery drivers are self-employed and on poverty pay as they are paid so little for each delivery.

Obviously that's no excuse for being careless but the temptation to rush around so you can afford to eat and pay the bills won't help road safety.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

gaz wrote:Loading/unloading is allowed on double yellow lines except where specifically prohibited, which would be indicated by additional signs and markings: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... d-markings

They routinely take no notice of No Loading markings and signs as well. And then there are the hire coaches which carry out the "loading" of their passengers - I've not been able to find out whether legally that is "loading" - over the course of a brief 5 hours.