Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Steady rider

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by Steady rider »

In this case two drivers had access to the car. There is AFAIK no evidence they were both in the car at the time of the crash.

The video clearly shows the car number plate, but it was a hire vehicle and Nottinghamshire Police said it cannot prove who was driving.

Instead, a man who was eligible to drive the car has been fined £150 for failing to provide driver details

If the man hiring the car is unwilling to say who was driving, he should be given the prison sentence, someone drove the car into the cyclist, failed to stop, ID not disclosed.
Either the person hiring the vehicle or using it needs to held accountable.

So your work hires a car. Various people use it. One of your workmates hits a cyclist and keeps quiet. Are you happy to get a conviction?

If the works hires a car, they have to keep records then of the time and area of use per driver, otherwise the management or owners of the works have to accept responsibility.

So, if 2 are in the vehicle and not disclosing who is driving both are guilty or conspiring, jail term automatic for both. OK sometimes two people will be in the vehicle and both will say the other was driving, both serve a term, one may be Innocent, but the other option is allowing for no effective measures.

If you have a soft system people will use excuses, nearly killing someone, £150 fine, a joke of a system.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

by NATURAL ANKLING » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 pm wrote
Hi,
Trouble is, is that if you say "I never saw them" that would be enough to get you off the hook even if the driver admits they were there.
A local person killed an old guy on a bike and did not leave the scene she was so shook up, and it went to court and she said that she did not see the cyclist even though she overtook and side swiped him, she got a fine only.

Perhaps one answer is for anyone killing someone and who says they did not see them, without very good cause, is to have their licence removed. If they are driving and cannot reliable see people, they are either very poor drivers, dangerous drivers or are lacking in concentration or have some other problem. They are clearly not reliable safe drivers.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Steady rider wrote:
In this case two drivers had access to the car. There is AFAIK no evidence they were both in the car at the time of the crash.

The video clearly shows the car number plate, but it was a hire vehicle and Nottinghamshire Police said it cannot prove who was driving.

Instead, a man who was eligible to drive the car has been fined £150 for failing to provide driver details

If the man hiring the car is unwilling to say who was driving, he should be given the prison sentence, someone drove the car into the cyclist, failed to stop, ID not disclosed.
Either the person hiring the vehicle or using it needs to held accountable.

So your work hires a car. Various people use it. One of your workmates hits a cyclist and keeps quiet. Are you happy to get a conviction?

If the works hires a car, they have to keep records then of the time and area of use per driver, otherwise the management or owners of the works have to accept responsibility.

So, if 2 are in the vehicle and not disclosing who is driving both are guilty or conspiring, jail term automatic for both. OK sometimes two people will be in the vehicle and both will say the other was driving, both serve a term, one may be Innocent, but the other option is allowing for no effective measures.

If you have a soft system people will use excuses, nearly killing someone, £150 fine, a joke of a system.

Agreed - refusal to disclose the driver's identity in these circumstances in my view makes the person refusing equally guilty of the crime. Perhaps a petition could be started/MP's written to etc.?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Something similar is awaiting approval.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brutal ... 351/page-7
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I was once in a situation which shook me :o where I was fiddling with something in a car :oops:
That's enough to make me never do that again....................
I did not know there was a cyclist there in the dark till after I past them and saw them in my rear view mirror :!: , might of been compounded by the rear light on bike flashing at a bad rate, one reason why I have several lights on my rear of bike with one very good one constant always.

SO its highly probable the driver (unknown) of the car was being distracted for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Update recently posted by Reginald Scott https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTkscGs ... e=youtu.be It's about 20 mins.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

trying to draft something,
In the event of road traffic accident, any drivers, passenger or person hiring a vehicle and failing to disclose or provide full information regarding who was driving or occupling a vehicle may be charged with obstructing the law.
irc

Post by irc »

Steady rider wrote:trying to draft something,
In the event of road traffic accident, any drivers, passenger or person hiring a vehicle and failing to disclose or provide full information regarding who was driving or occupling a vehicle may be charged with obstructing the law.

We already have that. Someone got 6pts and £150 fine for it here. I agree punishment should be more though.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Redrafting
In the event of road traffic accident, any drivers, passenger, registered keeper or person hiring a vehicle and failing to disclose or provide full information regarding who was driving or occupling a vehicle may be charged with obstructing the law and be imprisoned for up to 10 years if found guilty.

This may cover nearly any case from someone being killed to minor injuries. a court would decide the term/penalty depending on circumstances. There would be a strong incentive to disclose who was driving.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Steady rider wrote:Redrafting
In the event of road traffic accident, any drivers, passenger, registered keeper or person hiring a vehicle and failing to disclose or provide full information regarding who was driving or occupling a vehicle may be charged with obstructing the law and be imprisoned for up to 10 years if found guilty.

This may cover nearly any case from someone being killed to minor injuries. a court would decide the term/penalty depending on circumstances. There would be a strong incentive to disclose who was driving.

And a similar sentence for leaving the scene of an incident without going to the assistance of injured parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

The idea that an MP 'didn't have time' to watch a video which lasts a few minutes wasn't very impressive.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Reading about it in more detail, it seems to me that the problem was that the police didn't treat this as serious from the start, as they should have done. It was clearly a hit-and-run, and it was only sheer luck that it wasn't a death, so all CCTV in the area should have been secured at once. Once the person responsible for the vehicles had been found, and they and the other person refused to say who was driving, the police ought to have collected evidence as to the whereabouts of both of them.

If they were both in the car, I think they could also both have been prosecuted for at least the not stopping if they both have licences - a driver who is a passenger can be 'done' for offences committed by the driver. It's rare, but it happens.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Flinders wrote:The idea that an MP 'didn't have time' to watch a video which lasts a few minutes wasn't very impressive.

Agree, I thought Reginald quite generous when he described his MP as a nice chap.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Will be interesting to see the next update videos. Can't believe people were just driving around him lying in the road.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Who was the judge and what other cyclist/motorist cases have they been involved with?.