KNOCKED OFF AGAIN!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bigdummysteve

KNOCKED OFF AGAIN!

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I was knocked off again today on the school run, driver in front sped off, realised he had cut up an oncoming car then slammed it in reverse at high speed clobbering me, minor damage to the bike and sprained wrist. This is getting beyond a joke and luckily I did not have the kids on board ( since the last incident I've found a route which avoids most of the roads)
I'm beginning to think it's too much of a risk cycling with kids onboard.
Graham

Re: KNOCKED OFF AGAIN!

Post by Graham »

Sorry to hear that, Steve.

It immediately reminded me of this topic started by Anthony ( Forum Admin ) in which he declares that the former cycle to school has become a walk to school.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=96360

This is a very sad situation.

My own riding has been gravitating to the network of country lanes - the quieter the better.
Last edited by Graham on 3 Feb 2016, 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It’s easy for me to say it, but I’d keep doing the school run by bicycle. That’s ultimately how the car-centric culture will change.

Hope you’re already feeling better. I suppose the driver apologised at least?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry to hear about your crash. If it's any consolation, I think drivers take rather more care with children on board. I have not had the kinds of incidents & almost incidents with children that I have had on my own.

That's said, 'school run' drivers are certainly some of the worst: impatient, parking badly, agressive, etc. If the offending driver was another child's parent or carer, have a word with the Head Teacher. Sometimes they can make a difference. The Head Teacher certainly made a difference at our school in rural Essex with some help from local police. Although, I think the potential for that is less at some schools than others. A couple of Heads at schools where I taught Bikeability were part of the problem, rather than the solution.

Good luck and speedy recovery, in any case.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hamster

Post by hamster »

Remember that if there is an injury in an accident you should call the police. I hope you did - and that you got the driver's details.
Heltor Chasca

KNOCKED OFF AGAIN!

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm sorry Steve. I see bad stuff regardless of whether I'm on the bike or not. My Big Dummy has been wearing wideloaders this week and I'm pleasantly surprised how the 48cm extra width makes drivers pass carefully. In 'slim-mode' It doesn't seem to make a difference whether my daughter is on board or not.

I hope you get over the shock pronto and you heal quick. I'm glad you have found some traffic free routes. Hang in there...b
pwa

Post by pwa »

I believe that when I am driving I am most likely to make a silly mistake (like the one described) when reversing. I assume the same applies to other drivers. It is stupidly easy to try to reverse quickly into the space you have just vacated without properly checking that somebody else has not occupied it. Lesson for driver: double check everything when reversing. Lesson for everyone: view reversing lights as alarms, warning you that you may need to get out of the way.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I'm sorry Steve. I see bad stuff regardless of whether I'm on the bike or not. My Big Dummy has been wearing wideloaders this week and I'm pleasantly surprised how the 48cm extra width makes drivers pass carefully. In 'slim-mode' It doesn't seem to make a difference whether my daughter is on board or not.

I hope you get over the shock pronto and you heal quick. I'm glad you have found some traffic free routes. Hang in there...b

I used to take a carpenter's toolbox on the back of my bike, sometimes crossways. Didn't stick out any further than me, but drivers gave me a wider berth. Basically, some drivers out there are more worried about scratching their paintwork than knocking you off your bike and killing you. Bear that in mind and you won't go far wrong. :|