Deliveroo

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

Deliveroo

Post by Revolution »

I have recently notices a scourge of boys on motor scooters bombing about the streets of Bristol, all with enormous Deliveroo boxes on the back.
Yesterday I was forces to avoid collision with three of them riding side by side and shouting at each other. One then ran a red light while the other two stopped on an ASL - clearly oblivious to the meaning of the picture of a bicycle on the ground.
Given that in Nottingham, you can have high quality video of attempted murder going unpunished, I decided not to waste my time reporting the incident. My next thought was insurance - motor policies do not normally cover a vehicle for business purposes and a quick Google revealed that fast food delivery does indeed require the vehicle owner to inform the insurance company of the intended use - premiums are then adjusted. I find it hard to believe that the little tikes I encountered last night had gone to this trouble but I was told by Deliveroo in London that they used a 3rd party company to carry out background checks on all of their drivers before contracting them, these checks included verifying the employee had the correct insurance cover.
The up-shot of all of this is that I was advised that If I wanted to make a complaint about the behaviour of any of the Deliveroo employees I should email
driverops@deliveroo.co.uk
As this company runs operations in many cities across the country I would encourage anyone who encounters Deliveroo people riding dangerously or breaking the law to email the company - to complain that is, not to order a pizza :?
Heltor Chasca

Re: Deliveroo

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've only come across cycling Deliveroos. I met and chatted to a Greek rider up at the top of Lansdown in Bath. He had cycled up from the centre to deliver food to the boarders at the school. RESPECT to him for getting up that hill with a massive box on his back!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I've only come across cycling Deliveroos. I met and chatted to a Greek rider up at the top of Lansdown in Bath. He had cycled up from the centre to deliver food to the boarders at the school. RESPECT to him for getting up that hill with a massive box on his back!

I've seen the same guy in Bath. It was blowing a gale which was difficult in cross winds just riding a bike, I don't think that I would like to try in with a huge square sail on my back.

The were also plenty of these delivery cyclists in Manchester when I was there a couple of weeks ago.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Saw a cycling Deliveroo on Sauchiehall street in Glasgow the other day. Big box to carry on your back on a bike.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've seen a few motor scooters but more cycling. This is also in Bristol. If you want to see the Deliveroo cyclists, they hang out in front of the Victoria Rooms when they're not on a job. I don't know where the motorised ones congregate.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Revolution wrote:Given that in Nottingham, you can have high quality video of attempted murder going unpunished, I decided not to waste my time reporting the incident.

Was there any doubt who was driving those scooters then? Send the photos to ASPolice, who weren't involved in Nottingham.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Spotted a Deliveroo cyclist with lights :shock: in Brizzle city centre on my way home on Monday but the lights were on his helmet and the rear was blocked by the box on his back. I did mention that the box should be where the light should be and not his helmet cause it can't be seen.

Spotted one of their scooters riding illegally back in July

[youtube]cRRli32j7W0[/youtube]
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I remember when that cut through was a full-on road! Only about twenty years ago... Perhaps less.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Tempted to apply for a job, then I'd be a pro cyclist!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I remember when that cut through was a full-on road! Only about twenty years ago... Perhaps less.

And when Broadmead had cars running through the middle of it and not pedestriansised.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Redvee wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I remember when that cut through was a full-on road! Only about twenty years ago... Perhaps less.

And when Broadmead had cars running through the middle of it and not pedestriansised.

Did you know that the Horsefair and Penn Street - which go around the outside of Broadmead past Debenhams, and between Cabot Circus and 'proper' Broadmead - are supposed to be "buses, taxis, cyclists and 'for access'" only? You'd never know it, given that crossing it can take 5 minutes. So many people completely ignore the sign by Primark and go into there anyway - I think many of them interpret 'for access' as 'I cannot be bothered to walk that huge long distance from thre Cabot Circus multi storey car park'. (another frequently ignored one is the similar sign which means 'general traffic' isn't supposed to come off the Centre and onto Quay Street).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't remember cars driving through the middle of Broadmead, though I've seen it on old photos, but there used to be car parking off the Horsefair. Perhaps still is. It was there in the early '90s. Though I'm sure most people driving along there are just picking up their lazy passengers from Debenhams, MacD's or Cabot Circus.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

brooksby wrote:Did you know that the Horsefair and Penn Street - which go around the outside of Broadmead past Debenhams, and between Cabot Circus and 'proper' Broadmead - are supposed to be "buses, taxis, cyclists and 'for access'" only?
See it all the time, cars waiting at the lights at the bottom of Union Street turning right with a Police car in the left lane ignoring it.

General traffic' isn't supposed to come off the Centre and onto Quay Street).

Another I'm aware of but doesn't beat the car I saw come from Rupert Street turn left into Quay Street then right up Small Street :shock:

Bmblbzzz wrote:There used to be car parking off the Horsefair. Perhaps still is. It was there in the early '90s.
Most likely Quakers Friars, the quieter part of the Cabot Circus development, people walk from Cabot Circus to Galleries but ignore the shops that are where the Registry Office once was.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, there's the multistorey there but there used to be some car parking behind the shops on the inner side of the Horsefair. Or perhaps it was only meant for deliveries, but certainly people did park there.
coffeedrinkerUK

Post by coffeedrinkerUK »

I see Halfords (its no good being snooty ) have opened a super duper bike shop in Union Street and there's a quite flashy cycling shop right in the centre of Broadmead. I cant think of any more but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "fixie" shop somewhere there. O I think the Halfords allow test rides from that shop.