Deliveroo

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

Re: Deliveroo

Post by Redvee »

coffeedrinkerUK wrote:I see Halfords (its no good being snooty ) have opened a super duper bike shop in Union Street and there's a quite flashy cycling shop right in the centre of Broadmead. I cant think of any more but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "fixie" shop somewhere there. O I think the Halfords allow test rides from that shop.

Cycle Republic are Halfords bike only stores. There's BlackBeard Cycles at the end of All Saint's Street and I'm pretty sure I've seen another bike shop in Broadmead area but can't remember where. The local Fixie shop was Bristol Dropouts which was on Stokes Croft a few doors up from TDP cycles but they've moved up to Church Road recently.

Some pics of Old Broadmead can be found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebo ... /lightbox/
coffeedrinkerUK

Post by coffeedrinkerUK »

Im sure when I glanced in through the door that the Hafords on Union Street it had more makes than their own. I saw Dropouts had left Stokes Croft, my immediate thought was that they'd gone bust due to the immense number of cycling shops in Bristol, over 60 I thought I read somewhere. I cant think who BlackBeard cycles are but I hope to get by on the current choise.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Redvee wrote:
coffeedrinkerUK wrote:I see Halfords (its no good being snooty ) have opened a super duper bike shop in Union Street and there's a quite flashy cycling shop right in the centre of Broadmead. I cant think of any more but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "fixie" shop somewhere there. O I think the Halfords allow test rides from that shop.

Cycle Republic are Halfords bike only stores. There's BlackBeard Cycles at the end of All Saint's Street and I'm pretty sure I've seen another bike shop in Broadmead area but can't remember where. The local Fixie shop was Bristol Dropouts which was on Stokes Croft a few doors up from TDP cycles but they've moved up to Church Road recently.

Some pics of Old Broadmead can be found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebo ... /lightbox/

In Broadmead itself, there's Halfords (sorry - Cycle Republic) and a Cycle Surgery.

There is an Evans just outside Broadmead (on Lewins Mead, next to the enormous construction site for even more student accommodation). There's Jakes Bikes in the precinct next to the bus station, and Fred Baker Cycles up at the other end of Stokes Croft.

I didn't know the Bristol Dropouts had closed, but I rarely go on that length of the Croft.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

coffeedrinkerUK wrote:Im sure when I glanced in through the door that the Hafords on Union Street it had more makes than their own. I saw Dropouts had left Stokes Croft, my immediate thought was that they'd gone bust due to the immense number of cycling shops in Bristol, over 60 I thought I read somewhere. I cant think who BlackBeard cycles are but I hope to get by on the current choise.

By "Halfords bikes only store" he means they are Halfords stores which only sell bikes, without all the car polish and stuff in their other shops.

I too had assumed Dropouts had gone bust, there's no sign there redirecting customers. I went up (and then down!) Church Rd yesterday but didn't notice them; in fact, I only saw one bike shop (and that a corner of local car accessories place) between Old Market and Kingswood High Street.

Don't know Blackbeard Cycles either, but there is a place in St Nick's Martket. Can't remember the name but it's not Blackbeard. And of course there's Roll for the Soul not far off, with Ryan who builds mean wheels, and Jake's in the Bearpit.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Bmblbzzz wrote:... there is a place in St Nick's Martket. Can't remember the name but it's not Blackbeard.

The name you're looking for is CHaOS cycles Cycles, Household and Other Stuff.
coffeedrinkerUK

That place in St Nicholas market only sells components and accessory's but (not sure about this) they may do repairs on another site and Its been there a long time. "Iv bought a couple of things there."
There's a big Raleigh shop over at Gardener Haskins, it may seem a bit uncool to some, or maybe not ! but its there.
whoof

Post by whoof »

coffeedrinkerUK wrote:That place in St Nicholas market only sells components and accessory's but (not sure about this) they may do repairs on another site and Its been there a long time.

They do repairs but not wheel building. They are very helpful and reasonably priced.
andy_l

Post by andy_l »

Monday night about 6pm I watched a Deliveroo cyclist go through red lights at the top of Park Street, dodging the traffic coming from his right along Park Row. He then pootled along the right-hand side of Queens Rd, opposite the Wills Building/Museum etc. No lights, dark clothing...
coffeedrinkerUK

andy_l wrote:Monday night about 6pm I watched a Deliveroo cyclist go through red lights at the top of Park Street, dodging the traffic coming from his right along Park Row. He then pootled along the right-hand side of Queens Rd, opposite the Wills Building/Museum etc. No lights, dark clothing...

What a surprise! "guess what",, i saw one do the same thing at the bottom of Temple Meads slope ... I'm beginning to think myself and about three other people on the planet are the only ones left still stopping on red. It would be a bit ironic to get tangled up with another cyclist and his hardware, who had jumped a red in opposition to ones self.
There was an article in the Times financial pages a couple of weeks back, i only skimmed it but i think they are fairly big cheese.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I thought most of these pizza boys had largely disappeared from our streets - but apparently not! Today I happened to glance at one of our local - big-chain - pizza outlets as I cycled past, and sure enough, there were a couple of these scooters parked outside, carrying the livery of the chain (not "deliveroo"), big box at the rear and adorned with 'L' plates. Do they still have to deliver to a time limit? Can't anything be done about this gratuitous danger to everyone?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
coffeedrinkerUK

I think the whole thing about Deiverydoo is that you order a meal from a restaurant, they pick it up and pack it into those big square boxes, put it on their backs and deliver it to you. Maybe the restaurants sign up to the business.They deliver more than pizzas although a dare say they might deliver anything.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

We have lots of Deliveroo cyclists here in Bath. On some days recently, when the weather has been poor, they have outnumbered all other cyclists when I've been in town. When the weather was at its worst a week or so ago, torrential rain and a howling gale, I watched one poor bloke flogging his way straight into the worst of it with the huge box attached to his back.

What worries me is that quite a few do seem to ride with the box attached to their back rather than on the bike. That would be bad enough normally, but with Bath's hills to go up, it seems utterly stupid to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if many don't last long in the job.

Anyone know what they are delivering? The boxes are large enough to fit some people's entire possessions. :)

Just seen coffeedrinkers' email, the boxes seem far too large just for those deliveries!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No, Coffeedrinker is right. Deliveroo is a "premium restaurant takeaway" service (where "premium" probably applies to the mark up more than anything: once for the restaurant chain name, once for the delivery). I presume the box has to be large because it's insulated and is designed to hold several meals. Perhaps it has little shelves inside? Might also be a space for the rider's stuff: tools, jacket, etc. https://deliveroo.co.uk
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Given the number of Deliveroo riders I see outside McDonalds they must be doing their deliveries too :)
coffeedrinkerUK

Redvee wrote:Given the number of Deliveroo riders I see outside McDonalds they must be doing their deliveries too :)

That would be one expensive way of getting yourself a Chicken Mc Donut ....