Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by pete75 »

tyreon wrote:What's "Joint Enterprise Rules"? When do they apply? When not? Are these the rules wherein at a murder scene when more than one person is in attendance and no murderer identified,all persons can and are charged with murder?...As in,5 youths going down for a stabbing wherein no one will say who killed X? Or police cannot identify said perpetrator?

Applicable in this case?

Doesn't appear to be.

Criminal law generally only holds offenders liable for their own actions but, under the doctrine of joint enterprise, a person may be found guilty for another person's crime. Simple association or accidental presence during a crime is insufficient for a charge under joint enterprise. A suspect must knowingly assist or encourage the crime and agree to act together with the primary offender for a common purpose.

http://www.kaimtodner.com/law/what_is_joint_enterprise/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The words just do not exist how I feel about this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enlYjxfR5Ic
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Vantage wrote:The words just do not exist how I feel about this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enlYjxfR5Ic

That makes depressing viewing.

What a shambles of a prosecution. I have had few dealings with the justice system, but as an outsider I always imagined the people there to do their job conscientiously and in line with its social importance. Instead it seems they’re just as generally incompetent, work-shy, and morally bankrupt as the riff-raff that populates the bulk of private enterprise.
irc

Post by irc »

So the crook looked like crook. Had multiple previous convictions. Was living on benefits. Had no respect for the court. Had a lawyer paid for by us. And got off with a slap on the wrist.

Go and sit in any court and you will see the same thing happening every day. 9 out of 10 (if not more) are regular offenders and treat it as a bit of a game. So when people complain that the UK puts too many people in jail I see people that haven't had to talk to the victims first hand.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Off topic, but

irc wrote: Was living on benefits.

This sort of thinking needs to stop. Being on benefits doesn't make for a criminal or bad person. Maybe some of them are indeed just spongers, but that's no different to someone who turns up for work and spends all day sitting on their backside while their colleagues do all the work.

Had a lawyer paid for by us

This too. The working man/woman has no say in where his/her tax payments are being spent. Workers pay tax. End of.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH,if I were Reginald Scot I'd be watching my back,recriminations could be in the pipeline :? .
The accused is scum,scum do scumish things and will be well known to the police,who may even be afraid of him.
The law is a joke,there's no justice,yes it's very depressing but not uncommon by any stretch of the imagination in modern day not so,Great Britain.

Oh how we laughed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've sat on a jury once for two days and came away with the impression the whole thing is an expensive shambles. The prosecutor was a dithering wreck and couldn't even get to grips with playing back cctv footage yet alone a digital image from a computer. Despite her worst efforts we found the accused, who funnily enough came from Nottingham, guilty.
This case is more than a shambles it's an absolute disgrace if the resume is close to the truth.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vantage wrote:This sort of thinking needs to stop. Being on benefits doesn't make for a criminal or bad person. Maybe some of them are indeed just spongers, but that's no different to someone who turns up for work and spends all day sitting on their backside while their colleagues do all the work.

If only it was that simple.

I spent a long time living amongst folk who were stereotypical spongers and that guys description rings so many bells...
There's one thing about being on benefits that they all relied on and that's if you have no assets and are reliant on the state the courts have very little power. If that guy actually pays that fine I'd fall off my chair in surprise.
Folk like him are experts at playing the system, a system that only works for those with assets and a job both of which they'd rather not lose.

Whilst it's true to say benefits don't make for bad people conversely I reckon most bad folk are either on benefits or trying their damnedest to live "off the grid".

As for justice, it's a myth peddled by the law abiding classes who seem to have their heads buried fairly deeply in the sand.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Absolutely unbelievable! Can't believe a prosecutor hasn't even bothered to view the only evidence they have, and why oh why did they ask for the court to be lenient? More annoyingly we still don't have a name. Would be interesting to find out the prior convictions too.
irc

Post by irc »

Vantage wrote:This sort of thinking needs to stop. Being on benefits doesn't make for a criminal or bad person.

Indeed. It's the other way round. Being a criminal leads to a life on benefits. The lack of respect for the law and other people doesn't make the most employable of people.

I'm not for one second saying everyone on benefits is a criminal.

This too. The working man/woman has no say in where his/her tax payments are being spent. Workers pay tax. End of.

I disagree. Elections are about choosing how our taxes are spent. People campaign on many issues to try and change govt spending choices.
beardy

Post by beardy »

It is a vicious circle with one leading to another. You can step on to it either from crime leading to poverty or poverty leading to crime.
I was surprised, I had imagined the driver to be an exec (or lawyer) with a sense of power and privilege rather than a benefits claimant. I was possibly swayed by the fact they were driving a big new Volvo. Not what you normally see parked outside the doors of the council estates in Nottingham.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Yes but it was a courtesy car, so their usual car could be anything.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Postboxer wrote:Yes but it was a courtesy car, so their usual car could be anything.

Probably an insurance replacement whilst their old car is at the garage having the previous cyclist removed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:Yes but it was a courtesy car, so their usual car could be anything.

Every courtesy car I've used or seen has been a smallish HB of some kind,I've never been offered or heard of anyone being offered an SUV Volvo :?

There's a lot going on in this case that doesn't add up,and it's not on Mr Scot's side of things.
The police,CPS,charges,Magistates,etc.
All odd, and smacks of organised crime IMHO.
Last edited by reohn2 on 10 Feb 2016, 12:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:

Probably an insurance replacement whilst their old car is at the garage having the previous cyclist removed.

Good one :twisted:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom