The Poplar High St collision

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

The Poplar High St collision

Post by Paulatic »

Here's another case just come to light of driver failing to nominate.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBm93E7HU ... e=youtu.be
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:Here's another case just come to light of driver failing to nominate.

It's all just too easy isn't it? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Paulatic wrote:Here's another case just come to light of driver failing to nominate.

Don't like to play devil's advocate but a highly dubious bit of filtering there, before the accident. I think if the driver had stopped and cooperated, it would have been 'knock for knock' at best.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The driver should have stopped regardless of who hit who but that clearly is entirely the cyclists own fault.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The cyclist could have slowed down a bit more and been a bit more cautious at the junction but from an insurance liability point of view I would think it would be entirely the drivers fault, they should have been going a lot slower, pausing before entering the cycle lane.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vantage wrote:The driver should have stopped regardless of who hit who but that clearly is entirely the cyclists own fault.

How do you work that out?

Imagine you want to turn right across a dual carriageway, the right hand lane of that carriageway is full of stationary traffic but there's a gap. You drive through the gap and are then hit by a vehicle travelling in the left hand lane.
Who's fault is that? You're the one turning, the other poor sap is simply travelling along his empty lane and can reasonably expect that nobody will suddenly drive in front of him.

Making one of those lanes a cycle lane doesn't really change anything - although I do have some sympathy for a driver in those circumstances since I'm not a fan of cycle lanes... :wink:
Vantage

Brutal hit & run - Nottingham2

Post by Vantage »

I can see your point, but that isn't a dual carriageway, it's a single lane. The traffic had indeed stopped. Even the big white van at 0.08sec in had stopped before the left sideroad and that in itself should be enough of a giveaway that he/she is letting someone through.
It's one thing to take the view that filtering up the inside is entirely legal but bloody stupid to assume its ok to go blazing up the inside or between vehicles like a eejit and across every junction without a care in the world.
Right of way is of no use in a wooden box.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Vantage wrote:I can see your point, but that isn't a dual carriageway, it's a single lane.

No. At the point the collision occurred there was a separate cycle lane. Having said that, I agree there were gaps there I'd not dream of filtering through, and I'd have been very wary of that gap at the side road. Contributory negligence, possibly.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vantage wrote:I can see your point, but that isn't a dual carriageway, it's a single lane. The traffic had indeed stopped. Even the big white van at 0.08sec in had stopped before the left sideroad and that in itself should be enough of a giveaway that he/she is letting someone through.
It's one thing to take the view that filtering up the inside is entirely legal but bloody stupid to assume its ok to go blazing up the inside or between vehicles like a eejit and across every junction without a care in the world.
Right of way is of no use in a wooden box.

No, it's two lanes. As I said I have sympathy for the driver because it's not a dual carriageway in any traditional sense that they may recognise but the man has seen fit to squeeze a narrow lane in and therefore there are now two lanes and crossing them requires care and attention from the driver.
(The white van is a red herring. I always stop short so as not to block junctions whether or not there was anything coming).

As for the rest, I agree that a bit more care wouldn't go amiss. Right but dead etc etc.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps the discussion about the Poplar High Street video ought to be separated off into a different thread? The two cases have very little in common.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
foxyrider

Brutal hit & run - Nottingham3

Post by foxyrider »

Vantage wrote:The driver should have stopped regardless of who hit who but that clearly is entirely the cyclists own fault.

Agreed - obviously not looking at traffic behaviour and relying on others to do the watching. Couldn't see that it was the drivers fault at all, the bike hit the rear of the car so the 'in collision with a car' that the media like to use would, in this instance, be correct!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
kwackers

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham3

Post by kwackers »

foxyrider wrote:Agreed - obviously not looking at traffic behaviour and relying on others to do the watching.
Couldn't see that it was the drivers fault at all, the bike hit the rear of the car so the 'in collision with a car' that the media like to use would, in this instance, be correct!

So you'd be happy to swing across two lanes of traffic without making sure there was no traffic coming and if you happened to hit something whilst turning right you'd claim it was their fault?
Good luck with that.
Vorpal

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham3

Post by Vorpal »

foxyrider wrote:

Agreed - obviously not looking at traffic behaviour and relying on others to do the watching. Couldn't see that it was the drivers fault at all, the bike hit the rear of the car so the 'in collision with a car' that the media like to use would, in this instance, be correct!

The car driver was crossing a marked (blue!) cycle lane. As described above, that is no different than crossing any other traffic lane. The driver is obligated to ensure it is clear.

I have to admit that it was not wise of the cyclist to cross the junction so quickly without good visibility, but IMO, the junction design is really poor.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Flinders

Re: The Poplar High St collision

Post by Flinders »

Similar thing happened to me many years ago in London. Driver didn't stop. Other drivers did, however, get out of their cars to make sure I was okay, for which I'm still grateful.
iviehoff

Re: The Poplar High St collision

Post by iviehoff »

If you wish to remain alive as an urban cyclist, you have to be aware of the risk of this happening. You have to be prepared to stop, especially if you are unsighted. Yes, you have priority, but the reality is that a sufficiently large minority of vehicles won't give it to you, so you have to take precautions, whatever the law is. I'd like to see a successful prosecution for a strike in such a case, then maybe drivers will begin to learn it is true. But ultimately until we have roads populated by saints, then caveat cyclista in such circumstances.