cheap cycling jackets for cold dry weather

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

cheap cycling jackets for cold dry weather

Post by mercalia »

I got my ex army softie jacket from Ebay a week ago for £25 in excellent condition, came in its own stuff bag and packs quite small for putting in a saddle bag or pannier. Seems like an ideal cold but dry weather jacket for cycling. is very light, has long arms and cut to the back side and very loose fitting, zips right up to the neck & in no way constrains any movement. Seems quite wind proof also. Any one else here uses these? I didnt know of them until some one posted about them in the camping forum. Best jacket I have bought for a long time
ragudave

Re: cheap cycling jackets for cold dry weather

Post by ragudave »

I have a second hand pile n pertex Montane smock. I use it for Winter hillwalking and cycling in cold conditions. They are great until it rains or the sleat goes warm.

Dave
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I never really saw the point in windproofs. Rain jackets are both (at least ime) water resistant and windproof and so only the one coat is needed on a bike ride. My Aldi rain jacket does both and has the benefit of a fleecy neck covering, a front side pocket for keys etc and a big rear pocket for whatever a big rear pocket is for. Roomy too :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I took a gander at these on Ebay and was quite surprised by the quality and good condition they were in for s/h ex army issue.
There was also some new ones for an extra tenner :)

I would find them a bit warm for cycling but for general wear or work wear they'd be great IMHO :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:I took a gander at these on Ebay and was quite surprised by the quality and good condition they were in for s/h ex army issue.
There was also some new ones for an extra tenner :)

I would find them a bit warm for cycling but for general wear or work wear they'd be great IMHO :)

well I bought 2 from differnt sources - both in excellent condition. There are a lot for sale some in less than perfect condition at a reduced price eg broken zips or stains or tears. The stuff sack is useful to have as it does pack down quite small. Even if you dont use while cycling they are small and light enough to carry with you should you stop and its cold? I have been using one for general wear and the lack of weight is amazing. No more heavy jackets. I got a "new" one for £25 incl postage.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Vantage wrote:I never really saw the point in windproofs. Rain jackets are both (at least ime) water resistant and windproof and so only the one coat is needed on a bike ride. My Aldi rain jacket does both and has the benefit of a fleecy neck covering, a front side pocket for keys etc and a big rear pocket for whatever a big rear pocket is for. Roomy too :)

Breath-ability and wash-ability.

With most waterproofs I would get boiled-in-the-bag and they need special washes with expensive special magical fluids.
There was a time when it didnt actually rain all the time and my windproof was my normal outer jacket.
At the moment I cant actually remember my last ride when it didnt rain or rain wasnt expected. :(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the very cold weather today outside in London was a good test - the softie jacket was so light didnt know I had it on and performed wonderfully. Its softie nature means that it in no way inhibits any movements like a normal fabric jacket might. Maybe too warm for some one who really bombs along and generates lots of heat, but for the slow oldies amongst us a great and modestly priced jacket that can be got in very good condition ( & is reversible for the summer desert nights 8) )
millimole

Post by millimole »

I was out yesterday in Derbyshire / Staffordshire in my Buffalo smock. It was about 5° without the wind chill of cycling (or the warmth of cycling up hill). I was just about right - a bit cool on the downhills, and a bit warm towards the top of the inclines.
The only problem with Buffaloes is that they smell like one at the end of the day!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

mercalia wrote:I got my ex army softie jacket from Ebay a week ago for £25 in excellent condition, came in its own stuff bag and packs quite small for putting in a saddle bag or pannier. Seems like an ideal cold but dry weather jacket for cycling. is very light, has long arms and cut to the back side and very loose fitting, zips right up to the neck & in no way constrains any movement. Seems quite wind proof also. Any one else here uses these? I didnt know of them until some one posted about them in the camping forum. Best jacket I have bought for a long time

Still dosen't beat my aldi special ! £12.99 , very windproof and warm . :D
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

For cold, dry weather I'm very happy with my Decathlon jacket: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-warm-cycling-jacket-red-black-id_8343078.html, which is light and comfy and surprisingly warm for its weight. I do sweat a lot though, and max temperature I'd wear it in would be about 5 degrees. Any more mild and you particularly notice the arms getting wet. But at that temperature I'm happy in a long sleeve base layer + jersey on top. Below freezing, this is still good with two layers underneath including long sleeves.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PhilPub wrote:For cold, dry weather I'm very happy with my Decathlon jacket: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-warm-cycling-jacket-red-black-id_8343078.html, which is light and comfy and surprisingly warm for its weight. I do sweat a lot though, and max temperature I'd wear it in would be about 5 degrees. Any more mild and you particularly notice the arms getting wet. But at that temperature I'm happy in a long sleeve base layer + jersey on top. Below freezing, this is still good with two layers underneath including long sleeves.

looks a bit short around the hips and backside, will ride up when you stretch out? and close fitting?- I dont like jackets like that? Also not for general use, which the softie is fine for?
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

millimole wrote:I was out yesterday in Derbyshire / Staffordshire in my Buffalo smock. It was about 5° without the wind chill of cycling (or the warmth of cycling up hill). I was just about right - a bit cool on the downhills, and a bit warm towards the top of the inclines.
The only problem with Buffaloes is that they smell like one at the end of the day!

I ride around the same area and unless its close to freezing or below i dont bother with a full jacket ,and then its a packable windproof .
My normal set up would be a l/s base layer , roubaix l./s jeresy and a a gilet .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

mercalia wrote:looks a bit short around the hips and backside, will ride up when you stretch out? and close fitting?- I dont like jackets like that? Also not for general use, which the softie is fine for?

Yes it is fairly close fitting, and there's not a great deal of room in the rear pockets (enough for keys/wallet, etc. but too small for any amount of food for example). But it doesn't ride up, it's not very long but plenty of overlap with a normal pair of Winter tights. I wouldn't wear it for general use.