Edburton Road, Henfield closed for 5 days from 15 Feb. 2016

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Edburton Road, Henfield closed for 5 days from 15 Feb. 2016

Post by squeaker »

As shown in the attached, this popular cycling route will be closed to all traffic for a maximum of 5 days from 15 Feb. :(
Attachments
EdburtonRoadClosure.jpg
"42"
661-Pete

Re: Edburton Road, Henfield closed for 5 days from 15 Feb. 2

Post by 661-Pete »

Thanks for the heads-up: I don't often cycle that way (my cycling range has somewhat diminished of late - and besides the road is rather hilly) but I know that road pretty well. It's part of a whole series of good cycling routes that run along the foot of the South Downs, just north of the scarp slope. I'm not clear from that notice, which part is blocked, but Clappers Lane which runs north from the village of Fulking (I jest not!) might serve as a reasonable detour.

But the notice says, access for pedestrians will be maintained. If that is so, at the worst you might be able to wheel your bike past the affected stretch.

But not necessarily. I've had several instances in my local area, where roads have been blocked by works to the point of being impassable even for cyclists and pedestrians. One case was Rocky Lane south of Haywards Heath (that disaster area for cycling!) which was completely sealed off while the new bypass was being constructed (Mr "you've got to build by-passes" Prosser would have been delighted!). Another was Beechwood Lane at Cooksbridge north of Lewes, which lay on my commute and was closed for several weeks last year whilst a new pavement beside the road was being laid down, if you please! A pair of heavy wire fences were strung across the road making it impossible for me to walk my bike past the works. I had to take a longer, more traffic-infested, and hillier detour.

I suppose that's the jobsworths at their jobsworthiest! Dig a six-inch hole in a road, and the public have to be kept a hundred yards away from the site, for elf'n'safety reasons.... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

661-Pete wrote:But the notice says, access for pedestrians will be maintained. If that is so, at the worst you might be able to wheel your bike past the affected stretch.

It's not a road I know, but sounds as though it should be passable. It's very irritating finding a road closed notice and not knowing whether it's completely fenced off or passable on foot or cycle. The sign would be better if more information were given eg road closed to motor vehicles.

As for Rocky Lane - your favourite :lol: - I walked along some of it a few months ago whilst waiting for my wife at the nearby clinic. A very wide black top path, 3 metres width estimated, for pedestrians and cyclists has been constructed on the new A272 past the new housing estate, no doubt paid for by the developers. WSCC latest attempt at cycling infrastructure. :roll: At the Bolnore end, rather than the normal WSCC favourite Cyclists Dismount, there is Cyclists Rejoin Carriageway. The only problem it's against the flow of traffic. doh! :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

MikeF wrote:As for Rocky Lane - your favourite :lol: - I walked along some of it a few months ago whilst waiting for my wife at the nearby clinic. A very wide black top path, 3 metres width estimated, for pedestrians and cyclists has been constructed on the new A272 past the new housing estate, no doubt paid for by the developers. WSCC latest attempt at cycling infrastructure. :roll: At the Bolnore end, rather than the normal WSCC favourite Cyclists Dismount, there is Cyclists Rejoin Carriageway. The only problem it's against the flow of traffic. doh! :evil:

Don't I know it! :D Nowadays best avoided. :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).